C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to Md. What do I do about my antique tags?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:47 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Moving to Md. What do I do about my antique tags?

I've had antique tags for a few years now in the state of Pa., and recently decided a change was needed in my address,so Md. it is. In Pa. I enjoyed the no inspection antique status, as well as never having to re register for life.

Question is do I have to re register in Md, or can I just keep the plates I already have? The new place is about three blocks from where I work, so driving would mostly be for fun on the weekends if weather permits.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:21 AM
DaJesterMan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am registered in MD as Historic status... it cost about $50 for non-vanity plates, with a "15,000 mile yearly limit" that they can't check. No emissions, no safety check, and it must be renewed every 3 years I believe. The car must be atleast 25 or 30 years old, I can't remember which. Go to this website and call the office near you, they should be able to help...

http://www.mva.state.md.us/
Old 08-11-2008, 09:05 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

I've been looking at the mva site already, and it implies I have to pay excise tax and transfer title to Md, pay this fee and that, and still can only drive once a week at the most,which is fine.

Point is the car already is registered in Pa. as an antique, hasn't been inspected by anyone other than me in years, and truely is only driven once in a while.Occording to the Pa, mva, the car is registered for life, as long as I own the car. Doesn't specify I reside in Pa. or not. I was wondering if I could just leave the Pa. tags on it.

I stand corrected. Just found a gotch on the Pa. site where it states if you move out of state, you must surrender you plates......Damn the bad luck!

So tell me about Street Rod tags...................

Last edited by The Money Pit; 08-11-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the People's Republic of Maryland...where the state motto is "If you can dream it, we can tax it!" First thing you'll learn about the "Free State"...everything is a fund raiser for the government...state, county and local. What else would one expect from a Democrat run state? That's my political statement, so we'll move on.

Historic plates are available for any car over 25 years old. It does not require inspection, emissions testing or even be running. It's far less expensive than running regular tags.

If you want street rod tags, you have to certify the car is substantially changed from original, though that can be a distinction without much of a difference on some cars I've seen.

When you go to the MVA to register your car, simply list it as a Chevrolet, though it will also ask for the model. They will generally accept the value you place on the car, and base the transfer fees (tax) on that figure, but use something like $650-$750 as a base figure. You didn't hear it from me, but you can save lots of $ by fudging your car's value, but don't be too crazy undervaluing it or you might raise eyebrows.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:36 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

I just did a Kelly Blue book looksy and couldn't find any listing for an 80, The closest was 88 and booked at $3500 in fair condition.

I guess my 80 could be worth $1700, or so,......as long as nobody looks under the hood.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Vette79C3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Last year here in MD they made a change and it is now 20 yrs or older for Historic Tags. Welcome to MD! Where will you be residing?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to Maryland.........., Home of the Tax !! I moved here from Massachusetts back in 1983 and I'm still wondering why !!! The taxes are as bad if not worse in MD as opposed to MA.

Yup......, they'll get sales tax from you again even though you paid it in PA. Also...., you'll be amazed at how high a value they'll place on your car in order to get more $$$$ from you. I agree with Roughrider to list your car as a Chevy only (no model name) and hope for a lazy MVA worker (which is probably a 99.99% chance of getting waited on by one) who won't ask. Also, don't drive to the MVA in your Corvette....., drive something else or get a ride from someone. The MVA cops will harass you about "something". Last thing...., go to the Glen Burnie office, which is the main office, as the overcrowding and confusion can work to your advantage. Plan on waiting a long time though and a minimum of at least 2 visits....... ask me how I know. Once you're in the Maryland MVA System....., do everything by mail and/or on-line and you'll never have to go there again. Oh...., make sure you change over your driver's license too as you'll be in a heap of trouble if you're pulled over by a Cop and your Car is registered in MD but your license is still PA...... ask me how I know this too !! Finally, don't refer to your plates as plates because folks will think you're hungry and want to eat......, they call them "Tags" down here. Good Luck.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:34 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

I'll be in Walkersville, just a stones throw from Frederick. I rear from Connecticut, the Empire of Bureaucracy. Stand in line for hours to get up to the front only to find you need a form that is only available in a line on the other side of the DMV.

I was hoping to maybe find a title/tags place that would cut through all the BS. That's how I got the Pa. antique tags. Took pics, wrote check,....done deal.Any suggestions?

I am aware of the 30 day license thing, but here's the rub. I need proof I'm a resident, and haven't even signed a lease yet,so I can't even get my bank statement mailing address changed.By the time the bank statement shows, I'm sure I'll be here longer than the thirty days......

And who pulls over when you're running over 500 horsepower?
Old 08-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

And who pulls over when you're running over 500 horsepower?[/QUOTE]

I still can't drive faster than their radios can transmit.......... Maybe a little more power might do the trick !!

BTW....., I just got a ticket in Frederick last Thursday night while taking my son out to West Virginia U in Morgantown. I was doing close to 90 in a fully loaded (4 adults with a ton of luggage) Suburban. Yes...., it can go that fast !!! I guess I looked pitiful because the Cop must have felt bad as he "wrote it down to 74" (9 under as it was a 65 zone) which cost me $80 and 1 point instead of my right arm and first born child !! Be careful as the MD State Troopers are all over out that way.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:34 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jims66
I still can't drive faster than their radios can transmit.......... Maybe a little more power might do the trick !!

BTW....., I just got a ticket in Frederick last Thursday night while taking my son out to West Virginia U in Morgantown. I was doing close to 90 in a fully loaded (4 adults with a ton of luggage) Suburban. Yes...., it can go that fast !!! I guess I looked pitiful because the Cop must have felt bad as he "wrote it down to 74" (9 under as it was a 65 zone) which cost me $80 and 1 point instead of my right arm and first born child !! Be careful as the MD State Troopers are all over out that way.[/QUOTE]

My usual routeen is drive like Grandma on the highway (mainly due to the 3.70's) and hot dog on the back roads. By the time the cop puts down his doughnut, I'm cresting the horizon and pulling away fast.

I don't make a habit of this, but have dusted a few.

Last edited by The Money Pit; 08-11-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:53 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by The Money Pit
I'll be in Walkersville, just a stones throw from Frederick.

Welcome! Maybe we can hook-up sometime. 15 minutes away near Braddock Heights.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:02 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be in Walkersville, just a stones throw from Frederick. I rear from Connecticut, the Empire of Bureaucracy. Stand in line for hours to get up to the front only to find you need a form that is only available in a line on the other side of the DMV.

I was hoping to maybe find a title/tags place that would cut through all the BS. That's how I got the Pa. antique tags. Took pics, wrote check,....done deal.Any suggestions?

I am aware of the 30 day license thing, but here's the rub. I need proof I'm a resident, and haven't even signed a lease yet,so I can't even get my bank statement mailing address changed.By the time the bank statement shows, I'm sure I'll be here longer than the thirty days......

I believe you also need to have the vehicle inspected? Which in MD will be about $65.00 and at authorized inspection station.

DO NOT GO TO THE MVA! Find an authorized Title and Tag agent. They can do all the work the MVA does and faster. You will be in and out within 30 minutes. There is a fee that they charge but heck it's better than waiting in line at the MVA all day.

Unless something recently changed for Historic vehicles - you are not limited on driving your vehicle just one day a week. You just can't use it as a "daily driver".

I was told by my Tag and Title Agent - that the MVA does not care about a car's value if that car is over 7 years old. The lowest value you can place on your car is "$640.00", the Excise Tax will be 6% of that which is $38.40, filing fee is $20.00, Title fee is $50.00 and Registration fee (Tags) for 2 yrs on a Historic vehicle (class L) is $51.00. I think you have to have the vehicle inspected prior to title and registration so that's about another $65.00.

I heartly agree Md is the state of "FEES". as you can see it's beyond belief what this state charges for a first time registration. You do get out of the "Emissions Fee" which would have been $14.00 I think.

The following statement is from the Historic Vehicle registration form:

I/We, certify under oath that the vehicle will only be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation
and similar uses.
I/We further certify that this vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways.

Note what I highlited in "RED". This is your out to driving it any day of the week that you want to as long as it's not used as a "Daily Driver" as mentioned above.

Goggle for a tag and titile service in your new home town or for the nearest major city. I go to Ray's Title and Tag service near me in Parkville MD. They do charge a small fee for their service but it is worth it - trust me.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:48 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xccter
Welcome! Maybe we can hook-up sometime. 15 minutes away near Braddock Heights.

Absolutely. I should be moving in a few weeks.Keep in touch.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Hey! I live IN Braddock Heights! Great to have another C3 owner in the area...Walkersville is on the other side of Frederick.

Actually, the President of the Frederick County Corvette Club lives in Walkersville. If you were going to already have moved by this weekend, our annual picnic/crab feast is Sunday the 17th. It would be a great way for you to get to know everyone...great group. Regardless, please think about joining the club. PM me for information about it.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:45 PM
dbeall1968
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drive through Walkersville everyday on my way to Frederick from Silver Run- Gateway to Union Mills
Let's get lunch and talk cars. Welcome to Maryland!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:54 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Thank's for the welcome guys. It looks to me like we need to find an ice cream stand and pull a hoods up gathering.(Or a local Hooters)
Old 08-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Thank's for the welcome guys. It looks to me like we need to find an ice cream stand and pull a hoods up gathering.(Or a local Hooters)
The closest Hooters is in Rockville. The Corvette club down that way does have an annual show there every Fall.

Too bad...Hooters wanted to locate in Frederick some years ago. Frederick is still Victorian enough and enough protested that Hooters decided this orange wasn't worth the squeeze, so to speak. Well...there's always Hood College in town where there's lots of hooters!

Get notified of new replies

To Moving to Md. What do I do about my antique tags?

Old 08-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Vette79C3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roughrider
Well...there's always Hood College in town where there's lots of hooters!
NICE...
Old 08-12-2008, 02:58 PM
TFitz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you get ready to go to the DMV go to Hagerstown. In and out with no hassle and they speak english there!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:59 PM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default MD Tag Issues

No inspection neccessary for a antique or streetrod car unless something changed in the last 2-3 months. No emissions on an antique either.

I would suggest going to MVA in person and play dumb, bring some pictures of a shell of a car and tell them you need to tag it to keep it in your driveway while working on it so you can adhere to your county laws pertaining to unlicensed vehicles. Don't lowball the stated value too low or eyebrows will be raised!

They do have a blue book for antiques and they will sometimes use it,

Good luck

Quick Reply: Moving to Md. What do I do about my antique tags?