C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressuer fitting on block leaking, how to best fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:06 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Oil pressuer fitting on block leaking, how to best fix?

Do I need to replace the entire line to the guage?
Or can it be fixed at just the threaded connector?
2nd question: I noticed some oil leaking from the left 2nd front intake manifold bolt and the right rear bolt. Can I just loosen the bolts a bit & seal up with RTV silicon and re-torque? Whats best?
Thanks in advance.
Glenn
Old 11-01-2007, 11:10 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

From working on Vettes, you most likely have to pull the engine just to access what is wrong!!!
Is it a BB or a SB? The oil line has a crush fitting on it, maybe tighten or replace it (the crush part). GOOD LUCK>>>>........
Old 11-01-2007, 11:16 AM
1stC3Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GD70
2nd question: I noticed some oil leaking from the left 2nd front intake manifold bolt and the right rear bolt. Can I just loosen the bolts a bit & seal up with RTV silicon and re-torque? Whats best?
Thanks in advance.
Glenn
The plastic oil line on my SB using a compression fitting. If you have enough slack in the line, you may be able to snip off the end and replace with a new compression fitting. The oil line kits are that expensive, about $10.00 or so.

I had a similar problem with bolts leaking onto my intake. I used vibra-tight on the threads of the bolts. No leaks so far.

Good luck,
Dino
Old 11-01-2007, 11:18 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by corvetteload
From working on Vettes, you most likely have to pull the engine just to access what is wrong!!!
Is it a BB or a SB? The oil line has a crush fitting on it, maybe tighten or replace it (the crush part). GOOD LUCK>>>>........
Just for that! It's a small block. The fitting is right behind the intake manifold and easy to reach.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:28 AM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Glenn
I wouldnt use rtv. But I would try pipe tape.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:39 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1stC3Vette
The plastic oil line on my SB using a compression fitting. If you have enough slack in the line, you may be able to snip off the end and replace with a new compression fitting. The oil line kits are that expensive, about $10.00 or so.

I had a similar problem with bolts leaking onto my intake. I used vibra-tight on the threads of the bolts. No leaks so far.

Good luck,
Dino
Looks like I have some slack. I'll get some vibra tight.
Thanks.
Glenn
Old 11-01-2007, 09:34 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

BE careful with the OP line. If it's plastic and been on the car a long time, it's most likely brittle and may crumble in your hand. Mine did!. Then your pulling the center dash to run a new one. If it's only a drip, I would gently try and simply tighten it without removing it first. If it's copper and you have slack, no issue except to make sure you use a pipe cutter.

If my intake bolts were leaking like that I would pull the intake and replace the gasket.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:15 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Location: Lake Arrowhead - Georgia > 72 Base Coupe & 74 BB Roadster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some hate it....but I replaced mine with copper to "just before" it enters the firewall. Nylon continues to the gauge. Be sure to put a few neatly done loops in the copper for vibration.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:59 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fotyfobravo
Some hate it....but I replaced mine with copper to "just before" it enters the firewall. Nylon continues to the gauge. Be sure to put a few neatly done loops in the copper for vibration.
Interesting using copper spliced into the plastic. You have pics of the joint?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:03 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dosoctaves
BE careful with the OP line. If it's plastic and been on the car a long time, it's most likely brittle and may crumble in your hand. Mine did!. Then your pulling the center dash to run a new one. If it's only a drip, I would gently try and simply tighten it without removing it first. If it's copper and you have slack, no issue except to make sure you use a pipe cutter.

If my intake bolts were leaking like that I would pull the intake and replace the gasket.
The line is plastic, is hard which I would assume it should be, but not brittle. The intake was replaced to a stock one before I bought the vette. I'll have to give the guy a call and see if he replaced the OP line and thanks for the advice on the intake gaskets.
Glenn
Old 11-02-2007, 10:13 AM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Interesting using copper spliced into the plastic. You have pics of the joint?
Certainly... .....copper outa the block....nylon continues through the wall to the gauge. Over the years, I have had 2 nylons break exiting the block and pump ALL the oil out....never had copper break.

Last edited by fotyfobravo; 11-02-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:24 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Certainly... .....copper outa the block....nylon continues through the wall to the gauge. Over the years, I have had 2 nylons break exiting the block and pump ALL the oil out....never had copper break.

Cool. What's in between the two fittings to join them?
Thanks for the pic.
Glenn
Old 11-02-2007, 10:35 AM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Glenn...not positive what its called, but NAPA ....some O'Reillys sell a copper kit with an assortment of fittings to do the plumbing. Its about 12 or 15 bucks and comes with the copper tubing. Just use an "assortment" of sockets as a guide in putting the curves in the tubing.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:38 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Glenn...not positive what its called, but NAPA ....some O'Reillys sell a copper kit with an assortment of fittings to do the plumbing. Its about 12 or 15 bucks and comes with the copper tubing. Just use an "assortment" of sockets as a guide in putting the curves in the tubing.
fotyfobravo, thanks. This looks like a good alternative to the plastic line.
Thanks again, Glenn
Old 11-02-2007, 12:04 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 514 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Use the Loctitie or RTV

Originally Posted by dosoctaves

This is a common problem on the intake manifold.
The bolt threads are exposed to oil internally and it wicks up the threads. The gasket won't do anything for that.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Patrick73
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jaki30
The bolt threads are exposed to oil internally and it wicks up the threads. The gasket won't do anything for that.

I had this same problem with the intake manifold bolts: oil wicking up the threads. Easy fix. Removed and cleaned the leaking intake bolts. Applied thread sealer. No problem in 3 years.

After reading this thread I checked my oil pressure line and fitting at the rear of the intake manifold--and it is leaking! Apparently it just started. Will attempt to carefully tighten it, but it appears to be leaking at the point where the plastic line enters into the top of the fitting on the intake manifold.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:44 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jaki30
Someone else told me that as well. I'm gonna try some permatex first. If that dosen't work then I'll replace the intake gaskets.
Thanks, Glenn

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pressuer fitting on block leaking, how to best fix?

Old 11-02-2007, 01:15 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Several years ago I flew to Tulsa to look at a red 72. Looked good and I bought it. It showed about 35 on the oil pressure gauge. A week later I flew BACK to Tulsa to actually "do the deal" and drive it back to N. Ga. Upon starting it up....ZERO oil pressure. The seller said...Yea, sometimes it does that, I think the WIRE is loose or maybe it's just the fuse....you will be fine to get back to Georgia.

I said ...Sir...you have no idea how this car actually works, do you? He had accidently broken the nylon line while putting the chrome ignition cover back on during the week. I re-installed the oil line (in his driveway) before leaving Tulsa and made it home just fine. In a few weeks I replaced the old brittle line with the copper you see in the picture above.

Last edited by fotyfobravo; 11-02-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:20 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Patrick73

I had this same problem with the intake manifold bolts: oil wicking up the threads. Easy fix. Removed and cleaned the leaking intake bolts. Applied thread sealer. No problem in 3 years.

After reading this thread I checked my oil pressure line and fitting at the rear of the intake manifold--and it is leaking! Apparently it just started. Will attempt to carefully tighten it, but it appears to be leaking at the point where the plastic line enters into the top of the fitting on the intake manifold.
Yup, same as mine. I'll check this out over the weekend and seal up the manifold bolts as well.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Patrick73
Burning Brakes

Glenn,
I won't have time til next week to look at my leaking oil pressure fitting on my intake manifold, but if our plastic line to the gauge is not broken---and we do not break the line during the repair process---I think we can remove the brass fitting on the intake, put sealer on both threads, and then reinstall. I am going to first attempt to simply retighten before doing any removal.

If anyone else has any tips, let Glenn and I know!

Quick Reply: Oil pressuer fitting on block leaking, how to best fix?