C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

way it's not good to wax after new paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 04:58 PM
shaulr
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default way it's not good to wax after new paint?

ok i have a argument with my paint shop. i say that it's good to wax after a new paint (that's what some of you wrote to me on another thread) the shop told me that thay did 1000nd of wax after a new paint. can anyone tell me way its not good to wax after a new paint? and what will happnd if you do wax afetr a new paint?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:18 PM
dodge_ss/t
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shaulr
ok i have a argument with my paint shop. i say that it's good to wax after a new paint (that's what some of you wrote to me on another thread) the shop told me that thay did 1000nd of wax after a new paint. can anyone tell me way its not good to wax after a new paint? and what will happnd if you do wax afetr a new paint?
its not ok to wax new paint, wait at least a 2 weeks. paints needs time to cure is what ive been told

i would always check with your painter to see what the paint used is and what they reccomend for a drying/curing time before a wax or sealant should be used.

Last edited by dodge_ss/t; 07-15-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:35 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is recommended not to wax following paint.

The paint needs a period of time to bleed off paint solvents that are in the paint. Not following a waiting period will result in paint solvent pop. This condition results from the solvents attempting to release/bleed from the fresh paint surface.

This damage will appear as a mottled surface. Will look like the surface of the moon!

Follow your painters advise, typically 30-60 days - no wax.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:15 PM
vettekid333
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 07-15-2008, 08:10 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dannyman
It is recommended not to wax following paint.

The paint needs a period of time to bleed off paint solvents that are in the paint. Not following a waiting period will result in paint solvent pop. This condition results from the solvents attempting to release/bleed from the fresh paint surface.

This damage will appear as a mottled surface. Will look like the surface of the moon!

Follow your painters advise, typically 30-60 days - no wax.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:37 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Default paint

The paint shop is correct. Stop rushing it. If you try to seal it prior to it's cure time...you will be paying them to repaint it. If I were you I would let it bake in the sun for a week or more, then, and only then, I would pick an area on the side to see how it takes to the product you are intending to use. Do not atempt to play with any of the top surfaces at all, until you run the side test.

The new spray on nano wax's...Eagle One... are great for new paint, and for detailing in the future.

Let the paint breathe to expunge the solvents and you will be fine.

Gregg-73
Old 07-15-2008, 09:44 PM
400hp427vette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Since Road-Race Vette agrees not to wax after seeing what he has done to his car. I would go with the pro and not wax before recommended period.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Georgia1974
Instructor

I just painted mine, You can use polish to buff out, this the paint shop probably already did, and you can use a glaze. But no wax for 30 to 60 days, listen to what the shop is telling you, they are correct
Old 07-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Vampyre
Drifting

can you wash the car off with water, during the curing period?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:41 PM
DEMITRISTYLES
Drifting

Location: You Can't Buy Cool, No Friggin' Way - Mississauga Ontario

Originally Posted by Vampyre
can you wash the car off with water, during the curing period?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:17 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Maybe try some carnuba based wax, with NO abrasives, for at least 6mos to a year.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:27 PM
michael c. volpe
Pro

no 'wax on wax off' for you for while mister.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:15 PM
RIJVETTES
Burning Brakes

I got my vette painted- 2 stage PPG- about 2 years ago. The shop recommended NO WAX or POLISH for atleast 3 MONTHS to allow the solvents to release. Washing was ok. I waited 6 months- but frequently drove and washed the car, and it was always garaged at night--- No problems with the paint.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Dream Ride
Pro

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by RIJVETTES
I got my vette painted- 2 stage PPG- about 2 years ago. The shop recommended NO WAX or POLISH for atleast 3 MONTHS to allow the solvents to release. Washing was ok. I waited 6 months- but frequently drove and washed the car, and it was always garaged at night--- No problems with the paint.
Agree. I did custom Harley Paint in Orlando for 9 1/2 years. After the final coat I'd let the paint tack good so bugs and stuff couldn't stick to it if the hit or leave marks, carry the pieces out in the sun and set them on stands for about 5- 6 hours, then spray them with a cold water hose. Made the paint draw up super tight on the metal and almost doubled the shine. Don't know if this would work with cars since you can't spray the whole area all at once like you can bike parts.

Waxing, I always waited 6 months using Acrylic Enamel w/Hardner & Accelerator. Solvents escaping (or gasing) has to be allowed. Also Paints depend on air to cure properly. Sealing it with wax stops this process greatly. Curing or hardening paint is a chemical process, not just paint drying, and to have the end result of a killer shine and dependable paint job you need to let it run it's coarse.

Get notified of new replies

To way it's not good to wax after new paint?

Quick Reply: way it's not good to wax after new paint?