Sponsored by:

Powdercoater

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 12:19 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Powdercoater

I'm trying to decide on a powdercoater for my suspension parts. I've heard that the process cannot just be sandblasting the surface, blowing off the dust, then coating with powdercoat - you need to wash the surface with a phosphate coating after sandblasting then powdercoat the surface. Is this true? Which way is correct...sandblasting, then powdercoat? Or sandblasting, phosphate wash, then powdercoat? I just want to pick a powdercoater which does the job right.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2007, 05:31 PM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

sandblasting, phosphate wash, then powdercoat--this is the proper procedure for steel parts. for aluminum parts step 2 is outgassing, where u heat the part in the oven around 450 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes to heat oils out of the aluminum 1st. i'm sure all powdercoaters use the same system.
go here to learn powdercoating n see parts done in an array of colors, they do awesome work at home or in a shop.
http://forum.eastwoodco.com/showthre...1&page=1&pp=10
Old 08-29-2007, 05:39 PM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

heres some of my favs
anodized red

candy blue

Old 08-29-2007, 06:02 PM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't use a phosphate wash Sand blasted or scrubbed the parts, slopped them down with thinners, powder coated them
Old 08-29-2007, 10:45 PM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by saudivette

I didn't use a phosphate wash Sand blasted or scrubbed the parts, slopped them down with thinners, powder coated them
Great job saudivette which black powdercoat did u use on yer Aarms? i'll be doing my soon in Mirror black.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:53 AM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

Thanks mate, I used Mirror High Gloss Black Powder Coating, 95+ gloss level.

It's TGIC Polyester formulation, making it (apparenty) great for outdoor use and UV resistance. Cure schedule is 10 min @ 400 degrees.

I got it from an eBay store. Lemme know if you need the guy's details
Old 08-30-2007, 04:26 AM
HABIT
Intermediate

Default Not Rocket Science

A perfect opertunity for me to chime in on a subject I'm familiar with . . . Over 10 years of powder coating trailer hitches.
The Phosphate wash your referring to is to clean all grease and oils from the metal before a wash stage and a sealer stage.There are strict tolerances to the Titration and PH levels of this solvent, the rinse stage and the sealer stage.
On that note the best looking pieces that ever came off the line was the " government jobs " that had been media blasted and put on the line after "our" wash system.
I've done my fair share of powdering anything you could possibly think of and some things that would make you scratch your head. That being said powder coating IS NOT rocket science although some physics do apply. An EXECELENT finish can be obtained with an electric oven (self cleaning) in the garage and a small powder set up from that freight store that sells all of those cheap a$$ Chinese tools with a little common sence and some finesse.

HABIT

Thank You to EVERYONE on here for you time and expertise. Its keeping me motovated on this '76 Stingray that has consumed my garage for the past couple months.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:33 AM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HABIT
...An EXECELENT finish can be obtained with an electric oven (self cleaning) in the garage and a small powder set up from that freight store that sells all of those cheap a$$ Chinese tools with a little common sence and some finesse.
Too true. I have an old domestic kitchen oven and a $60 powder coat system and I think my parts turned out alright

Get notified of new replies

To Powdercoater

Quick Reply: Powdercoater