C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you buy a chrome conversion kit for your rubber bumper car?
No. I like my rubber bumpers
71.69%
Yes, but only if the F&R cost was under $1500
13.86%
Yes, but only if the F&R cost was between $1500 and $2500
7.23%
Yes, even if the cost was greater than $2500
7.23%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Chrome Bumper Conversion Kit for Rubber Bumper 'Vettes

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:24 AM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Default POLL: Chrome Bumper Conversion Kit for Rubber Bumper 'Vettes

After keeping up with Sevensteps original thread, I still find no poll on who with rubber bumpers would buy a chrome bumper conversion kit if one was offered. I have no dog in this hunt but also don't consider myself a "chrome bumper elitist" as a couple of posts in the original thread have called those of us who own a '68-'73. It's your car, do what you want.

So, vote if you wish and let's see what the verdict is...
Old 05-31-2007, 10:36 AM
hosspowerinc
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id do it if the cost was under 1500 but I would only want the chrome rear. It would have to be a bolt on kit that could be returned back to stock as well. Its never going to happen though....
Old 05-31-2007, 10:57 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

I voted No but not because I like the rubber bumpers. It would be MAJOR surgery so best bet if you want steel bumpers is to sell the rubber bumper car and by a steel bumper car.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:03 AM
79L82owner
Pro

. . . if I liked chrome bumpers, I just would have bought a chrome bumper car in the first place.

. . .bubble window and a chrome bumper
Old 05-31-2007, 11:09 AM
column5
Instructor

I dig the stock look of my '74, so I voted no.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:19 AM
ccs96
Pro

St. Jude Donor 06-'07

No way, if I wanted steel bumpers I would buy a steel bumper car.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:23 AM
Sevensteps
Advanced

Default One more time...

Originally Posted by Tom73
I voted No but not because I like the rubber bumpers. It would be MAJOR surgery so best bet if you want steel bumpers is to sell the rubber bumper car and by a steel bumper car.
It is not "major surgery at best". You need to go back a re-read the original thread. We are talking about a bolt-on kit that replaces the front nose piece only. There is no "surgery" except what is entailed in ubolting the original nose piece and bolting the new one on.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Sevensteps
Advanced

Default Not enough specifics...

Without pictures of a completed prototype and all of the negative posts in my last thread and "poo=poos" of the idea, I completely expect more "no" votes than yes..

It is fashionable and trendy to "like what ya got" and not wish it was something else and I understand that...However, if this kit was done right, it would be successful and people would want it.

You would have to see a completed car and compare all angles to a "before" shot to really be able to grasp what the kit consisted of and how much more desireable it would look.

Voting now "NO" based on not enough specifics of the completed model, what labor is involved, the quality, and most importantly what it LOOKS like, is uninformed at best.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have one of each. I do not want rubber on my '68 and I do not want chrome on my '80.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:47 AM
dabrogger
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a huge fan of chrome bumper cars and my dream car is a 1970 (my birth year) big block 4-speed, red of course. I am, however, happy with my red '77 l-48. Someday I will get my dream car but until then, I'm satisfied with what I have. I'm all for modifying cars too but there are certain things I feel shouldn't be done like putting a big block hood and emblems on a small block car...for that matter putting l-82 badging on an l-48. Another thing that really gets my goat is people who put z-71 4x4 stickers on 2 wheel drive trucks. I guess these people don't think a person can tell the difference???
Old 05-31-2007, 11:49 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sevensteps
It is not "major surgery at best". You need to go back a re-read the original thread. We are talking about a bolt-on kit that replaces the front nose piece only. There is no "surgery" except what is entailed in ubolting the original nose piece and bolting the new one on.
The nose is different so would not be a bolt on. Only way to do a bolt on would be to create a "different" front bumper assembly that would fit the different nose. But that would not look like the original steel bumper cars. The rear chrome bumpers would be even more surgery as the quarters and deck are different. Would require a major grafting operation.

But I guess that a reasonable cost steel bumper setup could be designed to replace the rubber bumper caps if you did not care if it did not look like the original steel bumper cars. Would be more of a custom car look.

Last edited by Tom73; 05-31-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:58 AM
ccs96
Pro

St. Jude Donor 06-'07

Without pictures of a completed prototype and all of the negative posts in my last thread and "poo=poos" of the idea, I completely expect more "no" votes than yes..

It is fashionable and trendy to "like what ya got" and not wish it was something else and I understand that...However, if this kit was done right, it would be successful and people would want it.

You would have to see a completed car and compare all angles to a "before" shot to really be able to grasp what the kit consisted of and how much more desireable it would look.

Voting now "NO" based on not enough specifics of the completed model, what labor is involved, the quality, and most importantly what it LOOKS like, is uninformed at best.
There are no pictures of a prototype! There is no prototype! There are no specifics! And I don't want a steel bumper on my 76! I have fiberglass bumpers glassed in to the body and they look great.

Seven, you need to understand that not everyone likes what you like. If you want this "bolt on" faux pre 73 bumper thing, then go for it, get with several companies and convince them they'll make big bucks on this deal.
My dos centavos.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:03 PM
chevy69
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

I did not vote because I don't have rubber bumpers. That said, I am not an elitist, and I am certainly not against someone doing this. I am only thinking that the price to do it may be prohibitive. The direction this poll is taking is part of the positive next steps I mentioned in the other thread. Get good data to create a sound business case and you might convince someone to take on the R&D.

BTW: My '69 will not be stock, so I too have made multiple mods including wheels, steeroids, killer lights conversion, hydroboost brakes, fiberglass spring, sidepipes, the list goes on. I won't likely use the stock paint color either. I enjoy well done modified cars. IMHO, I still think there is not a great enough return on investment for a company to undertake this product but if I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:13 PM
79L82owner
Pro

The idea reminds me of those Ferrari Testarossa body kits that they were putting on Fiero's back in the 80's . . . sure, they sold a few- but its just wrong.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:16 PM
Sevensteps
Advanced

Default Exactly

Originally Posted by Tom73
The nose is different so would not be a bolt on. Only way to do a bolt on would be to create a "different" front bumper assembly that would fit the different nose. But that would not look like the original steel bumper cars. The rear chrome bumpers would be even more surgery as the quarters and deck are different. Would require a major grafting operation.

But I guess that a reasonable cost steel bumper setup could be designed to replace the rubber bumper caps if you did not care if it did not look like the original steel bumper cars. Would be more of a custom car look.
Exactly...Just something to make it look more like what GM should have done to it starting in 1973...Here's a quick photoshop from another user of what one may look like...

Old 05-31-2007, 12:20 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

It looks OK but IMHO, this idea would NOT "sell like hot cakes" like was said in the other thread. Most of us with rubber bumpers are perfectly happy with our cars.

Last edited by SteveG75; 05-31-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Sevensteps
Advanced

Default rear bumper...

Originally Posted by SteveG75
The pic above does not look too bad but I think a chrome front, rubber rear is just wrong.

It looks OK but IMHO, this idea would NOT "sell like hot cakes" like was said in the other thread. Most of us with rubber bumpers are perfectly happy with our cars.
I looked very closely at my rear bumper....It could be custom designed the same exact way. Give it the 80-82 style spoiler, (reminiscent of the 68-72 rear spoilers), but pull the contour in to a more concave style and don't recess the tailights. The whole rear bumper cover could be remolded to resemble a 1972 style along with a chrome "bumper" that attached to via specialized brackets and hardware that came with the kit.

Get notified of new replies

To POLL: Chrome Bumper Conversion Kit for Rubber Bumper 'Vettes

Old 05-31-2007, 12:33 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

I looked very closely at my rear bumper....It could be custom designed the same exact way. Give it the 80-82 style spoiler, (reminiscent of the 68-72 rear spoilers), but pull the contour in to a more concave style and don't recess the tailights. The whole rear bumper cover could be remolded to resemble a 1972 style along with a chrome "bumper" that attached to via specialized brackets and hardware that came with the kit.
But then you would have to remove the reinforcement bar. I actually had to have the shop custom trim my bar in order to keep it when I swapped to the 80-82 rear. Sorry, I just don't think the safety hazrd is worth it.

That said, you could probably do the mod for about $1500 per an end. That is assuming mass production which I do not see the demand for.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Exactly...Just something to make it look more like what GM should have done to it starting in 1973...
Don't know if I would agree with you there about what GM should have done.

Here is a statement regarding comments from Larry Shinoda:

"Larry Shinoda, the famous Corvette designer, once commented in an interview that the 1973 was his favorite of the post-1967 era because the front and rear styling were closest to what the stylists originally had in mind when this series was first designed."

(Illustrated Corvette Buyer's Guide by Michael Antonick).

tom...
Old 05-31-2007, 01:10 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I voted no because I happen to like the rubber bumpers. The chrome bumpers are ok, but not as much to my personal taste. I think some kits would sell, doubt there would be enough though to make any $ on them.
Kind of a neat idea tho

Quick Reply: POLL: Chrome Bumper Conversion Kit for Rubber Bumper 'Vettes