C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom-autosound.com ??? New Head unit??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:55 AM
MrCT
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom-autosound.com ??? New Head unit??

Does anyone have experience with the head units from www.custom-autosound.com?? They sell head units that look like the factory style but they are digital, have more power and have ipod hook ups. I am considering one of these systems and a new set of speakers. Has anyone done something similar or would you recommend something else? Thanks!

http://www.casmfg.com/Corvette_Radios.htm
Old 08-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have never used one but I have high doubts about it's performance and others seem to doubt it's quality after having one installed.

First off, the only plus I can see is the design allows for the use of a stock bezel.

They claim more power, well, it might have more power than a stock head unit but that doesn't mean you can go out and buy new after market speakers. Even the best after market head units in the world only put out a realistic 17 watts RMS per channel...and I highly doubt the Custom Autosound unit does that. Maybe between 10 - 15 watts RMS per channel. That 4x60 is an over rated MAX output, and probably at 15V where most audio companies test their equipment.

If you're using it with stock wattage / resistance speakers, then you'll probably be fine.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Backstop
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It's got RCA pre-outs though, wouldn't that be a plus over the original radio? Easier to run through an amp hidden in the glove box.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Backstop
It's got RCA pre-outs though, wouldn't that be a plus over the original radio? Easier to run through an amp hidden in the glove box.

If I recall, it has only one set of amp RCA outs, which means that yes an amp can be used but only for 2 channels. At this point, to utilize the amp's output, you WILL need better after market speakers to compliment the extra power.

This brings up new issues. First, firing up at the windshield is not a good way to position high power good speakers. It gets too 'bright' and will sound harsh and metallic.

Second, magnet size. People have had problems fitting 4x6" speakers with larger magnets in the dash. They do exist, but again you have to go back to the aiming.

Third, you cannot get mid-bass from a 4x6" speaker. Just not gonna happen. Most people prefer sound in the mid range, and stock size is just too small. In order to really get benefit from an amp, a larger speaker would be needed to get down into the mid frequencies.

It just comes down to what you want. If you really want to spend all that money for amplified highs then go for it. Personally a quality car stereo involves a bit of mid-bass and low frequencies. To do that you will almost always have to get away from the stock looks.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:51 PM
BB427
Racer

The signal level out of the rca's on lower grade radios suck and they are also usally .5 or 1v max where the average quality rca V output is 4v or higher. If you find a radio you like from anyreputable company contact me I'll be glad to order it at my cost and have it shipped direct to you.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:03 PM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the manual tune one [older model] and the sound out of the tuner is tinny. [no bass and the treble sounds flat] Based on what I paid for it I think you would be better off to buy an Alpine or Pioneer headunit [din] and buy a cutout instrument housing and go that route as you will be happier with the final outcome.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:07 PM
MrCT
Heel & Toe

ok, so sounds like an after market radio is the way to go. Plus with and after market radio there are a lot more features. Im sure the quality will be better. Does anyone have suggestions on the speakers to use? Any pics from what people have done? I think the back has 6 x 9's is that correct? I have not taken the covers off to use. Can you put larger speakers somewhere else in the front besides the dash? I think it's really important to have a good sound system in a car like this, makes driving it that much better. And I also agree, it has to have good mid range and a little back bone to the music. Some low's.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MrCT
ok, so sounds like an after market radio is the way to go. Plus with and after market radio there are a lot more features. Im sure the quality will be better. Does anyone have suggestions on the speakers to use? Any pics from what people have done? I think the back has 6 x 9's is that correct? I have not taken the covers off to use. Can you put larger speakers somewhere else in the front besides the dash? I think it's really important to have a good sound system in a car like this, makes driving it that much better. And I also agree, it has to have good mid range and a little back bone to the music. Some low's.

Keeping it super simple yet very effective, and cheap.

Head unit
Amp on back wall or in storage compartment.
6.5" speakers in kick panels.

That's all there is to it. Done right and it'll sound amazing, and you won't have to worry with rear speakers, which in my opinion would only confuse your brain from an otherwise great front stage.

Head Unit:
http://item.express.ebay.com/KENWOOD...mdZExpressItem

Front Speakers:
http://item.express.ebay.com/POLK-AU...mdZExpressItem

Amp:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=5219

Amp Install Kit:
http://knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KOL-AK4

Here are some pics.

I have installed both this system, and one with a larger amp and a sub. Both are extremely effective, great sound, even over the loud wind noise and engine roar.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:30 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Just for the record, and an additional data point, I have the USA-2 in my 77 pushing Pioneer 4X6 dash speakers and Kenwood 6X9 rear speakers and the sound is outstanding. I wanted more sound to be able to hear it over the side pipes and it worked. I had a Pioneer after market head unit and it was crap, so I replaced it with the USA Custom auto sound. If you want high end sound then stay away from the USA. If you want original look and good enough sound for most people over 40 to hear clearly enough then I say the USA is a good bet. It really depends upon what you want from the system and how much you are willing to spend to get it. If you are staying stock then beware after market. If you are customizing then go it. On my stock machine I am totally stock and the sound is ho hum, but good enough for me.

Hope that helps a little.

David
77Sleeper
Old 08-15-2008, 02:37 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Pictures Might Help Illustrate

Name:  Upper and Lower Console Adjustment 2.JPG
Views: 1366
Size:  644.1 KB
I apologize for the missing carpet in this picture, just putting it in again now but here is the stereo in place. The wires are for the I-Pod and yes it has additional outputs for amps you want them, I opted not to use any additional amps.

Name:  Speaker Box Installed.JPG
Views: 9544
Size:  990.7 KB
This is the rear speaker box with 6X9 speakers giving the car much richer and deeper sound.

Name:  New Speakers on Top Pad.JPG
Views: 3296
Size:  622.0 KB
These are the Pioneer 4X6's I put in the top pad, perfect fit, great sound.

For what it's worth.

David
77Sleeper
Old 08-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Dream Ride
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

My small input: I've replaced all the HU's in all my vehicles so far except the vette, I'm still working on Uncle Bubba's wiring, but I made sure all of them had front load USB ports instead of having a wire hanging somewhere for I-Pods or whatever.I bought some 8gig memory sticks for $50 apiece at newegg.com and have roughly 3000 songs on each one without getting close to maxing them out. Really easy access, no commercials.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:51 PM
BB427
Racer

LOL I just did a mini system in a 69 today after I replied to this post here is what I installed and I was SUPRISED at the sound that I got.
FACTORY RADIO used a H/L
1 - AudioLink high/low adaptor "didn't need to remove radio"

2 - Pioneer 4x6's front kit panels

3 - Pioneer 4way 6x9's Rear drivers

4 - Sony 60 x 4 amp

build a small encloser with shared amp rack in middle and let me tell you. This car rocked man inside the car it sounded like there was a set of 10's took the thingfor a cruise top down at 50mph and it still sounded great .I mind U this car had Flowmasters. Now I have to re think my own system damn it . the whole setup ran under $600 and took a few hours with building the enclosure.

Let me tell you all I would do this system in another c3 without a question.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Junk, avoid.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BB427
build a small encloser with shared amp rack in middle and let me tell you.

Pics?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:14 PM
BB427
Racer

I did snap any .However after listen to it I'm going to build another duplicate set up for my ride 2maro. The enclosure was less than half the wieght of the 1 I was going to use,& alot smaller. So I'll have pics 2maro.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:01 PM
seventysixvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been piecing my console back together with a few changes. I installed a Custom autosound USA-2 with a small amp , 10" subwoofer, new set of 4x6 two ways up front and 6x9s in back.

Not a hard thing to do.

The amp is a 5 way, only 700 watts, 100 per speaker and 300 for the sub.

The USA-2 has four RCAs out, and two aux in for a MP3 player. It's far from a trunk rattler, but sounds about 10 times better than a stock set up and plenty loud to be heard over the side pipes.

Got about $340 in the whole thing.
John
Old 08-16-2008, 12:09 AM
BB427
Racer

Did U cut the top dash pad to install 4x6's is that what I see or is that something sitting on the dash?

Get notified of new replies

To custom-autosound.com ??? New Head unit??

Old 08-16-2008, 08:00 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by seventysixvette
I've been piecing my console back together with a few changes. I installed a Custom autosound USA-2 with a small amp , 10" subwoofer, new set of 4x6 two ways up front and 6x9s in back.

Not a hard thing to do.

The amp is a 5 way, only 700 watts, 100 per speaker and 300 for the sub.

The USA-2 has four RCAs out, and two aux in for a MP3 player. It's far from a trunk rattler, but sounds about 10 times better than a stock set up and plenty loud to be heard over the side pipes.

Got about $340 in the whole thing.
John
John, looks good
I'll have to give some thought to that amp set up on mine as well. I have about $220 in to mine +/- with the USA-2. I like it though.
Nice job.
David
77Sleeper
Old 08-16-2008, 02:58 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I've had the USA 5 for the past 7 years and so far so good.I added the 4x6 infinities to the front and 6x9 alpines to the back with a memphis amp.Sounds really good.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:21 PM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, the only plus I can see is the design allows for the use of a stock bezel.

Exactly.
I used a similar unit. By the time I added all the other things to get it sounding right I was sorry I didn't go with something else. I wanted it to look as original as possible. FM sounds like crap. I use an MP3 player input source and nothing else. Ended up with a Swiss 4x 75 watt with 2 4x6 infinity dash speakers 6x9 infinity in back with a 120 watt MTX amp for a 10" MTX sub, Quite strong and deafining now, but so so sounding FM

Quick Reply: custom-autosound.com ??? New Head unit??