Please review this 1978 project that i went to look at

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:00 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Please review this 1978 project that i went to look at

Here is yet another Corvette for you guys to assess for me. You guys remember the horrible 1981 that i found, here is another in the same price range. The guys wants $3,500 for the car. 1978 Auto, PW, PB, PS. Originally blue on blue. Runs and drives fine, but to me it looks like alot of bubba repair will be needed.

Comments? Thoughts?

And now to the pics

Old 07-21-2008, 09:02 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:05 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:12 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

First of all, you did a good job of documenting all that is wrong with the car.....and now let the dissection begin.

Its a lot of work, and will cost you more in the end than finding a better driver.

Door panels are missing, gauges are non existant, the dash should be replaced, and there is some evidence of rust in the birdcage area that would be the biggest concern.

One one of the photos it looks like a body mount is broken.

If all you are looking for is a $3500 driver...then this is ok. But if your intention is on buying something cheap that you can fix and upgrade, it has a lot of money and time ahead of it.

kdf
Old 07-21-2008, 09:16 PM
400hp427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by kdf1986
First of all, you did a good job of documenting all that is wrong with the car.....and now let the dissection begin.

Its a lot of work, and will cost you more in the end than finding a better driver.

Door panels are missing, gauges are non existant, the dash should be replaced, and there is some evidence of rust in the birdcage area that would be the biggest concern.

If all you are looking for is a $3500 driver...then this is ok. But if your intention is on buying something cheap that you can fix and upgrade, it has a lot of money and time ahead of it.

kdf
Even a couple thousand more will get you much more car for the money, Unless that is you are looking to purchase something to drive the hell out of and not really fix this may be the car for you.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:16 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The frame looks like it's in really good shape, and the bushings don't look rotted. Lots of leaks around the engine but that's to be expected. The interior looks like and will cost quite a bit to turn it into something that you would want to sit in. $2,500 might be a pretty good deal but $3,500 sounds too high IMO.

Rick B.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:23 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

Boy...you are looking at a lot of money (thousands) and time to make this car decent. What's that Mickey Mouse wire running under the car? I'm always afraid of a car with cover missing over the flex plate/torque converter. That's car not worth $3500. Follow 400hp427vette's advice and spend a little money on something decent then you can drive it and work on one project at a time.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:18 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kdf1986

Well based on the dash, I'm sure the door panels would have to have been replaced anyways. The dash we would just cover. I think that the birdcage looks great compared to many that I have seen.

kdf
Originally Posted by 400hp427vette
Even a couple thousand more will get you much more car for the money, Unless that is you are looking to purchase something to drive the hell out of and not really fix this may be the car for you.
We were planning on fixing things a little at a time.
Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
The frame looks like it's in really good shape, and the bushings don't look rotted. Lots of leaks around the engine but that's to be expected. The interior looks like and will cost quite a bit to turn it into something that you would want to sit in. $2,500 might be a pretty good deal but $3,500 sounds too high IMO.
I was hoping that we could get it for $2,500 or $2,000. Interior is the last thing that I am concerned about.

Rick B.
Originally Posted by thegazman
Boy...you are looking at a lot of money (thousands) and time to make this car decent. What's that Mickey Mouse wire running under the car? I'm always afraid of a car with cover missing over the flex plate/torque converter. That's car not worth $3500. Follow 400hp427vette's advice and spend a little money on something decent then you can drive it and work on one project at a time.
Well, time really isn't much of a concern seeing that its summer still. I think if we can get it cheap enough, its a good deal. The body is pretty much perfect, with a great frame and birdcage.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:09 PM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Looks like there is rust through the passenger side footwell
  2. transmission shifter cable looks askew
  3. rather significant leak at the either the slipyoke or tailshaft of the tranny
  4. you clearly are aware of the interior issues
  5. power steering ram and control valve look ok actually
  6. but the power steering pump leaks
  7. still has the old pancake cat - that thing is probably a solid block inside or darn near it
  8. youre gonna need a complete cat-back system since it is missing everything rom that lousy pos back
  9. needs headlamp surrounds
  10. sunvisors
  11. horn fixings
  12. drivers side sway bar mount is missing a bolt - bending the bracket badly

The red wire also would concern me, it looks like it goes up to the battery and is a large enough gauge to make me wonder what he is powering.

Try to get it for 2k, dont pay a penny more than 2.5k - there are many more far better examples for only slightly more than this.

Get notified of new replies

To Please review this 1978 project that i went to look at

Quick Reply: Please review this 1978 project that i went to look at