Sponsored by:

New Carpet / Reflectix Installation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:06 PM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default New Carpet / Reflectix Installation Questions

I've read many threads on this topic ... and have a few questions before I start my installation.

For anyone who have done this - how many layers of different materials are being installed? ... is it 3 (Reflectix, another different heat & sound deadener, and carpet) or 2 (just Reflectix and carpet)?

For the Reflectix ... are there other problem areas (due to thickness) than under and adjacent to the gas pedal?

Anyone had Reflectix installed long enough to know how durable it is? Will it hold up in the high traffic area near the gas pedal?

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:17 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

When I installed my carpet about 2 months ago, I first sprayed the entire area with undercoating (you can buy the rattle-cans from any parts store...took 2 cans). After that dried, I carefully installed the Reflectix, then the carpet (got from Wilcox)...the carpet already had the jute attached to the bottom.

Good Luck!!
Old 05-15-2008, 07:23 AM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I used one layer of Reflectix with the exception of the floor and part of the firewall and floor areas. Then put the carpet over that.

Some others are doing Reflectix along with Duromat or other sound deadening product.

The Advanced Search will locate several threads with pics.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:48 AM
L82shark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I cleaned all the floorpans and interior walls and put down Dynomat Extreme for sound, then in all the areas where heat is an issue (firewall, exhaust pipes and tranny tunnel) put down the Reflectix. More than likely it will not stand up to high traffic/weight since it is mainly a foil backed bubble wrap. I did not put it under the pedal where the driver's feet normally rest due to clearance issues.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:10 AM
Wuttin
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by L82shark
I cleaned all the floorpans and interior walls and put down Dynomat Extreme for sound, then in all the areas where heat is an issue (firewall, exhaust pipes and tranny tunnel) put down the Reflectix. More than likely it will not stand up to high traffic/weight since it is mainly a foil backed bubble wrap. I did not put it under the pedal where the driver's feet normally rest due to clearance issues.

I'm currently doing the same but I'll put the Reflectix under the pedal and tweak as needed for clearance. Dynamat Extreme (sound deadenere, heat block) is a thin product (relative to the original underlaymant and Reflectix) and doesn't take up a lot of space.

Reflectix is pretty robust UNLESS you hit it with something pointy...think the "bed of nails" thing. I've found I can lay across the stuff while working with wiring in the rear of my '79, but as soon as I get up on my elbow and the weight is focused on a spot some bubbles will pop. I imagine that where your foot rests under the accelerator pedal will lose some bubbles over time.

Get notified of new replies

To New Carpet / Reflectix Installation Questions

Quick Reply: New Carpet / Reflectix Installation Questions