Sponsored by:

Changing Color of Seat Belts can it be done

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing Color of Seat Belts can it be done

I have a set of blue/green seat belts in my garage w/very nice chrome GM buckles. My question can I dye or change the color to black. If so what dye would/could I use.
Thanks
Jim
Old 01-25-2007, 04:48 PM
JUSBAD
Pro

when I picked up my carpet at Willcox, I through out this same question. He told me that it can be done by soaking the belts in a bucket using RIT dye. I am getting ready to try doing mine in the next couple of days ( I have an extra belt that is not to be used, so if it goes bad I wont be out anything). RIT dye costs about $2.50 for a bottle. Will keep you posted and I will take pics also.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:54 PM
11Jake
Racer

I had just posted the same thread about a week 5 days ago. I am doing the same thing changing my red belts to black. Some members suggested using RIT dye that you can get in the grocery store that is used for dying clothing. They all said that they had great results; some said that the RIT can weaken the belts. I am not sure how that can be true considering that when you buy new ones that they had to be dyed. I picked up a bottle of RIT yesterday for $3.00 and going to attempt the job this weekend.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing both of your pic's of the dye job. My only concern is the dye rubbing off or fading quickly.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I've dyed LOTS of seatbelts.

I've used both RIT and TINTEX dyes, available at your local grocery store.

BUT, I learned that it's very hard to dye over an existing color, SO...

When you buy your dye, buy the corresponding dye stripper. This will remove the old dye, and turn the belts an "ecru" or light beige color.

THEN, redye them. They'll look LOTS better that way.

Let me also add than when I was in the seatbelt "era" of my life, , I completely disassembled the belts. Make a note of the stitching patterns.

Take a straight razor blade and carefully remove all the stitches AND the labels.

Once the belts are redyed, then you reassemble them. You CANNOT use your wife's sewing machine. It isn't heavy duty enough for the job.

I have an upholsterer who resews them for me, using the correct stitch pattern.

I'll add that it is ILLEGAL to repair or resew seat belts, BUT I do it for restoration purposes. If you know someone in the business, they'll do it for you.

If you "cold call" places and ask, they'll tell you to go away.

Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To Changing Color of Seat Belts can it be done

Quick Reply: Changing Color of Seat Belts can it be done