Restore vs. buy restored - new buyer

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 11:04 AM
mhorton01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restore vs. buy restored - new buyer

Gentelmen (and Ladies?) -

In 2008 I will turn 42, become a young Grandpa, and finally buy my first Corvette! As most of you can probably relate, this has been a dream of mine as long as I can remember. I have bought and sold tons of cars in my life, and I'm a decent shade-tree mechanic and body worker, smart enough to know what to farm out and what to do in my modest garage.

The 'vette I have always wanted was a C3. I recently drove a C5 for a day, and nearly changed my mind, but that was just lust, not love. I want and need a C3.

I have a comment / question...

I have seen several vettes for 6000 - 10,000 on line which would need a lot of restoration. That's fine, I have no problem with that. I'd probably drive it for a month or so in the Spring to get it out of my system, then start tearing it down and restoring it.

I also see the same models from 18,000 - to as much as 30,000 which seem to be ready to rock and roll. That would be fine too, except for the personal pride factor of doing it myself.

To those that have bought the less expesive models, then restored them... would you do it again? What were the most expensive issues and problems? If I spent 10k on the car, should I expect another 10k in resoration, or more? I will want to have the engine completly and professionally rebuilt... but that's another discussion and I'm sure it's covered elsewhere.

If this stuff is covered in other threads apologize, I didn't find it.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2007, 11:11 AM
mstanton
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you want to do the work or can't afford the restored cars and want to restore it over time, you are probably financially better off buying one that the work is already done. Restorations can get very expensive and you often won't know how expensive until you get started.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

Congrats grandpa. 42 that's too young to be an old man...

Back to your question to buy restored or buy to restore. it really depends on how much work you can and want to do. you can easily drop $10K into a project and more. I have only purchased project cars over the years but I'm getting to like a finished car these days. here's my .02 you can buy a nice vette for $10 to $15k and finish it to your liking. I would stay away from a total restore projects they turn into love, hate relationships. buy something you can drive home and tinker with on weekends. post pic's of the new ride soon.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:21 AM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a project car for 8 grand. The car was in need of a total restoration and I knew that going in so I was prepared for most of the surprises.

Knowing I wanted a car in the 30-40K range, the only way I could convince the wife was to do it a little at a time, which ment doing it myself.

I'm about half way through the project now and have no regrets. I've made a lot of new friends along the way and enjoyed the time in the garage. Not to mention the satisfaction gained from seeing the parts go together.

There are many who will state it is cheaper to buy one complete and I can't disagree with them, but in my case the road to completion is very rewarding. For me, the final product will be mine. Good, bad or indifferent it will be the product of my labour and something to be proud of.

If you have the space, time, money and the skill, I say go for the project car.

Pick a good one and have fun.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:23 AM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The type of person you described I think you should look for a car with a paint job you like with no rust problems. All the other things you could work on as time permits. The best bang for the buck is a car that someone spent 30K in buying and restoration and now wants 12-15K and is looking good. Most cars sold for 10K or less you will need 10K in parts to make them nice plus your time.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:24 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think I'm speaking for the majority of CFers here (and the minority will correct me ) - most of us could not sell our restored C3 for what we have invested in it. In most cases, a guy selling nicely restored C3 for $15-$20K probably has $25K and a gazillion hours invested in it.

HOWEVER, many (most?) of us bought a C3 as a hobby, not just to own/drive a the sexiest car ever built in the USA. You feel some pride when someone compliments you on how nice your car is and you can tell them exactly how you made it that way.

Yes, you run out of patience once in a while, but you learn from that too.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:29 AM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

If you can find one thats not totally rotted out, it will go alot easier. Check the frame and if the drive train is half decent let it wait till you get all the other stuff fixed before you start dumping your money in there. I found my pace car for less than 5k and the frame and body were in good shape, the paint was peeling off. The previous owner had started rebuilding it and had just put the engine and tranny in. I am replacing the suspension and interior right now. The fun part for me is the work and knowing I am doing it all myself with alot of help from this forum. Everytime I complete a step it is a feeling of total satisfaction. To each is own, good luck!

and yes, it is an expensive hobby!! I could have bought a new set of irons to help my golf game but I would rather have the new front end!!
Old 12-22-2007, 11:30 AM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

HOWEVER, many (most?) of us bought a C3 as a hobby, not just to own/drive a the sexiest car ever built in the USA. You feel some pride when someone compliments you on how nice your car is and you can tell them exactly how you made it that way.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:32 AM
82cruiser
Pro

I personally lucked up, the guy was hard up for cash and needed cash quick needed minor repairs monospring, trailing arms, interior needed fresh dye paint, and car needed painting. Sound's like quite a bit, but was'nt.$$$ 6,000 on purchase, 5,000 on paint, 2,000 on part's. You can get a C3 cheaper and do a complete restore yourself which can ad up quickly$$$, or buy already looking great and running great! To Each Is On!!! It all depend's on what you want, and what your willing to spend. I'm satisfied, 13,000 and have a great looking vette!
Old 12-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

It will alost always be cheaper to buy one already done vs. doing it yourself. If you want to do it yourself go for it but plan on spending at least double what you think and taking 3 times as long. I have done a few of these and this statement has always proven right. Good luck and have fun with it.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:35 AM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Quote:

best statement for me
Old 12-22-2007, 11:37 AM
chevy69
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

You will get a ton of opinions here, and that is what is great about this forum and this hobby. Eastltd's experience and mine are about the same. While I could probably have saved $$$ by finding something done, it wouldn't be exactly as i want it. My choice was to go with the project. And I'm building my '69 for me - nobody else.

Will I get what I have in it if I sell it? Doubtful.

Will I sell it when it's done? Doubtful.

I enjoy the time in the garage, the planning, the fellowship of going through the building process with other enthusiasts, etc..

Do I hate the car some days? Yes - that's when I take a break.

Do I wish I had a car to drive to the Sat night cruise instead of looking and wishing mine was there? Yes, but what fun it will be once I do get mine there and know every nut and bolt is tight and the mods just where I wanted them - and not where I don't want them.

Good luck in what you decide and welcome

Last edited by chevy69; 12-22-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:59 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm on my 5th "restoration"....after EVERY one, I have sworn NEVER to do it again, to buy the next car already done!!

That said, I paid $8000 a year ago for a 72 small block, T-top, auto. Now, I probably COULD have put no more than $5-8k into it and ended up with a nice driver....

But Nooooo!

I HAD to completely replace the suspension and brakes ($1500), buy a ZZ4 crate motor ($4000), have a 2004R transmission built ($2100), buy a L88 hood ($700), Hooker sidepipes (used, $1000), install a Vintage Air heater/AC system ($1300), have my factory seatbelts "restored" ($800), new Dewitts aluminum radiator ($450) and I STILL have to do the interior ($2000), have all my chrome redone ($1500), PAINT it (usually well over $5000, but I'll get mine for around $1500).....

and this is just the BIG stuff! As of today (12/22), I have accurate RECEIPTS totally $16,244.97 FOR PARTS ALONE!!! And except for building the transmisison, I have done ALL the work MYSELF!!

Like mentioned above, I will be financially upside-down in the car BIG TIME!! Now thats not a good thing in my mind, and to tell you the truth, I derive some satisfaction from doing it myself, but that said, I'd rather be DRIVING IT....hullo?? I couldn't justify (afford) plunking down $20k for a restored chrome bumper car, but I could afford $8k and do the rest "at my leisure"...yea right!

At the end of the day, I will probably have close to $30k in my car, over a year of greasy fingernails and skinned knuckles, and a $15k car.

BUT....this is the LAST restoration I'm gonna do!!!! I SWEAR it!! I MEAN it!!! HONEST!!! Not gonna happen again!!! Next time I'm gonna buy somebody else's money pit! Let THEM do all the work! I'll spend my time on the NEXT one DRIVING, not on my back with greasy rust dropping in my eyes. I REALLY mean it THIS TIME!!

Oh, did anybody see that 71 over on ebay, the one with the rusty frame? Said it was a little flood damage from Katrina. I bet for a few thousand $$ that'd be a great driver and WHAT an investment!! I'm calling on it!!!!!

Old 12-22-2007, 12:00 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like you WANT to do some work on it yourself, so what I would do is set a budget, get the best car you can for that number, drive it a bit then go ahead with whatever mods you like. I wouldn't get one and immdeiately rip it apart, especially if you have not racked up some seat time. Drive it a while, watch in here, post your questions, THEN drop the hammer
Old 12-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Red70vette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a very personal decision and to make the right one for you you will need to answer some questions and buy a car that fits your needs.

1. What kind of ar are you hoping to get? Stock? NCRS? Show?Custom? Resto rod? Drag car? etc.
2. Will you get enjoyment out of doing a restoration?
3. Do you have the time and facility to do a restoration?

Doing a restoration or customization of a Corvette can be a whole lot of fun, expense, agravation, work, and a great hobby. You have to commit to it and have a direction and a goal in mind plus the drive to get there. Mechanical skills are a plus but not required. This forum and many others will provide you will a wealth of experience and advice on what to do and how too do it. You just have to provide the time and money.

A completed car is usually cheaper in the long run than a restoration done by you but in saving a couple of bucks you are just buying a car. You will get little satisfaction in the finished product. Only you can decide what is best for you.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:37 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Red70vette
3. Do you have the time and facility to do a restoration?

On a more serious note (than my last post)...

Most folks GROSSLY underestimate time, space, and money. Take each and double or, more accurately, TRIPLE your estimates. Still, its a VERY gratifying experience to do one yourself!!

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by MakoShark72; 12-22-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:09 PM
blueray72
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Doing a restoration can be very gratifying. I don't know if I'd ever do it again. I would gladly help someone, but all the man hours and money that I've poored into my car is crazy.....and I'm still not(ever) done.

Get notified of new replies

To Restore vs. buy restored - new buyer

Old 12-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Zixxer
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I've owned a 2002, 1996 and now the 1982...the 1982 for two plus years and the others were sold. Paid about 11.5K for a nice car, great paint, little bump in the front bumper and a very clean but ugly read interior...sorry, the red on red just didn't do it for me but I saw the black interior in my mind. It absolutely does not need a new interior but I'm doing it anyways because it's just fun, it's what I want, and it gives great joy nothing so few really have one of these. I would not be near as happy with a completely restored car...it would be someone else's car I just happened to own it now.

A couple of things that you'll really enjoy:

1. Seeing the UPS truck pull up.
2. Seeing the FEDEX truck pull up.
3. This forum.
4. Driving that puppy after you've done something to it yourself
Old 12-22-2007, 02:43 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Default Quality means doing it yourself.

I would rather do mine myself, regardless of cost. That way I can totally evaluate the car and know it is done right.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:09 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Search your "soul" and answer the question, "Which do I like the best....working on the car or driving and showing the car?" If you buy a "work in progress" car, it will probably be that for a long time. If you enjoy the pride in working on it yourself and knowing that you did it, by all means, go for it. On the other hand, if you want to drive it regularly and you'd like to be proud of it NOW, spend the extra money and save a bunch of time and grief. P.S. If you decide to by a "finished" car, buy one from a private owner instead of a business. It is likely to be more authentic and put together better than one from a "C3 mill".

Quick Reply: Restore vs. buy restored - new buyer