Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 General
General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Corvette America

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 04-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
roccaro
CF Senior Member

Default Best Fiberglass paint stripper ?

Was wondering what you guys use for fiberglass paint stripping that is enviromentally friendly if there is such a product ? Thanks
roccaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:23 AM   #2
400hp427vette
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Kleen Strip makes a great paint remover for fiberglass must be ordered Do not and I mean do not USE kleen strip aircraft remover, Must be Fiberglass paint remover.
400hp427vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:31 AM   #3
al329
CF Senior Member

Plenty of opinions here....

Citrustrip sounds the most bio friendly.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1957829
al329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Manuel Azevedo
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccaro View Post
Was wondering what you guys use for fiberglass paint stripping that is enviromentally friendly if there is such a product ? Thanks

The best and safest product to remove paint from our cars is called (SANDPAPER) Really it is the safest way to do it but true it is a lot of work but worth it in the end.
Manuel Azevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
I'm Batman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '07
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to I'm Batman Send a message via Yahoo to I'm Batman

Razor blades are popular...
I'm Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
jaclt

CAPTAIN LEE'S SPRA' STRIP works extremely well. I've stripped three cars with great results. I have a soda blaster and found it to be too agressive unless the car has several prior paint jobs. Take your time and do a small section at a time like the instructions say.
jaclt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
billd56
CF Member

i used a heat gun and razor blades. Worked great with minimal fiberglass damage. I found that this method worked much better than the fiberglass stripper that i used.
billd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
SuprJames
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to SuprJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd56 View Post
i used a heat gun and razor blades. Worked great with minimal fiberglass damage. I found that this method worked much better than the fiberglass stripper that i used.
Did the entire car that way.
SuprJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #9
Ron R
CF Senior Member

ronruledotcom ronrule ronrule

Holy crap man, you guys must have the patience of a saint in order to strip a car with razor blades.
Ron R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #10
68/70Vette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Batman View Post
Razor blades are popular...
What kind of razor blade. I started out using an xacto knife. It works but it's going to be way to slow and dedious. Use one of those old large two edged razor blade? Seems a little dangerous to hold that in your hand. Is there some sort of a razor blade holder made especially for scrapping off paint.

My car has a thick red paint (urethane?) sprayed over primer which is in turn sprayed over a greenish-blue lacquer which is sprayed over primer which possible has the original malibu grey lacquer from the factory. I want to razor blade remove the urethane. The primer and lacquer underlayers can be easily (!!!!!) wet sanded off. I've wet sanded lacquer painted corvettes before - a warm day, a water hose, lots of wet sand paper, and several six packs of beer.

For the urethane, --- think I should use a stripper for it? I might try it on a sample part of the body. Might try the metal based sills first.
68/70Vette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #11
dbeall1968
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I just finished stripping a hood . I started with sandpaper. A thick layer of old laquer paint gummed up any paper in seconds (hand sanding). I tried razor blades, but left a few deep scratches that I am now glassing over. I used a fiberglass stripper from the local auto paint store. It was actually pretty gentle, it never burned my skin, or damaged the glass. It was only effective for about 5 minutes, and required several applications as I went down through the layers. I used a plastic scraper to remove the soft paint. I finally got down to red oxide primer, and I found that Methy-ethyl-ketone took that right off on paper towels. I cleaned it down to bare glass, and began working on small cracks and scratches. I am heading out now to do a little work on it, since the weather is decent. I have a ton of blood red, snotty crap in the bottom of an old trash can now. It looks like a Texas Chainsaw Massacre in there
dbeall1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #12
VetteThunder1
CF Senior Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VetteThunder1

I used single edge razor blades from Home Depot to remove the top layer of paint but I left the really hard parts so as not to gouge the fiberglass.

I used Citrustrip to strip the paint off from there. I used about 3 1/2 jugs of CS to do the car completely. It was mild and easy to use and cheap too.

After I had the whole car done I took it out and preasure washed it and here is a pic of the result.

Click the image to open in full size.

As you can see on the right you get really good results. The downside is you have to be PATIENT. I would paint on some CS and wait about 30 mins then paint on some more and then wait another 30 minutes and paint on some more wait another 30 minutes and then start removing the paint. Came off easily.

Here is a pic of the complete car stripped;

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by VetteThunder1; 04-09-2008 at 11:13 PM.
VetteThunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:10 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 General
Reload this Page Best Fiberglass paint stripper ?

Tags
autos, c3, corvette, corvettes, fiberglass, paint, problems, proper, rated, removal, remover, strip, stripper, stripping, top, work