Optional 79 Rear Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Adrian Chadwick
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optional 79 Rear Spoiler

Newbie greetings:

Just acquired a 79 L82 auto and would like to add the rear optional spoiler.

The car came with many spares (new leather seat covers, carpet and 150 mph speedo...I have already installed these) including a fiberglass spoiler.

The glass spoiler seems to require some reworking to fit should I rather look for a good original? Also a little concerned about drilling holes in the rear deck? Any comments or suggestions?

Best regards

Adrian
Old 08-21-2007, 03:16 PM
79 vette head
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

i like the 80 better myself...... flexfit i heard is better
Old 08-21-2007, 05:04 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I understand your concern for drilling the holes; I measured twice and drill once . . . held my breath the whole time. I bought mine from supporting vendor Eckler's. They provided the exact measurements for drilling the holes. You have to be careful drilling the holes because there is not a lot of latitude for mistakes. I had just enough room to get to the underside to attach the mounting nuts.

Finish quality was okay and had a few visable blemishes that had to be fixed before paint. Also, one of the bolts did not penetrate far enough to get the nut on, so I'll have to go back and extend that bolt. Overall, I was pleased.

If yours is Eckler's, I can give you the hole measurements. If not, ot your not sure, you may be better off selling and buying another one. Just my .02 worth.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:30 PM
wfo76
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if you are looking for originality or not, but in 79 the Spoiler option included both front and rear spoilers and you could not get just a rear spoiler. The shorter 80-82 style rear bumper/spoiler would probably look better if you only want a rear spoiler but I like the factory front and rear spoiler set on the 79.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

'79 Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM) will have a diagram for mounting the optional spoliers.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:42 AM
79L82owner
Pro

Originally Posted by wfo76
Not sure if you are looking for originality or not, but in 79 the Spoiler option included both front and rear spoilers and you could not get just a rear spoiler. The shorter 80-82 style rear bumper/spoiler would probably look better if you only want a rear spoiler but I like the factory front and rear spoiler set on the 79.
Am I the only guy on the planet that likes the 79 spoiler better than the 80-82? I say, put it on. Mine is the Fiberglass spoiler from Ecklars- it went on easily, and is very sturdy. I prefer it over the original material because it doesn't look wavy.

good Luck
Old 08-22-2007, 12:09 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

While I know it's not correct, I have a factory rear spoiler only on my 79. I didn't want to take a chance of dragging a front spoiler on something. I may add one later though, I like the look with or without the front spoiler.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:39 PM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Love my spoiler as well, go for '79!
Old 08-22-2007, 06:16 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 79L82owner
Am I the only guy on the planet that likes the 79 spoiler better than the 80-82? I say, put it on. Mine is the Fiberglass spoiler from Ecklars- it went on easily, and is very sturdy. I prefer it over the original material because it doesn't look wavy.

good Luck
I have an original rear spoiler on my 79...and it honestly does not fit all that well...and its STOCK.

The reason for my reply is about the "wavy" look mentioned above......LOL

Hey ya drive a Vette >>> ya gotta wave...

Mine has a slight bubble that normally is very visible
on the drivers side of the car ..BUT if the car is at a show and out in the sun there is a good chance that
bubble will MOVE all by itself over to the other side of the car depending on what direction the sun is shinning on the car... good conversation piece...

BTW..my front spoiler is after market..3 piece as the original one that I destroyed shortly after buying the car in 1982..

Save the Wave...put an original spoiler on the car...

Bob G
64 72 & 98 Verts
76 & 79 Coupes...
Old 08-22-2007, 08:25 PM
79L82owner
Pro

Originally Posted by 24695bob
I have an original rear spoiler on my 79...and it honestly does not fit all that well...and its STOCK.

The reason for my reply is about the "wavy" look mentioned above......LOL

Hey ya drive a Vette >>> ya gotta wave...

Mine has a slight bubble that normally is very visible
on the drivers side of the car ..BUT if the car is at a show and out in the sun there is a good chance that
bubble will MOVE all by itself over to the other side of the car depending on what direction the sun is shinning on the car... good conversation piece...

BTW..my front spoiler is after market..3 piece as the original one that I destroyed shortly after buying the car in 1982..

Save the Wave...put an original spoiler on the car...

Bob G
64 72 & 98 Verts
76 & 79 Coupes...
So your saying . . . a wave from the car itself is better than no wave at all? When you drive down the highway on a sunny day, does she wave at you when you look in the rear view?? Anyway, nothing against the originals-I like them too.

Anyway, how in the world do you damage the front spoiler? run over a possum or something?? Its like a foot off the ground.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:42 PM
3rd_Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by 79 vette head
i like the 80 better myself...... flexfit i heard is better

Get notified of new replies

To Optional 79 Rear Spoiler

Quick Reply: Optional 79 Rear Spoiler