C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rookie's first attempt at a restoration...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:39 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone have a new GM rag joint they are willing to sell to me at a decent price? I decided not chance the steering wheel connection with the rebuild kit I have...I heard the rebuild kits just fail over time.

Last edited by stinger12; 12-18-2007 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:28 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by stinger12
Alright then, brass it is! I'll get them machined up, I'll polish them with compound and a dremel.
Use oilite bronze over 660. You can find it in cored stock from MSC, McMaster Carr or a local bearing house. The oilite is oil impregnated and will work better. You'll see the oil come out of it once you start to machine it. If you use 660 bronze bearing stock cut in groove for the grease to get around the shaft.
Don't use steel bushings no matter how smooth you think it is.

I have a couple of new GM rags if you can't find one.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:11 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

So I can get oilite bronze at any bearing house? I'll have to call around today because I don't think my friend has bronze stock at his shop. Thanks for the response Gary, much appreciated.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The basic reason why I don't recommend the flex coupling rebuild "kits" is that the kits come supplied with common bolts. You should NEVER make a bolted connection through rubber. You must have shoulder bolts so that you make a metal to metal bolted connection. You are steering your car through this part!

In many cased the stop pins that are supplied in the kits do not match the size or shape of the original stop pins that were hot riveted in place on the original equipment flex coupling.

Also the "kits" do not supply a method of conducting electrical current from one side to the other. All of the GM/Saginaw flex couplings either have a ground wire or strap that is wrapped around the inside of the rubber disc or the GM disc itself has a fine wire mesh molded into the face of the disc.

BTW, I have written about a dozen letters to various suppliers outlining my concerns about the above mentioned kits. A few wrote back that they would contact their supplier of the kits. None have contacted me to indicate that the parts in the kits have been corrected.

Thanks for letting me vent!
Merry Christmas,
Jim
Old 12-18-2007, 01:18 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

I agree with Jim on those kits, biggest piece of crap out there. The rag itself in addition to Jim's comments is too flexiable. I had a couple of new in the bag (chinese made) here. I gave one away and tossed the other. Who knows how long the GM rags are going to be around. If you guys plan on keeping your cars you may want to put one on the shelf.
I have (1) NOS 63-66 rag here that is like gold now, the 67-82 may follow in the future.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:11 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

I thought I'd post how I powdercoat my own parts at home.

The first thing I do is degrease the part to be powdercoated, then I sandblast the parts in my blast cabinet - I built the cabinet myself.

Name:  DSC02119.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  64.2 KB

Name:  DSC02121.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  60.6 KB

The next step is to wipe the part down with a clean rag to remove all the sand and dust. You could use compressed air too, but I have found that sometimes water gets by my air filter on the lines and contaminates the part. Make sure to wear gloves when handling the part, you don't want to contaminate it. After all the sand/dust has been removed, I preheat the oven to around 400 degrees. Place the pieces in the oven for about 20 minutes. This will burn off any other contaminants which may still be on the surface.

Name:  DSC02128.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  63.2 KB

Let the part cool down and hang it on a rack. I use an old cardboard box which I put a piece of metal rod through the sides. Preheat the oven to the temperature indicated on the powder you bought.

Name:  DSC02129.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  37.2 KB

Apply the powder, take the parts to the oven and bake them for 20 minutes (varies with different powders). This picture shows what the pieces look like after a couple of minutes (it looks unevenly coated from this angle, but it is not).

Name:  DSC02132.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  64.9 KB

When 20 minutes has past, take the parts out and let them cool down before handing.

Name:  DSC02141.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  112.6 KB

Name:  DSC02144.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  29.8 KB
Old 12-21-2007, 09:03 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Looks good, side yoke shields?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:20 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought I'd post how I powdercoat my own parts at home.

The first thing I do is degrease the part to be powdercoated, then I sandblast the parts in my blast cabinet - I built the cabinet myself.

The next step is to wipe the part down with a clean rag to remove all the sand and dust. You could use compressed air too, but I have found that sometimes water gets by my air filter on the lines and contaminates the part. Make sure to wear gloves when handling the part, you don't want to contaminate it. After all the sand/dust has been removed, I preheat the oven to around 400 degrees. Place the pieces in the oven for about 20 minutes. This will burn off any other contaminants which may still be on the surface.

Let the part cool down and hang it on a rack. I use an old cardboard box which I put a piece of metal rod through the sides. Preheat the oven to the temperature indicated on the powder you bought.

Apply the powder, take the parts to the oven and bake them for 20 minutes (varies with different powders). This picture shows what the pieces look like after a couple of minutes (it looks unevenly coated from this angle, but it is not).

When 20 minutes has past, take the parts out and let them cool down before handing.

I'm impressed!
DAMN!! Your wife lets you use the kitchen oven? She must be an
Old 12-21-2007, 11:10 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Lol, I am only 18...I'm not married yet My parents just bought a new gas oven for the kitchen and instead of selling the old one, they said I could use it for powdercoating. I love my parents
Old 12-21-2007, 11:15 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Yeah, they are new side yoke shields which I bought from VanSteel. I installed them yesterday using my hydraulic press...they look awesome. I talked to the powdercoater yesterday and he said the frame will probably be done sometime next week (they are working a bit of overtime). They lost one of their sandblasters and are trying to catch up on stuff. I'll have to keep myself busy until then.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:26 PM
CJ 77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to hand it to you. Its a fantistic job your doing ! Something you can really be proud of ! Take a bow! And your wife must be something too as she puts up with the car in the living room. Mine went spastic when I washed some parts in the kitchen sink. I'd never even consider using the oven if I wanted to continue living here. Good luck,
chuck
Old 12-21-2007, 11:28 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Lol, I am only 18...I'm not married yet My parents just bought a new gas oven for the kitchen and instead of selling the old one, they said I could use it for powdercoating. I love my parents. I guess you guys never expected an 18 year old to do this type of job before, now did you ?
Old 12-22-2007, 01:43 AM
77TSi-meez
Racer

Encouraging to see a hard working skilled young man. Your parents must be very proud of you. Great Job so far,,,,, keep it coming
Old 12-22-2007, 04:43 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Lol, I am only 18...I'm not married yet My parents just bought a new gas oven for the kitchen and instead of selling the old one, they said I could use it for powdercoating. I love my parents. I guess you guys never expected an 18 year old to do this type of job before, now did you ?
I certainly hope the "old one" is electric. Gas ovens and powdercoating don't mix well at all.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:36 AM
Bruthish
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

Originally Posted by GD70
I'm impressed!
DAMN!! Your wife lets you use the kitchen oven? She must be an

You should never use the same oven as the one you use for food to powdercoat

Great job by the way on the parts!
Old 12-22-2007, 01:58 PM
r44s
Racer

You will be proud when you drive it down the road. You might even miss the work and challenges this project has and will continue to present. You don't owe anyone a reason why it takes so long. Continue at your pace and smile when anyone gets negitive with you it drives them nuts. All the best and thank your folks for this opportunity and the direction they have given to get you to this point.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:45 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

The oven I use is electric...it works great.

Get notified of new replies

To Rookie's first attempt at a restoration...

Old 12-23-2007, 01:06 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Something has been lingering in the back of my mind lately. Its about when I rebuilt my trailing arms. There are four studs which go through the bearing supports - you put a lock washer on each stud and then tighten down the nuts. I had used 4 lock washers I had laying around the garage - they were brand new, but I don't think they were grade 8 lock washers. I used anti-seize on the threads and then torqued the nuts (I had new grade 8 nuts luckily) to 30. The trailing arms are perfect - I couldn't be happier...but am I doomed for using the lock-washers I had as opposed to using grade 8 lock-washers? I really don't want to take the parking brakes apart just to change the lock-washers...it would be a PIA to put them back together. I tested the grade 8 lock-washers which I recently got for my hardware supplier against the ones I used on the trailing arms. I put them in a vice and clamped them down...they both sprung back exactly the same distance. I don't know why these little things bother me...it drives me nuts

Last edited by stinger12; 12-23-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:43 AM
danboback
Melting Slicks

The powdercoated parts look incredible! Keep it up!
Old 12-23-2007, 04:34 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Something has been lingering in the back of my mind lately. Its about when I rebuilt my trailing arms. There are four studs which go through the bearing supports - you put a lock washer on each stud and then tighten down the nuts. I had used 4 lock washers I had laying around the garage - they were brand new, but I don't think they were grade 8 lock washers. I used anti-seize on the threads and then torqued the nuts (I had new grade 8 nuts luckily) to 30. The trailing arms are perfect - I couldn't be happier...but am I doomed for using the lock-washers I had as opposed to using grade 8 lock-washers? I really don't want to take the parking brakes apart just to change the lock-washers...it would be a PIA to put them back together. I tested the grade 8 lock-washers which I recently got for my hardware supplier against the ones I used on the trailing arms. I put them in a vice and clamped them down...they both sprung back exactly the same distance. I don't know why these little things bother me...it drives me nuts

Quick Reply: Rookie's first attempt at a restoration...