Sponsored by:

Paint on hood bubbling

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Engage
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Paint on hood bubbling

I am getting the bubbles in the paint on my hood in the ac compressor area.What can I use to clean the oil off the underside of the hood?

Thanks... Barry
Old 07-12-2008, 04:42 PM
vett us all
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry
I am getting the bubbles in the paint on my hood in the ac compressor area.What can I use to clean the oil off the underside of the hood?

Thanks... Barry
HOW OLD IS THE PAINT WORK? ANY PICS OF PAINT DAMAGE?
Old 07-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Engage
Racer

Paint only a couple of weeks old.
Hood got repainted because of that problem to begin with.
Can't get pics at the moment but have 3 minor bubbles about the size of a pencil eraser about 4 inches
from front of hood.And actually it is no where near the ac compressor as that would be another foot up the hood.I had a line of these bubbles forming accross the hood about 3 years after the first paint job.This is the only area of the car with the problem.Reputable body man.Any ideas?

Barry
Old 07-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 241 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

I had the same problem, it was causing the paint on the hood to show very fine bubbles. I was told it was from the compressor oil puilling through the fiberglas causing the paint to bubble, this was backed up by members on this forum (thank you). I had the underside of the hood cleaned with a fiberglass friendly cleaner, you can even use simple green, just wipe it down with water when finished.

Eventually, I had the hood removed, prepped and painted again. I was fortunate as it was recently painted and had enough left over paint to take care of it.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Engage
Racer

If the compressor oil is the culprit wouldn't the bubbles show up directly above the compressor and along the beltline?
Old 07-12-2008, 09:18 PM
turbojet
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone sells a cover for the ac on ebay. When I get my AC fixed
I was thinking of buying one.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:46 PM
turbojet
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

check it out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corve...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 PM
nutsy
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

are we talking about paint under hood or on top? and should we really get this shield? if so what about oil that gets on belt, it will still hit hood.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:10 AM
chupacabra1974
Instructor

I have this problem on my 79. My painter painted it more than once, tried to use solvents to get as much of it drawn out as possible, but I still get bubbles in the paint and very small drops of oil seeping through fairly consistently. Mine are directly above my AC compressor and belt, but it seems possible that it could vary a little in where it shows up.

For now I just try to clean the affected area of the hood top and bottom as frequently as possible, and the bubbles haven't gotten much worse (they're there, but the paint isn't flaking or chipping, and most people don't notice unless I point it out). I guess I'm waiting to see what happens over time because my painter was very reasonable, painted it again, only to end up in the same condition. I don't think I can fault him for it.

Someone out there may have advice I don't, but the only answer I can gather once the oil is embedded in the glass is to cut out and replace the fiberglass around the affected area and repaint (a lot of work!), or replace the entire hood and repaint.

I did buy a compressor belt shield to help keep oil from flinging up onto the hood, but I have to say that I still end up wiping a healthy amount of oil off of the underside even with the compressor belt shield in place.

The only way to make %100 sure it doesn't happen again might be to replace the hood, repaint, and eliminate the AC at the same time.

I'm in Texas, and I'm not ready to give up my AC yet with summers as hot as they are here.

It sucks to know you have problems on your hood after paying for a nice paint job, but I guess I take a little comfort in knowing that this condition isn't entirely uncommon.

Last edited by chupacabra1974; 07-13-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:35 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Some solvents used during paint prep can soak into the glass. Later, after the paint, heat causes the solvent to gas and causes the paint to bubble. I think the pros "bake" the car/panels ahead of painting to rid the glass of any solvents (if they were used during prep).
Old 12-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Steelduck
Heel & Toe

I also have this problem. But I don`t have bubbles in the paint yet.

Is it possible to coat the underside of the hood with something, to prevent the oil soaking into the fiberglass?
Old 12-28-2008, 10:29 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,022 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default vette

Take your hood off and CLEAN very thourouly the top and bottom. After you have prepped and repaired all the damaged areas top and bottom apply a sealer before repainting the top and bottom both.The sealer will lock down anything from penetrating. I would not rule out that your painter painted over a contaminent being that your paint is so new. Just my $.o2
Old 12-28-2008, 11:04 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Some solvents used during paint prep can soak into the glass. Later, after the paint, heat causes the solvent to gas and causes the paint to bubble. I think the pros "bake" the car/panels ahead of painting to rid the glass of any solvents (if they were used during prep).

My painter had my car in the paint booth drying for 1 month and outside on a sunny day during the winter. He told me the sun is better than the booth. He also used some kind of sealer (Gray) before primer to seal the body work. I had my car painted two years ago and I have no bubbles in the hood I did have some shrinkage in side of the rear window but he repaired that. It came out when the car was cold but went away when the car was in the sun. Pretty weird.

Last edited by spedaleden; 12-28-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:58 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If the comp oil has migrated through the glass to the surface sorry to say you'll probably have to replace that hood.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:57 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,022 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by spedaleden

My painter had my car in the paint booth drying for 1 month and outside on a sunny day during the winter. He told me the sun is better than the booth..

Get notified of new replies

To Paint on hood bubbling

Quick Reply: Paint on hood bubbling