Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evercoat SMC Resin - What's your take?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Default Evercoat SMC Resin - What's your take?

Everything I have read online about SMC repair says use Epoxy resin only, that polyester resin won't bond to SMC. Indeed, I bought some fiberglass repair to fill in some custom work on the hood, using a name brand polyester resin (Marson) that was clearly labled in large bold letters on the front of the can "Compatible with SMC". Last week I made the repair with glass strand all rolled out nice, it all looked good. A couple days later I closed the hood and the bond cracked. I picked at it and low and behold, with very little effort, lifted the whole 12" long by 2" wide repair right off! Mind you, I had beveled the area well with 24 grit. But it didn't adhere. I am glad I caught it when I did.

Today, the bodyshop supply outfit recommended Evercoat SMC Resin, which I bought today. Upon closer look at the product description nowhere on the can does it say "Epoxy" resin,. Furthermore, it lists Polyester resin as the primary ingredient. I does say not to use it over Epoxy resin, so that to me differentiates it from true Epoxy resin.
Needless to say, after reading the Evercoat can, I'm leary. I am not going to chance it. I'll go ahead and get true Epoxy resin. Just thought I'd share my story. Would like to know if anybody has used it and what experiences they've had w/Evercoat SMC resin? What other products have you used, or would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Mark G
Old 11-22-2006, 04:08 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I used FE SMC resin many times with great results. I also sell it to many professional body shops and have never had a complaint other than the price. Also I would use a 36 or 50 grit instead of 24.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:12 PM
sarchevyman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to my jobber yesterday and he was out and he sold me a two part adhesive that he said he used on his 70 vette to repair and bond panels, I have to say that stuff is hard as a rock, kind of like the old bonding product that was on the panels, seemed to work great, I guess time will tell. Not sure of the name, its over at my shop.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:04 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

bump
Old 02-15-2007, 10:18 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

It's not uncommon to just have a bad batch.
I would use an epoxy just to be safe.

If you're unsure as to composition, Mix a little MEK with the resin, if it hardens it's polyester, if it acts like a thinner, it's epoxy, usually.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:13 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

bump
Old 02-15-2007, 11:41 PM
VETTEVIC
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fusor, You can get it at Sherwin Williams auto paint supplies online. You'll need to get the gun though to apply it cause it comes in a two part tube. Thats what GM recommends.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:55 AM
murvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The topic is very confusing. the resin that adheres to smc is vinyl ester resin a form of polyester resin ( evercoat smc resin) The key is to use the least amount of resin on repairs . The resin alone is very brittle and weak ,It is the glass that gives it the strength. As adhesion goes vinyl ester is the best. Also there is a shelf life on all these products, and the supplier dosent like to talk about that. just my 02 best of luck on your project ,mur
Old 02-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

I took the Evercoat SMC Resin back and went with the Eckler's Epoxy. More money? Sure. But don't want to go back and do again. FWIW, the other resin I used got rock hard as well ...plus it feathered out fine. Still, was able to pull it up w/o hardly any effort. I tested the Epoxy the same way and wouldn't pull up.

Mark G
Old 02-17-2007, 02:15 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Anybody else out there which has used this product with positive results?

Get notified of new replies

To Evercoat SMC Resin - What's your take?

Quick Reply: Evercoat SMC Resin - What's your take?