Deluxe door panels question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:39 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Deluxe door panels question?

Hi all,

My 72 came with deluxe interior...I am gonna replace it....the orig door panels have the woodgrain and the lower carpet strip.

Q???...Can I get new door panels WITH the lower carpet strip, but WITHOUT the woodgrain insert? I think the woodgrain looks alittle cheesy, but I like the carpet strip.

I dont have my old door panels handy to check, but is the woodgrain piece simply "removeable"?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 07-13-2007, 07:46 PM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The "woodgrain piece" is actually a large metal plate with studs that go thru the panel itself, it also consists of a metal bezel as brightwork around the edge, and the simulated wood applique is applied on top.

You could look around for 1970 pieces, they used real wood veneer inserts and match the real wood veneer overlay on the center console as well. Not like the '72 fake plastic overlays.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:49 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Thanks, but my question was whether or not I could get NEW panels without the wood but with the carpet. I need to replace the entire panels, mine are pretty well shot..

Rob
Old 07-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Since no one is answering the specific issue, i`ll try. If your interested, I believe Al Knoch interiors can probably make the panels any way you want.....................
Old 07-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Red70vette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased Al Knoch door panels and they come blank. You have to remove the delux trim from your existing door panels and transfer them over to the new ones. I believe no holes are punched so you can transfer whatever you want and it will work.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Or you could try the '77 insert - it's black instead of woodgrain.

I bought a set of bare door panels - to install the Deluxe trim requires drilling a few holes. Personally, I hate that weird strip of carpet, so I'm going to leave it off.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:17 PM
gmg1977
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
Hi all,

My 72 came with deluxe interior...I am gonna replace it....the orig door panels have the woodgrain and the lower carpet strip.

Q???...Can I get new door panels WITH the lower carpet strip, but WITHOUT the woodgrain insert? I think the woodgrain looks alittle cheesy, but I like the carpet strip.

I dont have my old door panels handy to check, but is the woodgrain piece simply "removeable"?

Thanks,
Rob

On my 74 I liked the deluxe look with out the wood. So what i did was took my stock door pannels and from ebay got the chrome peices and carpet strips. Im debating on whether get the top chrome peice and fab up a brushed aluminuim insert peice. But Im still a few months away from the interior phase so i have time to deciede.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Jeffery73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Just buy panels for a standard interior and transfer the capet and trim piece to the new panels.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:48 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi all,

Thanks,
Rob
You can buy standard door panels and the carpet strips from Willcox Corvette.

cc
Old 07-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Jay-Dog
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now there's an idea, how about covering the wood area with a panel of brushed aluminum or something?

Last edited by Jay-Dog; 07-14-2007 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-14-2007, 11:14 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CCrane72
You can buy standard door panels and the carpet strips from Willcox Corvette.

cc
CC, was wondering about that. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Jeffery73
Just buy panels for a standard interior and transfer the capet and trim piece to the new panels.
All door panels are standard panels, even from the factory. The Deluxe trim was added to the standard panels for deluxe cars. My 77s original door panels have the standard molding under the upper trim pieces.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:56 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
All door panels are standard panels, even from the factory. The Deluxe trim was added to the standard panels for deluxe cars. My 77s original door panels have the standard molding under the upper trim pieces.
Thanks, thats interesting. Guess I'll call Wilcox on Monday. They'd surely know.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Thanks, thats interesting. Guess I'll call Wilcox on Monday. They'd surely know.

The instructions that came with my new panels told how to install the deluxe trim.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:39 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You can order standard door panels and the carpet boots, and then just re-use your lower carpet moulding. It’s not too hard to do!

The easy way to do this would be as follows:

1) Test fit the carpet boot to the door panel, and make a mark with a grease pencil where the end of the boot extends.

2) Apply spray adhesive on the back of the carpet, then apply it to the door panel in area where the carpet is to be positioned. (3m fast tack trim adhesive works best)

3) Once the glue is dry, apply another thin coat on the back of the door panel carpet strip. Do this just like you would if you were using rubber cement. Then apply the carpet to the door panel.

4) When the glue is dry, pull the vinyl tight at the bottom and sides. With a good stapler install staples to hold in place. You can also glue this as above, but the staples seem to hold better for the long term use.

5) When done, re-install the lower carpet molding on the new panel.

6) Using the old lower moulding, push it against the door panel gently. This will make a mark for the first hole to be drilled in to the panel. Once marked, drill one at a time. As you come across the door panel you can mark the next hole after you have drilled the previous hole.

I've had problems in the past installing the lower carpet moulding. Trying to get those darn screws started is a problem sometimes. The issue is that the original screws do not seem to be long enough. So, if you run in to this problem, save the washer and run down to the hardware store and purchase some longer screws. Use these longer screws to draw up the moulding. As you go along, the moulding will pull in easier this way and the factory screws can then be installed.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...s=carpet+vinyl

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 07-14-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:46 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
You can order standard door panels and the carpet boots, and then just re-use your lower carpet moulding. It’s not too hard to do!

The easy way to do this would be as follows:

1) Test fit the carpet boot to the door panel, and make a mark with a grease pencil where the end of the boot extends.

2) Apply spray adhesive on the back of the carpet, then apply it to the door panel in area where the carpet is to be positioned. (3m fast tack trim adhesive works best)

3) Once the glue is dry, apply another thin coat on the back of the door panel carpet strip. Do this just like you would if you were using rubber cement. Then apply the carpet to the door panel.

4) When the glue is dry, pull the vinyl tight at the bottom and sides. With a good stapler install staples to hold in place. You can also glue this as above, but the staples seem to hold better for the long term use.

5) When done, re-install the lower carpet molding on the new panel.

6) Using the old lower moulding, push it against the door panel gently. This will make a mark for the first hole to be drilled in to the panel. Once marked, drill one at a time. As you come across the door panel you can mark the next hole after you have drilled the previous hole.

I've had problems in the past installing the lower carpet moulding. Trying to get those darn screws started is a problem sometimes. The issue is that the original screws do not seem to be long enough. So, if you run in to this problem, save the washer and run down to the hardware store and purchase some longer screws. Use these longer screws to draw up the moulding. As you go along, the moulding will pull in easier this way and the factory screws can then be installed.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...s=carpet+vinyl
Well thanks guys, guess that saves me a phone call. EXCEPT...what is the "carpet boot"?

Thanks!
Rob
Old 07-14-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Well thanks guys, guess that saves me a phone call. EXCEPT...what is the "carpet boot"?

Thanks!
Rob
The piece of vinyl that extends from the carpet around the sides of the panel, to the back.

Get notified of new replies

To Deluxe door panels question?

Old 07-14-2007, 11:42 PM
seacliffe301
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Red70vette
I purchased Al Knoch door panels and they come blank. You have to remove the delux trim from your existing door panels and transfer them over to the new ones. I believe no holes are punched so you can transfer whatever you want and it will work.
This issue has been a source of confusion for me.
My '72 has a deluxe interior, which is correct per the trim tag.
What it does not have is any wood trim on the door or console.
The door panels do have the carpet trim across the bottom, so I've
always assumed they were correct.
I spoke with Al Knoch just this past week about a new set of
door panels. I was told the wood trim is included as they also
sell this item seperately.
I guess I'm still confused as to what should be on there.
Is the wood trim really that cheesy looking?
I was kind of looking forward to it.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:42 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by seacliffe301
This issue has been a source of confusion for me.
My '72 has a deluxe interior, which is correct per the trim tag.
What it does not have is any wood trim on the door or console.
The door panels do have the carpet trim across the bottom, so I've
always assumed they were correct.
I spoke with Al Knoch just this past week about a new set of
door panels. I was told the wood trim is included as they also
sell this item seperately.
I guess I'm still confused as to what should be on there.
Is the wood trim really that cheesy looking?
I was kind of looking forward to it.
All I know is that my 72 came with Deluxe interior, and it has carpet and wood inserts on the door panels. The "wood" looks pretty cheap, although its original and 35 yrs old. Maybe new pieces would look alot better (meaning "real wood-like"). But I happen to like the cleaner look without the wood, just my personal preference. I plan to go without the wood insert on the shifter panel as well.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:43 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Original cars from 1970-1976 that came with deluxe interior had the following: (All 1977 cars were deluxe interior and did not have the loop carpet as an option)

Deluxe door panels which included carpet at the bottom (with a vinyl boot to hold it in place), a chrome strip over that carpet with boot, an upper door panel plate which included a wood trim insert in it.

As pictured here.

The shifter console also had a wood trim that was installed on top of it. However, this wood trim often pealed off and did not stick to the shift plate very well.

As pictured here.

The sun visors on the cars also were the smooth and not textured visor as with the standard interior cars.
The carpet sets were all cut pile.

Only cars with standard interior had loop carpet and textured visors. Again, All 1977 cars came with deluxe interior.

Willcox Inc.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 07-15-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Deluxe door panels question?