Sponsored by:

1971 trim tag date vs VIN calculated build date

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 08:29 AM
pkgtaxcpa
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1971 trim tag date vs VIN calculated build date

I have a 1971 vert. The entire drivetrain is not original. The calculated build date for my car (VIN # 194671S105872) is January 8, 1971. However, my trim tag date code is J04 which) if I decoded it correctly, would be a body completion date of May 4, (presumably 1971). So, have I decoded both correctly? If yes, what does it mean? What could the explainations for the variance be? What else could I do to investigate more? And finally, if I am looking for dated parts for my car, what date should I be looking at? Thanks in advance, Patrick
Old 01-17-2007, 08:43 AM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

pkgtaxcpa, you have decoded them correctly......I would have to guess the trim plate was replaced.

Last edited by gq82; 01-17-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:09 AM
pkgtaxcpa
Instructor

What might the reason be for changing the trim tag. The tag's date, trim and paint codes do not currently match the car. I would understand it if you wanted the tag to match a change made to the car. Any thoughts? Could the trim tag area be from one car and the windshield post with the VIN # be from another car? Should and/or can I find and replace the trim tag to match the car?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:31 AM
halfmoontrail
Drifting

The VIN tag could easily be from another car, whether as part of a windsheild frame repair, or just a VIN tag swap. Does the VIN tag have the rosette rivets, and appear untouched? Does the trim tag appear untouched?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:44 AM
pkgtaxcpa
Instructor

I don't know which might have been replace. I'll have to get up to speed with what they are supposed to look like. I looked for my VIN # on the frame last night. I think it's supposed to be on the vertical surface of the frame just behind the rear driver wheel (not positive of exact location at this time), but couldn't see it. The frame has a heavy coat of paint on it. Similar to truck bed liner coating but not as thick or textured. I'll have to find it and compare it to the windshield post VIN. The car is not a "numbers matching" car in any respect. The entire drivetrain has been replaced, the front clip was changed to a 1980 style clip, then changed back to a 1971 clip (per prior owner). The doors are from a coupe (mines a vert), and who knows what else might not be original or was replaced. So the VIN/trim tage difference will not be a problem for me except I intend to restore the car to its proper look and components (with some exceptions), and this is one thing I think should be resolved. All input is appreciated. Patrick
Old 01-17-2007, 09:46 AM
pkgtaxcpa
Instructor

If I can figure out how to post pictures (haven't tried yet), I post them for more experienced eyes to examine.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:27 AM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll give you a similar example, that we ran into, when my friend bought a '70 LT-1 coupe. He brought home a white coupe with blue interior, the vin tag and engine pad stamp both indicated an early car, about 4 thousand something and matched with correct broaching marks and lettering font size and style. The trim tag showed a much later date and color and trim were different.

This LT-1 had correct high rpm tachometer, but also had a/c center vents, but center console showed non a/c controls. Interior had been redone in some kind of tuck & roll upholstery to door panels, center console, seats & upper dash pad. Upon closer investigation the inside rear compartment behind seatback was white, however front compartment was green underneath carpet. In the engine bay the firewall fiberglass was the style for an a/c car with attachments for the washer bag on drivers side and not the hard plastic bottle on passenger side.

As we pulled back the carpets right at the seats hinge area, we could see where this car had been sectioned in two, so we had assumed that this car had caught fire under the dash and a used section from an a/c car was put in, including the trim tag that gave a much later date code and color trim from another car!
Old 01-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by pkgtaxcpa
...Could the trim tag area be from one car and the windshield post with the VIN # be from another car?
Could be, but not likely. It's more likely the VIN is original and the trim tag has been replaced.

Remove the driver's side windhsield post interior trim. This will allow you to get a look at the rivet heads on the VIN tag. You should see rosette head rivets. If you see regular pop rivet heads, you can begin to suspect the VIN plate has been swapped.

Trim tag attaches with regular rivets -- nothing special about them -- and that makes swapping a trim tag rather easy to do.

Pull up the carpet behind one of the seats. You will almost certainly find evidence of the original interior color on the fiberglass beneath the carpets. That will give you a pretty good hunch of what the original color was.

Remove the trim tag. Body color should be beneath the tag since the tags were attached after the car had been painted. You could also remove a taillight assembly and check for evidence of the original exterior color. Lots of cars have been repainted, but most folks mask the taillights and do not remove them when repainting.

What are the car's colors now? What are the codes on the trim tag?

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 trim tag date vs VIN calculated build date

Quick Reply: 1971 trim tag date vs VIN calculated build date