C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to install rear emblem on 68 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:57 AM
PuterGamer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to install rear emblem on 68 Corvette?

I just got my 68 back from the paint shop and I have bought new 'C-O-R-V-E-T-T-E' emblems for the rear tail panel. Unfortunately, the body shop filled all the mounting holes Does anyone know a good way to redrill these holes? I was hoping there was a template available, but I can't find one. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:06 AM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You will still be able to see where the original holes are from the back.

But drilling them will be trick as not to cause paint and filler to pop off around the hole.

You will need to remove the rear tire carrier and the fuel tank to get access to the rear with a drill. This will be a PITA as you have to remove at least one muffler to get the fuel tank out.

Be very careful and start out using a 1/16 bit from the back. Don't put much pressure on the drill. Let it drill very slowly.

Then drill to the correct size from the front.

Bottom line is that I would be very upset that your body shop covered up the holes.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:19 AM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Is this a place that regularly does Corvettes? If so they should know where the emblems go. Take it back and make them do it
Old 05-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Red70vette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also take it back to the body shop. What kind of shop bondos the emblem holes? What did they think they were? Bullet holes??? They should have known better and should correct the mistake at no charge to you.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:28 AM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 682XLR8
Is this a place that regularly does Corvettes? If so they should know where the emblems go. Take it back and make them do it
Would you trust the shop that screwed it up in the first place to fix it correctly?
I sure wouldn't.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:29 AM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 682XLR8
You have a lot of faith.
Unless they do it from the back, forget it. They wouldn't know how to get them back in the same holes.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:55 AM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by roger55
You have a lot of faith.
No, I don't.
He paid for the shop to do this right. I would take it back and point this problem out to them. If this is a shop that works on Vettes on a regular basis, they should know how to fix it. If not, or if they sound like they don't want to deal with it, time to deal with another shop next time, and fix it the way you described
Old 05-17-2008, 06:47 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can make a template from my parts car for you or your bodyshop if it will help.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:13 PM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DZRick
I can make a template from my parts car for you or your bodyshop if it will help.
That might work well if somehow you could just drill two small holes in the original holes. Then you could line them all up.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:30 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by roger55
That might work well if somehow you could just drill two small holes in the original holes. Then you could line them all up.
I've made templates for these letters for at least 3 other members and it's fool proof, trust me.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

I used a drill bit in a 'Pin Vise'. A pin vise is a little tool that holds the drill bit and you twirl it with your fingers. You have really good control over it so you don't screw up the paint. You can buy the pin vise in a hobby shop.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-18-2008, 09:25 PM
PuterGamer
Instructor

Thanks a ton! This would be a great help!!
Old 05-20-2008, 02:17 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Here's how I made the template this morning, instead of using a marker you'll want to use a chalk box at least for the top line.

I'll need addresses for the 3 guys that asked for theses too.

Can't find my spare Ts

Old 05-20-2008, 04:21 PM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've made templates for these letters for at least 3 other members and it's fool proof, trust me.
I have to agree, since I am one of those three! except that was a while ago (so I'm not one of the members waiting)

Last edited by 427basketcase; 05-20-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:58 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 427basketcase
I have to agree, since I am one of those three! except that was a while ago (so I'm not one of the members waiting)

You may have been the 1st, possibly the one that perfected how I make these now too.

I wish I had kept names and usernames of all the members I've sent stuff to as well as what I sent them. I know I've got most of the states covered along with 3 countries. Slowly running out of parts.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:50 PM
elevatordude
Instructor

Hey Rick I just got the template in today I should be doing the drilling next week Thank you again
Ray
Old 06-04-2008, 08:45 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had same problem with my 68.
I obtained templates from several different 68 owners and they were all different.
I did not drop the tank or the spare tire carrier.
I placed a droplight behind the rear valance and was able to see where the filler was for the covered over holes.
I then made a tiny ***** mark to start a drill bit by hand, no power drill.
Each letter has two holes, one to attach the letter with and the other smaller hole was for the tab that keeps the letter in positon and prevents it from moving or rotating once it is installed.
Do one letter at a time testing with the letter as you go and gradually enlarging the hole until it is just large enough to accept the pin for the letter. That's why you use the drill bit mounted in a hand held holder instead of a machine. You rotate the drill by hand and it takes just a little material at a time.
Took me less than 2 hours to do them all because I took my time as I was paranoid I would scratch something.
Go slow
Kurt

Get notified of new replies

To How to install rear emblem on 68 Corvette?

Old 06-04-2008, 11:29 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by elevatordude
Hey Rick I just got the template in today I should be doing the drilling next week Thank you again
Ray
Good deal Ray. I did think you guys would have received them sooner but at least you've got it now.

From what Kurt said I'd suggest test fitting your letters into my template to make sure they fit the same as original letters

Originally Posted by ksbunting
I had same problem with my 68.
I obtained templates from several different 68 owners and they were all different.
I did not drop the tank or the spare tire carrier.
I placed a droplight behind the. rear valance and was able to see where the filler was for the covered over holes.
I then made a tiny ***** mark to start a drill bit by hand, no power drill.
Each letter has two holes, one to attach the letter with and the other smaller hole was for the tab that keeps the letter in positon and prevents it from moving or rotating once it is installed.
Do one letter at a time testing with the letter as you go and gradually enlarging the hole until it is just large enough to accept the pin for the letter. That's why you use the drill bit mounted in a hand held holder instead of a machine. You rotate the drill by hand and it takes just a little material at a time.
Took me less than 2 hours to do them all because I took my time as I was paranoid I would scratch something.
Go slow
Kurt
Kurt,
Was it the templates that were different or the pins on the letters, because I really thought the the way I made this made it foolproof.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:52 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The templates seemed to differ but that could be attributed to human error based on how they were made, if the paper moved, etc
I have seen 68 & 69's on the road and the letters don't always line up perfectly straight so if someone like that made a template it would be off a little.
Kurt
Old 06-06-2008, 07:53 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Kurt,
I did the same thing. I had my son shine a flash light on the backside and the holes glowed perfectly. I placed the letters up against the glowing holes to make sure that the studs matched before I drilled.
Bryan

Quick Reply: How to install rear emblem on 68 Corvette?