Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail Light Fiber Optics question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 06:59 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Tail Light Fiber Optics question.

They don't light the lenses in the console. I just pulled my tail light lenses off and on the right side the fibers were coming out of the rubber insulation about half an inch, slightly fanned out lika a paint brush. On the left side they were flush. Anyone have pics of how the fiber optics should be inside the light housing. Looks like bubba was in there because they sealed up the hole with a thick black gooey substance.
Thanks in advance, Glenn
Old 10-22-2007, 11:31 AM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fiber optics are a very simple "non electric lamp monitoring system." There should be a small opening in housing that allows the rubber grommet with the optic lead to protrude into the housing. The end of the optic cable should be a straight clear cut, if it is frayed as you stated, take a pair of **** wire cutters and clip off the frayed end.
Using 600 grit sandpaper, form the end as straight as possible then use some 1000 grit to polish up the end. If there is "Bubba Goo" in the housing you will want to remove it and start out fresh. Goo and fiber optics do not play well together.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:16 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 427basketcase
Fiber optics are a very simple "non electric lamp monitoring system." There should be a small opening in housing that allows the rubber grommet with the optic lead to protrude into the housing. The end of the optic cable should be a straight clear cut, if it is frayed as you stated, take a pair of **** wire cutters and clip off the frayed end.
Using 600 grit sandpaper, form the end as straight as possible then use some 1000 grit to polish up the end. If there is "Bubba Goo" in the housing you will want to remove it and start out fresh. Goo and fiber optics do not play well together.
The gromets are missing hence the goo to seal the hole in the housing up. The goo dosen't cover any of the fibers. I'll cut it flush as you suggest and see what happens. There's no "lens" as on the front turn signals at the end of the optic lead?
Thanks for your help.
Glenn
Old 10-22-2007, 06:02 PM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

You can use a razor knife to trim the end of the fiber optic cable. Polishing it as suggested above will help. There is supposed to be a brass ferrel crimped on the end of the cable. It is about 1/2 in long. And yes there is a red lens on the end of each of the tail light fiber optics. You can find the pieces listed in the vendors catalogs.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:53 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by c69vete
You can use a razor knife to trim the end of the fiber optic cable. Polishing it as suggested above will help. There is supposed to be a brass ferrel crimped on the end of the cable. It is about 1/2 in long. And yes there is a red lens on the end of each of the tail light fiber optics. You can find the pieces listed in the vendors catalogs.
Yup! Checked Zip & Ecklers.
I couldn't find a close up detail of this in my AIM though, so I'll have to pull the front turn signal off to use for reference.
Thanks!
Glenn
Old 10-23-2007, 11:35 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

pep boys sells grommets in the "help" bubble wrap cards that have exactly the correct diameter opening for the fiber optic cable and the mounting hole in the lamp housing. the problem is that they don't look like what you think they should. the're about an inch long and have to be cut in half with a razor knife to get the piece you need. look around at the selection, and you'll find them.
jeff
Old 10-23-2007, 01:17 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jnb5101
pep boys sells grommets in the "help" bubble wrap cards that have exactly the correct diameter opening for the fiber optic cable and the mounting hole in the lamp housing. the problem is that they don't look like what you think they should. the're about an inch long and have to be cut in half with a razor knife to get the piece you need. look around at the selection, and you'll find them.
jeff
Thanks Jeff. I'll look for those, and will need to order the lenses, dust boots and ferruls from one of the vendors.
Glenn

Get notified of new replies

To Tail Light Fiber Optics question.

Quick Reply: Tail Light Fiber Optics question.