Fram Air Hogs....Discountinued???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:26 AM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Default Fram Air Hogs....Discountinued???

Tried to purchase a universal 14"x3" round "Air Hog" air filter (made by Fram) and both JEGS and Summit Racing doesn't carry them anymore....and neither do any of the local auto parts store (AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, etc etc etc). They carry the regular Fram air filters with the paper element but not the Air Hogs (similiar to K&N) Wonder why that is?
Old 07-21-2008, 07:14 AM
62fever
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There is a website for the Air Hog, so I am assuming they are still around. Looks like you can order from a link on the website. May be your only way to purchase.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:20 AM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 62fever
There is a website for the Air Hog, so I am assuming they are still around. Looks like you can order from a link on the website. May be your only way to purchase.
Thanks....I went to their website...it was very difficult to navigate within the site....called Fram direct and found out they have STOPPED MAKING THE AIR HOG ....wonder why?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteguy75
Thanks....I went to their website...it was very difficult to navigate within the site....called Fram direct and found out they have STOPPED MAKING THE AIR HOG ....wonder why?

Well they tried to make a K&N style filter for less money and I think they found out that it costs a lot more than they thought to actually make a quality re-usable filter and they weren't making much profit. The reason K&N filters are so expensive is because they tack on their profits on top of an already high manufacturing cost.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:35 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
The reason K&N filters are so expensive is because they tack on their profits on top of an already high manufacturing cost.
Price is determined by supply and demand. Manufacturing cost is completely irrelevant in determining price. I think K&N has done a good job of marketing. Consumers perceive it as a quality product and will pay a premium for a part that in comparison to other non-throw-away parts (ie intake manifold) isn't that expensive. Therefore demand is increased and the price goes up. People probably perceive Fram as a cheap, poor quality product, making it hard for them to sell the Air Hog in the marketplace.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:12 PM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Originally Posted by rcread
............. People probably perceive Fram as a cheap, poor quality product, making it hard for them to sell the Air Hog in the marketplace.
You mean like their crappy oil filters????

Old 07-21-2008, 12:32 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

When I told one of my partners to get a K & N for his Tahoe, he called me and asked about the Air Hog because it was cheaper. I told him it's probably fine.

He called back later and said he decided to go with K & N. Reason? According to him the Air Hog came dry, requiring the user to oil it before first use!

Don't know if this is true, but if so, replicate his experience a few thousand times and you have an additional handicap on top of trying to take on a competitor already established and entrenched for decades.

Hurst intake manifolds, anyone?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:58 PM
tmacb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a ton of entries in this category from other companies as well. There are a few that are quickly earning a name for themselves, AFE, Airaid, Volant, Amsoil... That's a lot of competition.

Get notified of new replies

To Fram Air Hogs....Discountinued???

Quick Reply: Fram Air Hogs....Discountinued???