Sponsored by:

81 alternator

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 03:31 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 81 alternator

my original alternator was getting a bit sad so i have replaced it with a new bosh alternator that has a constant 150 amps. the old alternator had a 2 plug system for a red and a brown wire. this new bosh alternator only has a single plug coming out so what can i do to adapt to the new alternator?
Old 09-22-2007, 09:46 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

Default Might want to tell us what new alternator you got....

Who made it? What is it for?

I recently repalced my 94 amp 12si with a CS-144 that puts out up to 150 amps (according to NAPA website). I would recommend something like that, but to assist we really would need to know what it is that you bought.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:28 PM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

yeah your right . i should have given some pics or a lil bit more info. here it is. i put a red arrow to the different style of clips that im talking about. the first pic is obviously the wiring and the second pic is the new bosch alternator with its single plug system and the last pic is the original 81 alternator with its 2 plugs that suit the wiring in the first pic.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That is a one wire alternator. Nothing but problems in my opinion.

If you have the option return it and specify no one wire alternators. The replacement will have the proper plug port.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:11 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

what are the problems? being where i am i dont have many options to alternators to suit a corvette. this is the closest thing i could get as far as mounting positions and all that with good amps.i guess an auto electrician will know what to do.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:17 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a wiring diagram from Bosch. It could be that all you need it to connect the brown excite wire to that terminal, but I don't know for sure.

I too am also curious what problems occur with 1-wire alternators? There are a LOT of marine, construction, and farm equipment with 1-wire alternators.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:59 AM
wbulick76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had several one wire alternators, with no problems at all.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:02 PM
davidm_comp
Racer

Originally Posted by markdtn
I too am also curious what problems occur with 1-wire alternators? There are a LOT of marine, construction, and farm equipment with 1-wire alternators.
1-wire alternators work well for vehicles with short simple wiring, like tractors. They do not work good when you have long wiring(resistance in length), lots of high drawing accessories (electric fans, fuel injection, amps, etc.). The reason they don't work as well is because they don't have a remote sensing line, this line measures what the voltage is at your main power junction and tells the voltage regualtor to adjust voltage output to maintain a ~14 voltage at that junction, where as a 1-wire keeps a steady 14 at the back of the alternator, and your main junction only is getting 13, and by the time that gets to your headlights you might only have high 11s. Check out this site, has tons of good reading material on chevy charging systems: http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

Last edited by davidm_comp; 09-26-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:25 PM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked at the schematic for the 81. The red and brown wires are marked as V and L and both feed power back through the harness to different electrical components. I don't know what the W stands or on your replacement. Is the second smaller post with smaller nut marked?

My guess is that MAY be the equivelant of L (brown) leaving W (red)

But... a guess is a guess. You should have gotten some paperwork with the new one. Hook it up, start the engine and put a volt meter on your W connection (and the case to get a volt reading) and then do the same with the smaller post (without the red and brown wires connected of course)

Nonetheless.. these dont appear to be 1 wire jobbies. The heavy wire on post naturally goes back to the battery and the black wire should be a ground

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
yeah your right . i should have given some pics or a lil bit more info. here it is. i put a red arrow to the different style of clips that im talking about. the first pic is obviously the wiring and the second pic is the new bosch alternator with its single plug system and the last pic is the original 81 alternator with its 2 plugs that suit the wiring in the first pic.

Last edited by pbcanney; 09-24-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:55 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davidm_comp
1-wire alternators work well for vehicles with short simple wiring, like tractors. They do not work good when you have long wiring(resistance in length), lots of high drawing accessories (electric fans, fuel injection, amps, etc.). The reason they don't work as well is because they don't have a remote sensing line, this line measures what the voltage is at your main power junction and tells the voltage regualtor to adjust voltage output to maintain a ~14.5 voltage at that junction, where as a 1-wire keeps a steady 14.5 at the back of the alternator, and your main junction only is getting 13, and by the time that gets to your headlights you might only have high 11s. Check out this site, has tons of good reading material on chevy charging systems: http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml
I understand what you are saying and it makes sense. I will have to study it some more.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 alternator

Quick Reply: 81 alternator