Sponsored by:

100% P'od....officialy

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:39 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Default 100% P'od....officialy

I tackling my radiator/fan shroud installation. Rather than convert to an electric setup I decided to go as OEM as possible.

Over the past week I ordered:

1. Fan shroud $250
2. Extension for fan shroud $60
3. Fan shroud seals $30
4. Fan shroud brackets $30
5. Shroud bracket bolts $20
6. Radiator hoses $40
7. Heater hose(s)......another issue
8. Bolt kit to connect 1. and 2. together $30?

As you all know its not possible to insatll a fan shroud with the radiator installed. Being a good CF member I did a search and found out a few things.

1. Hood needs to removed so you can:
2. Unbolt radiator surrond so it can be pivoted forward to provide more room.

All by my lonesome on a hot humid Sunday I:

1. Removed radiator
2. Removed hood
3. Loosened surrond
4. Removed A/C condensor for more room

All of this and the F-in radiator and shroud will not F-in fit. There is no F-in way that shroud is fitting around the control arm while allowing the lower radiator hose fitting to hook around the side o the shroud. No F-in way. On top of this the surrond isnt moving forward. It flexes but it doesnt move. It seems the big bolts on the bottom are holsding it firm.

As a result of all of this one of the mounting tabs on the bottom of the shroud broke. Its the tab opposite the half broken stud on the surrond. Now, there's almost no way to securely attach bottom of the shroud.

This F-in sucks.

All the extra crap that I haven't used is getting returned and I'm going to an electric fan setup. We'll see how well the vendors (2 of them) handle returns.

Jim
Old 06-04-2007, 09:24 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The Electrics will go in so much easier your going to kick yourself
Old 06-04-2007, 09:28 AM
chuck d
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through this with my 73. I recored the radiator, replaced all the seals and installed the whole mess including the shroud. Someone modified the shroud in the past to make this easier. You are right, it was a tough job. I might be tempted to go the electric fan route next time.

Last edited by chuck d; 06-04-2007 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Pic not attached
Old 06-04-2007, 09:41 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I always put the shroud in first,slide it back towards engine and secure with bungys.Lean the core support forward with the 2 large bottom bolts still in place and secure with bungys.All 6 side bolts out.Remove right front upper A-arm washer and bolt.With cardboard on both sides of radiator I slide the rad. down between shroud and core support.It is a bit of a jig saw puzzel and takes lots patience.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:01 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Originally Posted by chuck d
I just went through this with my 73. I recored the radiator, replaced all the seals and installed the whole mess including the shroud. Someone modified the shroud in the past to make this easier. You are right, it was a tough job. I might be tempted to go the electric fan route next time.
My shroud looks different than your. The new repalcement part number seems to be bigger around the bottom.

DWncchs. I'll give it one more try this afternoon using your '6 bolt' technique.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:38 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

When I did my 75, I had to pivot the support forward, also had to unbolt upper AArms and swivel out of the way, shroud then cleared and fell into place.
I just removed the shroud from my 69 big block, shroud out first after moving support forward (front of engine was void of anything), and then support with radiator in it was pulled out. I did this with the car up on ramps which made it harder and required me and a friend on each side to pull up and out. GOOD F------------ING LUCK
Old 06-04-2007, 11:04 AM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Install the shroud, radiator, and support as one unit. Get someone to help for an hour or so.
How the f did you get the hood off by yourself without causing any damage and how the f do you plan on reinstalling it by yourself.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:39 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I also was wondering how in the world you would get the hood off by yourself.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:13 PM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
Is this directed to me?!?!?! If so, the wife grabbed one side and we layed it on top of the roof of the car, after all it is fiberglass and manageable by one person. I choose to use the wife to remove, but I regularly move it around on my own......................B
Old 06-04-2007, 08:34 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Originally Posted by C3 4ME

I gots mad skillz.

Update.....Well I ended up loosening the 2 big bolts on the bottom of the surrond and was able to get it all in. For some strange reason I decided to try and take the radiator back out and broke the petcock off. It wouldnt come out so I completely un bolted the surrond and removed everything.

Tomorrow its off to the radiator shop.

Pics to follow....

Get notified of new replies

To 100% P'od....officialy

Quick Reply: 100% P'od....officialy