Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil filter PF454 and PF454CL

Old 07-08-2007, 09:55 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default oil filter PF454 and PF454CL

I am going to change my oil, and since it seems they keep changing the part numbers thought I would find out what I need before heading over to Pep Boys. Nothing I hate worse than asking them to find out what part I need!! So I see AC Delco has a PF454, which I have used already, but they also have a PF454CL "classic design".
What does that mean? Does it just look more like the old PF25? They are both the same length, ie 81mm. I will go see what they have. My backup is WIX 51069.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:09 AM
75 Red Vert
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know the difference in the AC Delco part numbers, but I have been using K&N. A little more, but I do like the bolt on the bottom. Makes life a little easier.

I think the 454 is your part.

I've always been happy with Wix too.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:19 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Another great trip to Pep Boys. I walk in and head for the oil filters. Very limited selection of AC Delco, and no PF454. OK, how bout Mobil1? I leaf through the catalog to find the xref #, and of course they don't have that either. Lots of Fram, lots of Purolator, but I don't know the # and don't really want those anyway. I consider asking at the parts counter and stand there for a couple of minutes, but there are 2 people in front of me in line and that probably means at least a 15 minute wait for most likely an unsatisfactory answer, so I cut my losses and leave.

I will try a local parts store (that carries AC Delco) tomorrow.

I also put together an order at Rock Auto. They really have a great online catalog. gives you part#s which is nice. Prices are reasonable, but my 8 spark plugs and 2 oil filters and some oil drain gaskets was going to have a $16 shipping charge, so I bagged that too.

Last edited by PRNDL; 07-08-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:08 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

If you have an oreilly around, get a WIX 51061. Great filter at a reasonable price. It's what the AC-Delco PF35 used to be before they discontinued it.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:56 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

No Oreilly's, but there is a "real" autoparts store that carries AC Delco. So I got spark plugs and 1 each PF454 and PF454 CL. They both look identical.... except the holes on the bottom. Oil fitler expert will have to explain the difference to me.

Look the same?

Here is the difference:

Yep, they sure are different!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:17 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Take a look at this. Interesting reading on a number of currently available oil filter brands and what is inside them. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:16 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by stock76
Take a look at this. Interesting reading on a number of currently available oil filter brands and what is inside them. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html.
A very interesting read. Seems that conventional wisdon is about right. AC Delco and Wix are good choices but one that I've always liked, Bosch, is good as well.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Sharkboy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
No Oreilly's, but there is a "real" autoparts store that carries AC Delco. So I got spark plugs and 1 each PF454 and PF454 CL. They both look identical.... except the holes on the bottom. Oil fitler expert will have to explain the difference to me.

Look the same?

Here is the difference:

Yep, they sure are different!

Many years ago a buddy who was a mechanic used this same example to compare Brand A filter to Brand B. He insisted that more holes equals greater flow capacity before the filtering media is bypassed. More holes makes the one on the right the winner according to this oil filter...expert...never mind.

Curt
Old 07-10-2007, 04:23 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by PRNDL
Another great trip to Pep Boys. I walk in and head for the oil filters. Very limited selection of AC Delco, and no PF454. OK, how bout Mobil1? I leaf through the catalog to find the xref #, and of course they don't have that either. Lots of Fram, lots of Purolator, but I don't know the # and don't really want those anyway. I consider asking at the parts counter and stand there for a couple of minutes, but there are 2 people in front of me in line and that probably means at least a 15 minute wait for most likely an unsatisfactory answer, so I cut my losses and leave.

I will try a local parts store (that carries AC Delco) tomorrow.

I also put together an order at Rock Auto. They really have a great online catalog. gives you part#s which is nice. Prices are reasonable, but my 8 spark plugs and 2 oil filters and some oil drain gaskets was going to have a $16 shipping charge, so I bagged that too.
Mobil 1 and Purolator PurOne filters are both excellent choices. No one in this town carries the PurOne filters, I have to stock up on them at Advance when I visit my parents.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

NAPA Gold is a Wix product and as noted above, the #51061 is the equivalent of Delco PF-35. I prefer the larger filters.

Get notified of new replies

To oil filter PF454 and PF454CL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil filter PF454 and PF454CL