Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body removal

Old 05-23-2008, 01:32 PM
1stCorvette69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body removal

Ok I Decided to remove the body. At this point all I have to do is lift it off. I don't have six strong friends so thats out.. I need help with the following.
what are the dimensions of the Dolly cart? What type of sling arrange ment and Where or what should I buy. Maybe someone who has already did this and does't need it anymore.. Can it all be done with an Engine crane ? Any help advice or photos would realy be appreciated. I looked up classic car values and found the 69 is worth way more than I ever though properly restored , I showed that to the wife and she readly agreed to spend more money on the restoration,Cool huh.. She also saw my old 65 XKE Roadster is now worth 158k She wasn't happy.http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll284/Jagawar/ Whooopee I can now show ya pixs Thanks Guys

Last edited by 1stCorvette69; 05-23-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:49 PM
ShinodaVette
Drifting

This is a link to the body dolly I used. I got the plans from a fellow Vette enthusiast but I can't remember exactly who he was; it's been a lot of years now. I know his name was Chris but that's about it.

Body Dolly Link - Click Me!

You can get body lift straps from most Corvette parts vendors. I know some people used a cherry picker successfully but I built a setup to hoist my body off the frame. I don't have pics though sorry.

Last edited by ShinodaVette; 05-23-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:56 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lifted the body off my 73 with a cherry picker that I made a longer arm for it (had an engineer at work tell me the safe load) so I could get the height.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:09 PM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used a backhoe. Got the slings from Zip Corvette.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:16 PM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the sling and a cherry picker. I had to tie some knots in the sling to shorten it up though, but it worked with no problems.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:09 PM
indy99
Melting Slicks

Location: the land of a never ending frame-off resto-mod. May Visa have mercy on my soul.
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^ built this in a barn. Make sure you support the front end. I also had to tie knots in the straps to shorten them. You can buy the lift strap from most vendors and easy to use.

^^^^^ Go as high as you can because this will give you more room. I have seen photos of people using an engine hoist but I think you are cutting it too close.

Build the dolly ahead of time and put good wheels on it to move it around.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:16 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Body-off
Old 05-23-2008, 04:24 PM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a caution here...

It's never a good idea to tie knots in lifting slings. The knot can create a weak point in the strap.

In the case of the Vette slings sold by most vendors, they are long to prevent excess pressure on the side of the body.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:35 PM
1stCorvette69
Instructor

Default Body off

My doors are off and the car is completely gutted . I am thinking of ratcheting cargo slings..this way I can chage the angle of lift if needed. If I am not mistaken the body stripped as mine weighs less than 600 lbs. My garage (2 car)ceiling is prob 9 ft of so I would have to measure to be sure. My main prob. is my driveway is sloped realy bad. So almost all of the work has to be done in the garage . My plan was to lift the body roll the cassis out just enough to get the dolly under it and move the body to the side and roll the chassis back into the garage.. Well thats the plan subject change at any minute.

Get notified of new replies

To Body removal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body removal