Sponsored by:

Illusive Amber Lenses

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Illusive Amber Lenses

This pic is from a forum member's car, so it may be recognized, but what I want to know are details about the inner amber leses on this 1976 Corvette. I was told they were stock, but no other details. I have never seen or heard of these amber lenses before, and I was hoping someone would know about them.

Can you still get them?

Are they indeed stock lenses?

Thanks for the opinions.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:29 PM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely that car has been overseas before. The amber lenses were used in the european market I believe.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:48 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

That's the rear end of my car. This car is a one owner vehicle purchased brand new in 1976 by my father. He never changed anything, in fact whenever I purchased it from him it had 11,000 original miles on it and was 100% original down to the tires. I never really paid much attention to them or noticed that they were different than other '76s.

Hope somebody can shed some light on this, cause I have no clue. I wonder if switching tail lenses will make me go faster

Last edited by bence13_33; 10-26-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:49 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 432 Likes on 259 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Not Stock !!!

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
This pic is from a forum member's car, so it may be recognized, but what I want to know are details about the inner amber leses on this 1976 Corvette. I was told they were stock, but no other details. I have never seen or heard of these amber lenses before, and I was hoping someone would know about them.

Can you still get them?

Thanks for the opinions.
NOT STOCK !!! maybe for export to EUROPE...........that i'd agree with as that maybe a motor vehicle requirement to have red & amber, it's actually smart so people dont get confused..........they also drive much faster overseas like the autobahn & have more safty regs
EXPORT

ZIXXX PACKER

Last edited by 427SIXPACK; 10-27-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Amber lenses were for export. The aftermarket providers might have some of these.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 10-27-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:39 AM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was unaware that General Motors shipped 1976 Corvettes with Mickey Thompson valve covers as "stock/original" equipment.
The owner claims nothing was changed on the car so I assume it came this way from GM???
Kurt
Old 10-27-2006, 08:49 AM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bence13_33
That's the rear end of my car. This car is a one owner vehicle purchased brand new in 1976 by my father. He never changed anything, in fact whenever I purchased it from him it had 11,000 original miles on it and was 100% original down to the tires. I never really paid much attention to them or noticed that they were different than other '76s.

Hope somebody can shed some light on this, cause I have no clue. I wonder if switching tail lenses will make me go faster

The inner lenses on 76 (and most other year C3s) are reflectors. It appears light reflection (sun or camera flash) and the angle of the pic is making the lenses appear more orange. Stock lenses should be red with the inner onces having a clear center (backup lights). I've never seen orange inner lenses offered (e.g. Eckler's, MAD, Corvette Central, etc.) or on a C3.

Shane - got any other pics of your "rear" to help prove my theory?

Last edited by SharkAttack; 10-27-2006 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:56 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy

Can you still get them?

Thanks for the opinions.
Ok something doesnt add up here.How can the amber be lit up and the center clear backup lens is not? These lights are wide open inside -1 bulb does it all. To light that amber "ALL" the way around would take several bulbs if the backup center actually worked and is sealed off from the amber- otherwise the 2 different functions would interfere with each other.Are you sure this photo isnt messed with?
Old 10-27-2006, 09:01 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by ksbunting
I was unaware that General Motors shipped 1976 Corvettes with Mickey Thompson valve covers as "stock/original" equipment.
The owner claims nothing was changed on the car so I assume it came this way from GM???
Kurt
Oh and thats a big block in a 76??? Getting deeper all the time.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:02 AM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Ok something doesnt add up here.How can the amber be lit up and the center clear backup lens is not? These lights are wide open inside -1 bulb does it all. To light that amber "ALL" the way around would take several bulbs if the backup center actually worked and is sealed off from the amber- otherwise the 2 different functions would interfere with each other.Are you sure this photo isnt messed with?
The red area of the inner lenses is not a light, only a reflector. Hence my theory above that it's simply light reflection. The tail/brake lights are "off" in this pic.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:15 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by SharkAttack
The red area of the inner lenses is not a light, only a reflector. Hence my theory above that it's simply light reflection. The tail/brake lights are "off" in this pic.

And isnt amber a directional function--why are they both on at the same time-hazard warning? the red ones should be on also !!!
Old 10-27-2006, 09:22 AM
G dad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on what angle the picture was taken...might check to find out that they are not amber at all...I have apicture of my 79 someplace & I remember that the lens looked amber....
Old 10-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

When I saw them originally I emailed him about it, and he said they were amber but were stock. I would like a better pic of those lenses to varify that though.

Also, I'll put an offer on the table to buy them from you and I'll send you a pair of red reverse lenses free in the offer. PM me if interested.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:31 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Oh and thats a big block in a 76??? Getting deeper all the time.
Ok first of all before you go spouting off calling me a liar, you know nothing of me sir. You've been on here what 5 months, I've been on here 6 years. I built the big block and put it in myself. I said that when I purchased the car from my father it had 11,000 original miles and was original down to the tires...I have owned the car for 7 years and have modified it because I do not care for numbers matching. My signature says it's stock and is meant to be a running joke because it is far from stock anymore. It is also a drag racing thing, always under play what you have.

See above about the Mickey Thompson valve covers.

Now as far as the lenses, I can't remember what color they are I thought they were clear but everyone seems to think they are amber. I don't have any other pictures (they are on my computer in PA) and my car is in Pennsylvania and I am in Atlanta. I will be moving home in about a week so I can check them then. You have to understand I have driven it once in like 2 years.

Last edited by bence13_33; 10-27-2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:44 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by SharkAttack
The inner lenses on 76 (and most other year C3s) are reflectors. It appears light reflection (sun or camera flash) and the angle of the pic is making the lenses appear more orange. Stock lenses should be red with the inner onces having a clear center (backup lights). I've never seen orange inner lenses offered (e.g. Eckler's, MAD, Corvette Central, etc.) or on a C3.
It's a combination of an odd angle, reflected light and a lousy camera.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

I'd love to get confirmation, and see that it is in fact amber lenses. That'd be the berries. If they are in fact reflecting an odd color, then I will settle for that. When he gets home and checks he may come back to this thread and post the new info. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:43 PM
demonx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume it is as follows

Red = breaks
Amber = turning indicator
Clear = Reverse

To answer how the amber and clear can be lit seperately, usually dual light have a silver reflective seperator and seperate globes.

I cannot comment on if this is the same setup on a car in the USA though.

Get notified of new replies

To Illusive Amber Lenses

Old 10-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by demonx
I assume it is as follows

Red = breaks
Amber = turning indicator
Clear = Reverse

To answer how the amber and clear can be lit seperately, usually dual light have a silver reflective seperator and seperate globes.

I cannot comment on if this is the same setup on a car in the USA though.

So you have seen this in Aus.? Do you have access to any Vette catalogs from down under? Do you know if they are still offered there?
Old 10-27-2006, 07:00 PM
demonx
Racer

This is the rear end of a car in Australia, however the car is a USA import.

As far as I know the older vettes were never Australian issue, but if they were, they would have looked like the clear/amber/red as thats what all our other road cars look like.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by ksbunting
Kurt
He never claimed that he didn't do anything to the car.

Quick Reply: Illusive Amber Lenses