C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone recommend a HEI tach drive dizzy for my ZZ4??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 09:14 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Can someone recommend a HEI tach drive dizzy for my ZZ4??

My ZZ4 came with HEI electronic distributor. Now I have to decide EITHER to get a 75-77 electronic tach, OR restore my original 72 mech tach and purchase a HEI mechnical tach drive distributor...I want to go with a HEI ignition...

Can someone help me with choosing a mechanical drive HEI distributor if I decide to go that route??

Advice??
Old 12-09-2007, 09:31 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a MSD mechanical tach drive distributor, works great. I run a MSD 6AL box too!!
Old 12-09-2007, 11:25 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a company that sells new HEI tach drive distsributors on ebay.Their prices are very reasonable.(much cheaper than a corvette supplier(about $125).Look them up by doing a search. I see them listed on and off. It maybe worth your while.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:01 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...QQcmdZViewItem

ebay item 150192013653

Just don't believe the BS claiming it's made in north america ... no way, not for that $. Maybe @ 4-5 times the price.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:29 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Road-Race Vette
There is a company that sells new HEI tach drive distsributors on ebay.Their prices are very reasonable.(much cheaper than a corvette supplier(about $125).Look them up by doing a search. I see them listed on and off. It maybe worth your while.
Seen them...would you use one?? A great price though!!

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:57 AM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Speed city motors

Originally Posted by MakoShark72

Thanks!
Another is "speed City Motors" a little more expensive @$160.00.I havent bought one yet but looking onto it myself for the near future.I wonder if its a superior product though.

Last edited by redcruz1120; 12-10-2007 at 06:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-10-2007, 07:13 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Location: Wilmington DE, Drive it like you stole it, 68 327 4 speed coupe
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redcruz1120
Another is "speed City Motors" a little more expensive @$160.00.I havent bought one yet but looking onto it myself for the near future.I wonder if its a superior product though.
if your on a budget, Dont go to DUI

High quality part, comes custom ground/ set up for your engine specs , but lots more loot,

BTW Mine was worked flawlessly for 3 years on this car, 6 years on the car before this one

Old 12-10-2007, 09:41 AM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!
If I needed an HEI, I would certainly give it a try.For the money you cant go wrong. I usually use MSD for all my personal stuff.Have been for years. Never had any problems.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:26 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sweethence
if your on a budget, Dont go to DUI
OK, as usual, I'm not getting it here!! Did I miss something??
Old 12-10-2007, 06:30 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Mako, do yourself a favor, if you want to get in your car and drive across country, without a worry, put a MSD and 6A or 6AL box and be done with it. No worries, ever. I've used them for years, no problems. I used them on a Nova drag racer that ran 8.15 in the 1/4, no problem. I've built motors and used them, no problem. More money doesn't always mean a better product, but there is a line you have to draw somewhere. YOU have to draw it, not us!!! Do your own research, and draw that line.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:45 PM
72 LT1
Racer

Been using a Star Performance HEI w/ tach drive this year on my ZZ4. Part #9200tdr. About a $160. Chk it out- WWW.starperf.com I looked at a DUI version, but it was over $500. Only have about 4,000 miles on it. So far, so good. Good luck One more thing, make sure you use a melonized dist gear w/ ZZ4's steel roller cam. I swapped the dist gear off of the HEI that came w/ the ZZ4, onto the Star perf dist. just to be safe.

Last edited by 72 LT1; 12-10-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:58 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

My ZZ4 came with HEI electronic distributor. Now I have to decide EITHER to get a 75-77 electronic tach, OR restore my original 72 mech tach and purchase a HEI mechnical tach drive distributor...I want to go with a HEI ignition...

Can someone help me with choosing a mechanical drive HEI distributor if I decide to go that route??

Advice??
Just put a ZZ4 in a 69 and chose to convert the 69 tach face to electronic and stuff the HEI under the stock ignition sheilding.Dont think I could have done it with the the tach cable.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:24 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Location: Wilmington DE, Drive it like you stole it, 68 327 4 speed coupe
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, as usual, I'm not getting it here!! Did I miss something??
DUI aka performance distributors makes a great one wire conversion to HEI, thier normal units are in the 250 -300 range but thier tach drive is500 bucks. I have one , I have used DUI on the last two cars spanning 9 years driving time and they a great product and Ive had no issues,but thier pricing is expensive on the tach drive .
You send them your engine specs, and they will set up your distributor on thier machine and dial it in.

I love them, and the product is top notch, but its not for the guy on a budget.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:58 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BigBlockTank
Mako, do yourself a favor, if you want to get in your car and drive across country, without a worry, put a MSD and 6A or 6AL box and be done with it. No worries, ever. I've used them for years, no problems. I used them on a Nova drag racer that ran 8.15 in the 1/4, no problem. I've built motors and used them, no problem. More money doesn't always mean a better product, but there is a line you have to draw somewhere. YOU have to draw it, not us!!! Do your own research, and draw that line.
BBT,

Thanks for the post. I don't think ANYTHING in any of my posts asks anyone on the forum to "draw a line" for me, financially. I'm very capable of doing that myself, thank you....Like 99% of us here, we ask for members' opinions, experiences, and facts. Thats so WE can draw our own financial line (and probably 99% of us here HAVE a financial line somewhere). That being said, I'd like to know why you think a $400 MSD dizzy and a $200 MSD box will make my car more dependable, drivable, etc ("drive across country, without a problem"). Honestly, I don't know the answer. I have no problem paying the price if I'm convinced that setup is worth it to me and it suits my needs. I'm not going to race, but I certainly want dependability over all else, along with good performance out of my ZZ4. I've always heard great things about MSD systems, but never used one. The $3-400 difference between that and a $169 HEI tach drive will do a chunk of my interior! I, for one, DO have a "line"

Thanks for your input..educate me!! I have enjoyed reading your posts over the last couple of months!

Holiday
Old 12-11-2007, 08:31 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 72 LT1
One more thing, make sure you use a melonized dist gear w/ ZZ4's steel roller cam. I swapped the dist gear off of the HEI that came w/ the ZZ4, onto the Star perf dist. just to be safe.
Was swapping the gear straightforward??

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:46 PM
chevy69
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 72 LT1
Been using a Star Performance HEI w/ tach drive this year on my ZZ4. Part #9200tdr. About a $160. Chk it out- WWW.starperf.com
I got mine from Star Performance as well - great folks to deal with and shipped fast.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:39 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chevy69
I got mine from Star Performance as well - great folks to deal with and shipped fast.
I'm pretty sure thats what I'm gonna do. I sent my speedo to Roger at Corvette Instruments www.corvetteinstruments.com last week, and the tach is headed down there tomorrow morning...

Get notified of new replies

To Can someone recommend a HEI tach drive dizzy for my ZZ4??

Old 12-11-2007, 10:31 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

BBT,

Thanks for the post. I don't think ANYTHING in any of my posts asks anyone on the forum to "draw a line" for me, financially. I'm very capable of doing that myself, thank you....Like 99% of us here, we ask for members' opinions, experiences, and facts. Thats so WE can draw our own financial line (and probably 99% of us here HAVE a financial line somewhere). That being said, I'd like to know why you think a $400 MSD dizzy and a $200 MSD box will make my car more dependable, drivable, etc ("drive across country, without a problem"). Honestly, I don't know the answer. I have no problem paying the price if I'm convinced that setup is worth it to me and it suits my needs. I'm not going to race, but I certainly want dependability over all else, along with good performance out of my ZZ4. I've always heard great things about MSD systems, but never used one. The $3-400 difference between that and a $169 HEI tach drive will do a chunk of my interior! I, for one, DO have a "line"

Thanks for your input..educate me!! I have enjoyed reading your posts over the last couple of months!

Holiday

You ain't my Momma or my wife, don't come off thinking that you can jump down my throat.
I thought I gave you enough input from my post, if I didn't, ask me again.
I got years of experience, to give for free. All of us on this forum do. You don't want it, I'll null and void your butt, fend for yourself. Have a nice life, Tank Thomas
Old 12-11-2007, 11:43 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BigBlockTank
You ain't my Momma or my wife, don't come off thinking that you can jump down my throat.
I thought I gave you enough input from my post, if I didn't, ask me again.
I got years of experience, to give for free. All of us on this forum do. You don't want it, I'll null and void your butt, fend for yourself. Have a nice life, Tank Thomas
Uh...right.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:45 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Thank you

Quick Reply: Can someone recommend a HEI tach drive dizzy for my ZZ4??