Sponsored by:

79 Corvette Dash (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:21 PM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 79 Corvette Dash (Help)

I'm working on a 79 L48 that has a few cracks in dash. My guess is the dash needs to be replaced. Can someone tell me what is involved in changing and replacing a 79 dash? What parts need to come out what can stay in? Is the dash 1 piece or 3 piece? The more information and detail the better.

Thanks,
-Dave
Old 04-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The upper dash is one piece. The two knee pad dashes are screwed to the upper dash with three screws per upper edge. Very easy to get to. Next, remove the A-arm trim so you have more room. You'll want to start lifting in the middle, bowing it up, so the ends point down. Careful, you will have speakers to unhook, and a duct that mates with the defrost vent.

Once you get it slightly bowed, you can get it out fairly easily.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:57 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Or you can buy a dash 'cap' to put over the top of the dash you now have. It won't be completely original, but it will fix the damage on the dash quickly and look much better. Changing the dash pad is a PITA and will cost a bunch more than a cap. Good luck either way.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:59 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Unlike the earlier C3s, the 78-82 dash is ONE piece. You pretty much gotta remove EVERYTHING attached to it; both gauge clusters, glove box, radio and speaker connectors, AC ducts, wiper connection, headlite switch,etc., etc.........
The dash attaches with several screws underneath along the windshield. I think 2 screws at each door jamb. Remove the steering column support.
I've heard complaints about the fit of the repros so that will add to the frustration, too.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:15 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Originally Posted by KapsSA
Unlike the earlier C3s, the 78-82 dash is ONE piece. You pretty much gotta remove EVERYTHING attached to it; both gauge clusters, glove box, radio and speaker connectors, AC ducts, wiper connection, headlite switch,etc., etc.........
The dash attaches with several screws underneath along the windshield. I think 2 screws at each door jamb. Remove the steering column support.
I've heard complaints about the fit of the repros so that will add to the frustration, too.
I haven't seen a repro dash that fits worth a damn yet. I'd pay twice as much for one that was properly strengthened & had the mounting holes predrilled.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:27 PM
79 vette head
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by KapsSA
this guy is right on the money. did it 2 yrs ago now with the help of a friend. watch the ears in the corners of the new dash if you choose to go that route. i did it because i did a color change and i wanted a perfect dash plus the old one was shot
Old 04-08-2008, 08:34 PM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. Any other info is greatly appreciated.

-Dave
Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Yankees031
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I put a repro dash in my '81 and it fit pretty damn good. Rather expensive but it looks great.

Last edited by Yankees031; 04-08-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 79 Corvette Dash (Help)

Quick Reply: 79 Corvette Dash (Help)