C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the value of a running #matching 1968 327 motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:31 PM
James B
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Default What is the value of a running #matching 1968 327 motor?

I have run across a 1968 327 corvette motor and I was wondering what the value is on it. At the very least the block and heads match or so I have been told. If I go look at it and it turns out not to be a corvette 327 what would the value of a 327 be? The motor is complete down to the brackets.

Thanks

James
Old 05-31-2007, 10:38 PM
vncruiser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give $500.00.....Paid $300.00 for the one i have now (less brackets) with only 2,000 miles on a rebuild......
Old 05-31-2007, 11:16 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 807 Posts

That is not a bad find. '68 327 has the big journals so it would be one of the strongest 327's ever built. The most journal overlap out there I believe. If it is the steel crank version it would be even better. With the right parts it would be an old school bullet proof RPM MONSTER Forged pistons, shaft mounted rockers, solid lifters, garage door valve springs, etc. That is the only way to build that engine IMHO. You have to want to spin it up to crazy RPMs. Drive it like you hate it.

-Mark.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The value depends on what you want it for. If it's close to the my 68, non-original motor vette, it would be very valuable to me.
BTW, post the numbers when you get a chance.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Without the '68 Corvette which came with it, it's just a smallblock. If the Corvette exists, and if the owner would like to have the original engine, then it has some value.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Does it have to be an exact #s matching? I thought there was a time window that was still acceptable as #s matching.

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Without the '68 Corvette which came with it, it's just a smallblock. If the Corvette exists, and if the owner would like to have the original engine, then it has some value.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:37 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Garys 68
Does it have to be an exact #s matching? I thought there was a time window that was still acceptable as #s matching.
"Matching" is just that - they either do or do not - there is no "window" (sorry Yoda). "Matching Numbers" means VIN on motor MATCHES VIN of car.

Will you take $600 ?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:00 AM
kevinator80
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

Old 06-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Garys 68
Window for assembly date, yes. No window on the VIN derivative.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:42 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It probably has some value as a time correct engine and complete is nice. I'd say $500 assuming it's in good shape. Complete with Corvette intake, carb, distributor, brackets, etc a bit more.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:14 PM
James B
Burning Brakes

It is for sale for 500 dollars. I wrote down some numbers for the different engine codes on a 68 327 So when I go look at it I can determine which motor it is.

The codes I wrote down were HE, HO, HP, and HT. I am guessing that these will be located on the passenger side near where the vin number is stamped.

If the motor turns out not to be a corvette 327 but is still a large journal 1968 327, how much would it be worth then? The motor is in running condition right now.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:19 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by James B
It is for sale for 500 dollars. I wrote down some numbers for the different engine codes on a 68 327 So when I go look at it I can determine which motor it is.

The codes I wrote down were HE, HO, HP, and HT. I am guessing that these will be located on the passenger side near where the vin number is stamped.

If the motor turns out not to be a corvette 327 but is still a large journal 1968 327, how much would it be worth then? The motor is in running condition right now.
IMHO - it is just a core. You can look at the crank to see if it is a forged unit or not but after that, it is just a core. It will need an overhaul. It is just a run of the mill 4" block the same as every other passenger car 2-bolt main 327/350 block. The heads might have some value to a restorer if they are the double hump 327/350 heads but that would be a rare find. Sell them to get good money back. You can use the crank but if it is cast, it is about as valuable as a 307 crank. Brackets and tin can be used over if it fits the chassis. The rest you will probably want to replace one way or another. If the seller wants $500 and it is a Vette engine you should probably start your offer lower and work your way up. Even with that, how far off can you be?

If it is just a 68 327 out of a Caprice it still has value as a hot rod core, just not as much. If it still sounds good to you, then buy it. Having the double hump heads to part out should seal the deal IMHO.

-Mark.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:55 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You might ask this question on the NCRS site. There may be somebody looking for that engine or at least heads in that date range.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:03 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems real strange that every other collector car values a correct motor whether it's numbers matching or correctly dated a lot more than us vette guys.

I know that a correctly date coded non original motor will score higher than some junk yard block would and with all the correct parts included IMHO makes this motor worth a heck of alot more than $500.

Again just my opinion.

Just for the hell of it next time your at a judged show ask a judge if he thinks it's worth it to have a correctly dated non original motor.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:28 PM
copter
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to run the #'s Everybody that has a 327 says it's a vette motor.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:37 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

NCRS will tell you 6 month window and a VIN restamp IS allowed.
IS allowed. IS !!

They don't really care if the exact same motor ... just that it is
the correct motor that would be installed at that time period.
That doesn't keep you from ridicule of other owners or wannabes.

So, no window on the VIN, 'cause you don't need one ... just $500 for a restamp.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:58 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DZRick

I know that a correctly date coded non original motor will score higher than some junk yard block would and with all the correct parts included IMHO makes this motor worth a heck of alot more than $500.
I would agree with that. The NCRS scoring is very highly structured and most of the available points can be achieved without actualy matching the numbers. A NOM engine Vette can actualy score a Top Flight but it is definately a lot easier if the whole thing matches.

Most of the 350 available NCRS cylinder case points can be achieved from #1 - having the correct casting. Without that you get a 350 point deduct and thats the end of the points. If you have the right casting number, then they will look at the casting date of the block. If the block was cast after the car was built or more than 6 months before the car was built, you get a 175 point deduct from the 350 total available cylinder case points and the cylinder case judging stops there. If you have a casting date before the car was built by no more than 6 months and no later than the vehicle production date, they check the VIN/suffix stamp. The matching VIN/derivative stamp is last check at and is only a very small part of the total available engine points in an NCRS judged competition. They will deduct 25 points each if the VIN stamp or the assembly stamp is wrong in any way BUT the pad must not be obscured with rust, grease, or dirt. It needs to have visible factory broach marks, and no paint or paint (depending on model year). If it fails on any of those you loose 38 points from the 350 total available. Simple, right?!?!

Now matching VIN/suffix numbers on the block will have a more drastic effect on Vette PRICE at selling time but that is not on the table here unless there is a Vette that matches up with this particular engine floating around.

Not all that much fun if you ask me.

-Mark.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the value of a running #matching 1968 327 motor?

Old 06-03-2007, 06:01 PM
James B
Burning Brakes

Well I went and looked at the engine today. It is the orginal engine that is in the car. The code on the front of the engine was HO which indicated a 300 horse car. It had an an automatic transmission as well. I did not look at any date codes because I decided that if it was not the HT code I was not going to buy the engine.

If anyone is interested I will send them the link where I found the engine for sale. It is located in Raleigh NC.

Thank yall for the help!

James
Old 06-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by James B
Well I went and looked at the engine today. It is the orginal engine that is in the car. The code on the front of the engine was HO which indicated a 300 horse car. It had an an automatic transmission as well. I did not look at any date codes because I decided that if it was not the HT code I was not going to buy the engine.

If anyone is interested I will send them the link where I found the engine for sale. It is located in Raleigh NC.

Thank yall for the help!

James
HO is correct for a '68 Corvette 327/300 with automatic transmission.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:01 PM
blunblk68
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

not my vettes original mine came with the 350 hp 327 and a 4 speed! dang

Quick Reply: What is the value of a running #matching 1968 327 motor?