Sponsored by:

Wix vs Napa Gold.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wix vs Napa Gold.

So I stopped by the local Napa for a nice new Wix oil filter. I am changing out my rear main seal and am doing an oil change.

I ask for the correct Wix for my motor, and the girl gives me two options. The 'cheap' Wix filter, and the 'good' one. I ask the difference. She says the 'good' one is just made better. Hmm...Wix making two different filters?

I decide to try it, seeing as how it's only $4 more. The filter itself says Napa Gold on the front, which is fine because I know that Wix makes them, but I'm wondering if the extra money is for the Napa name or if there really is a difference between the 'cheap' Wix and the 'good' Napa Gold version.

Anyone have any inside information on current oil filter affairs?
Old 09-08-2007, 09:55 AM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure specifically about the filters but I am finding that everytime I go to the auto parts store these days they give you the 3 options

1)Crap stuff that will fail in short order and not perform to OEM specs
(Warped china rotors) but we will sell it to you anyways for good money

2)Medium grade components (should be the cheap option) that will work but may have reduced performance (Squealing brake pads) for more money

3)Premium grade components that work the way they should out of the box, long service life, and for premium dollars

In my opinion they should not be selling crap, whats wrong with providing a quality product for a good price? and leave the inferior parts out of the picture

So for the filters I would go with the premium product

Last edited by hwcoop; 09-08-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I usually use a 2 quart filter. Twice the volume for filtering and when I buy oil, I buy 3 gallons at a time which works out nice for 2 oil changes.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:00 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...udy.html#n1515
Old 09-08-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
Old 09-08-2007, 01:24 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Batman's a little slow today. Hopefully the Joker isn't up to anything.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:51 PM
VetteThunder1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good website with some (not too) surprizing information.

Go read the page. I will not make my opions known.

Remember all opionions are like a$$holes, everyone has one, they all make noise and they all smell bad, sometimes even to the owner.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

He said he really didn't know if there was a difference between the Wix and the Napa Gold. I don't mind paying that extra few bucks just in case it really does offer some kind of advantage.

This motor is on borrowed time anyway. I plan on pulling it next fall when the new motor goes in, where it will use Amsoil oil and filter, with the GM zinc additive.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by rcread
Batman's a little slow today. Hopefully the Joker isn't up to anything.

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
He said he really didn't know if there was a difference between the Wix and the Napa Gold. I don't mind paying that extra few bucks just in case it really does offer some kind of advantage.

This motor is on borrowed time anyway. I plan on pulling it next fall when the new motor goes in, where it will use Amsoil oil and filter, with the GM zinc additive.
Mobil 1 (expensive) and Purolator PurOne (not as expensive, but no one in Columbia sells them) are my favorite filters.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

They had Mobil 1 filters at Autozone when I was there this morning.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Sharkboy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Onit
I usually use a 2 quart filter. Twice the volume for filtering and when I buy oil, I buy 3 gallons at a time which works out nice for 2 oil changes.
Where do you get a 2 quart oil filter? Are you running a dry sump with special plumbing?

Thanks,
Curt
Old 09-09-2007, 01:45 AM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No dry sump or special anything.

I used to run Purolator's but the local parts store where I used to get them closed a couple of years ago so I went with K&N HP6002? (Pretty sure)

My new ZZ4 takes the AC PF-1218 long 2 quart but I dont know if it will cross to the earlier SBC.

Any good auto parts store will know what # you need.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:52 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I have been in the Parts business now 30 years. I sell Purolater Products both the Purolator name brand and their garage brand Group 7. I have taken a hacksaw in the past to both of these filters brand new, same part number being held in a Vise. I could not tell the difference in the filter itself or how it was made any differently. Same amount of pleats of filter paper, same valve etc. Only thing different was the paint job on the outside of the filter. I use the Purolator garage filter Group 7 on all of my vehicles from my Street Rod to my 2 Vettes to my everyday cars,Suv's and delivery Vans. In all the years of being in the business I never ever had a problem with a Purolater Filter causing any problem with any vehicle. My customers swear by them. Don't forget since some of you probably don't know that Purolator is the inventor of the Oil Filter. The Purolator name ever since being introduced in the early 1900's always stood for (Pure Oil Later) Purolator. I would take a Purolator over any other brand of filter out there. I have sold them all from AC,Motorcraft, Fram, Wix, Hastings etc.
There is none better that I know of.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:29 AM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think napa gold filters are made by wix. check on the box they come in..
Old 09-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fugawi
i think napa gold filters are made by wix. check on the box they come in..

Oh I understand that Wix does make the Napa Gold, but for more money I want to know they made it BETTER for Napa. Is the extra money for just the Napa name or did they really improve their Wix filter for the new Napa Gold name?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:41 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh I understand that Wix does make the Napa Gold, but for more money I want to know they made it BETTER for Napa. Is the extra money for just the Napa name or did they really improve their Wix filter for the new Napa Gold name?
I would bet it is probably the same. One way to find out. Take a hacksaw to both of them and see for yourself.

I find it very hard that these oil filter manufacturers are going to stop the line of filters being made to change a few things inside of them. Doesn't seem cost effective. Sometimes companys will sell you the same product at different prices boxed differently but all the same maybe with a different color or sticker. I wouldn't put it past NAPA to do the same if they could make more money by calling the same product NAPA GOLD. I mean how many people are going to spend the money to destroy a filter to actually see the inside of it as I did when you really think about it?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ffas23
I would bet it is probably the same. One way to find out. Take a hacksaw to both of them and see for yourself.

I find it very hard that these oil filter manufacturers are going to stop the line of filters being made to change a few things inside of them. Doesn't seem cost effective. Sometimes companys will sell you the same product at different prices boxed differently but all the same maybe with a different color or sticker. I wouldn't put it past NAPA to do the same if they could make more money by calling the same product NAPA GOLD. I mean how many people are going to spend the money to destroy a filter to actually see the inside of it as I did when you really think about it?

That's kind of what I was thinking and maybe one day I will go drop $10 on a Wix and a Napa Gold and cut them open. The girl that sold it to me though, specifically said the Gold was 'better.'

Get notified of new replies

To Wix vs Napa Gold.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:24 AM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 356 Likes on 248 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Mobil1 or Amsoil filters. Don't bother with the rest unless 'OK' is good enough.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ratflinger
Mobil1 or Amsoil filters. Don't bother with the rest unless 'OK' is good enough.

That's what I was saying up above a few posts, that this motor is just temporary until my LT1-405 goes in next fall. I think an 'ok' oil filter is just fine until then. When that new motor goes in it will get only Amsoil oil filters and oil.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:18 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

That's what I was saying up above a few posts, that this motor is just temporary until my LT1-405 goes in next fall. I think an 'ok' oil filter is just fine until then. When that new motor goes in it will get only Amsoil oil filters and oil.
FYI, if you aren't already aware of it, the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program will be very cost effective for you if you start using AMSOIL oil and filters regularly.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Quick Reply: Wix vs Napa Gold.