Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove fuel tank on 74

Old 11-04-2007, 07:42 AM
cduemig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove fuel tank on 74

I'm nearing the end of my new engine installation and one of the last things to do is drop the fuel tank so I can get it cleaned / coated. I looked at the haynes manual and it was less than specific so I just went to work. I removed the spare (wow, that thing's old!), and the top carrier piece, pulled the rubber fuel hose and drained all the fuel out. I have no exhaust on it so that's not a problem. Then I removed the two bolts on either side of the frame. I can't see any way to remove the filler neck so I figured it must be pressed up there or something and the filler neck attached to the body? Well, it's not coming down and instead of breaking something, I thought I'd consult the forum. What am I missing?

Oh, BTW, the back two bolts of the spare carrier top are, there are two other bolts just outside of them. They had very brittle plastic bits around them that crumbled in my hand. What is supposed to be there? Thank.s
Old 11-05-2007, 10:04 AM
cduemig
Racer

I'm a bit disappointed. This post was looked at 42 times, but no one knows how to remove a fuel tank? I was really hoping to have an answer before I go work on the vette today.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

This is pretty straightforward. You seem to be doing everything correctly so far.
Unhook all the fuel lines (Fuel and return lines) from the tank. There is also the vent line on the driver side which needs removed as well.
Disconnect the ground from the sending unit.
All thats really holding the tank in place is the single tank crossmember support. Once this is removed the tank should drop down with a little persuasion. The filler neck is not attached to the body.
Make sure the tank is relatively empty..you dont want to be wrestling around with a tank full of fuel.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:11 PM
cduemig
Racer

I figured out the problem... When removing it, the tank wanted to move back and was putting pressure on the bolts in the frame. I had to tap them up into the frame to get them out of the way, then the antenna wire was in the way. All in all, I got the tank down and fortunately it's in great shape, just needs cleaned and painted. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:11 PM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cduemig
I figured out the problem... When removing it, the tank wanted to move back and was putting pressure on the bolts in the frame. I had to tap them up into the frame to get them out of the way, then the antenna wire was in the way. All in all, I got the tank down and fortunately it's in great shape, just needs cleaned and painted. Thanks!
Auto city classic has them new for about 160 shipped. I would not spend money for paint and time on a 34 year old tank.

Just food for thought
Old 11-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Jeffery73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Did you find you tank sticker?

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove fuel tank on 74

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to remove fuel tank on 74