Sponsored by:

option to rear bearing set-up tool

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 05:12 PM
tak82
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default option to rear bearing set-up tool

I will be replacing the rear bearings soon, does this sound as if it could be an option to the expensive set-up spindle ? Slip fit a NEW bearing, use that on your spindle to get your tolerence, then replace the slip fit bearing with a pressed on one. It seems it would work and alot cheaper since bearing are only 6 bucks. Anyone done this or see any problems ?
Old 01-20-2008, 06:47 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

I do that on diffential pinion brg's to get close by it's not close enough for final setup. I wouldn't try it on spindle brg's. You're shooting for 0115-002 endplay and that's too close. Using the same spacer when checking the new brg's I find about a 010" difference with the new brg's.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:50 PM
StickShiftCorvette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a disk brake car you can safely utilize a slip fit bearing with the final assembly.

You cannot loose a wheel if the yoke nut is lost even if the bearing is a slip fit.

The bearing is clamped (axially) so it will not spin on the shaft with a slip fit.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StickShiftCorvette
On a disk brake car you can safely utilize a slip fit bearing with the final assembly.

You cannot loose a wheel if the yoke nut is lost even if the bearing is a slip fit.

The bearing is clamped (axially) so it will not spin on the shaft with a slip fit.

Mine are now slip fit. Sure makes assembly and disassembly easy.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:18 PM
tak82
Racer

I don't plan on using the slip bearing permantly but just to do the set-up, then I'll replace it with a pressed on bearing and check for final tolerances.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:18 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

HERE WE GO AGAIN
Peace,,,Moosie
Old 01-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Location: Ville de la Baie Quebec. A winner is just a loser who tried again.
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

If I understand,, you want to set a slip fit bearing and then remove them to be replaced with a press fit one,,? well,, if this was a perfect world, and all bearings where exactly the same,, this would work, but the fact is not one bearing is exactlly as the other, not within these tolerances anyway. Maybe you will luck in who knows,, My suggestion is find a machinist friend and have him make up a bearing set up tool, il'l take him 15minutes on a leathe.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:01 AM
StickShiftCorvette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michel B
If I understand,, you want to set a slip fit bearing and then remove them to be replaced with a press fit one,,? well,, if this was a perfect world, and all bearings where exactly the same,, this would work, but the fact is not one bearing is exactlly as the other, not within these tolerances anyway. Maybe you will luck in who knows,, My suggestion is find a machinist friend and have him make up a bearing set up tool, il'l take him 15minutes on a leathe.
and Add:

The half stand tolerance (the differences between the back (mounting) face of the cone and the active bearing surface is .004". In addition, if you have a press fit on the cone bore, its effective length is increased directly as a function (not 1:1,but based on the cone angle/K Factor). Consequently, a set up bearing will get you close, but not as close as I'd like.

I set my bearings using increased rolling drag in .001 increments to establish the EXACT settings by establishing where preload occurs (0 setting-no endplay-no preload) and then adding shims to meet the endplay specification. Only then do I verify the settings directly. It takes a lot of skill to measure bearings precisely. Most people set bearings with excessive endplay since they do not adequately roll in the bearings in BOTH directions (horizontal orientation).

I have designed and approved processes, machines, tooling, and gaging to set tapered roller bearings at John Deere in Waterloo........I have also designed a few that still are in production prior to moving to manufacturing.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:27 PM
tak82
Racer

Hey Michel B and StickShift, you've answered my question. I actually have a good friend who has taken my axle into work and is making me a set up shaft as we speak, thanks again !
Old 01-22-2008, 08:27 PM
tak82
Racer

Hey Michel B and StickShift, you've answered my question. I actually have a good friend who has taken my axle into work and is making me a set up shaft as we speak, thanks again !

Get notified of new replies

To option to rear bearing set-up tool

Quick Reply: option to rear bearing set-up tool