Sponsored by:

Pics of a motion corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:18 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mg267
im curious... do you guys think it would be possible to do a replica of the motion gt front end witht he fixed headlights, buy just doing some fiberglass work on an existing front end, i.e. cutting out the holes and fixing the headlight assembly into it versus getting a new front end made of fiberglass specifically for the fixed lights?
i hear alot of people saying that the lights are from a datsun 240z, so im wondering if you could just use the following:

http://www.zcarsource.com/content/p/...__Right___used

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/features/z/ZEL1.htm

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/features/z/zhlc.htm

after (correctly, of course) measuring and cutting out sections in the exisiting front clip to accomodate the new headlight assembly, and removing the exiting front end flip ups and fiberglassing the rectagular holes the factory flip ups would leave.

im just playing around w ideas, after a recent accident. Still not sure if I have to get an entire new front clip or not, but if its something that can be done with just some fiberglass work, i figured it see if i could do the motion gt look ive wanted on the front for a while.
I know alot of people are not a fan of the look at all, but I personally like it, and im not worried about resale value or anything like that.

sorry for the long winded post!
mg
The Datsun buckets never look quite right (they have a different contour than the Motion buckets). The light hardware came from the XKE, not the 240z. Don't know exactly what they used to pull a mold (or if they mocked up their own). If your good at fiberglass work, get a new upper suround panel and ask them to NOT cut out the light doors. That will make filling in that area easier (and less filler to shrink). /:\
Old 06-04-2009, 10:46 PM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

parker....those valve covers that you posted.....I have some identical,but in the area where it says motion on yours....mine say A/FX.What are these?I know they are old,and when I was growing up...A/FX in the Ford circle meant factory experimental.
My friend's 74 454 convertible has a set of those motion style valve covers.
Thanks,and sorry to stray from the OPs question....
I have motion style hood,but the inserts arn't filled.Wish it was real(the hood),but was built in 71 on the west coast.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:37 PM
mg267
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerracing
The Datsun buckets never look quite right (they have a different contour than the Motion buckets). The light hardware came from the XKE, not the 240z. Don't know exactly what they used to pull a mold (or if they mocked up their own). If your good at fiberglass work, get a new upper suround panel and ask them to NOT cut out the light doors. That will make filling in that area easier (and less filler to shrink). /:\
cool thanks for your advice.. of course the easiest things to do would be to get a full front surround like the one you were selling but unfortunately it is outside my price range. im going for the look, not so much the authenticity. if i could get a replica of what you were offereing that would be ideal i guess but i doubt anyone makes them
Old 06-13-2009, 07:22 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Paranoid
Here's the one I was talking about. I haven't seen these pictures anywhere online. wonder what happened to the guy & the car?

Name was Larry Clain
Had a 69 and 70 original Motion cars. One, he got all the original documents with the car in early 70's and the other had the Baldwin tank sticker. He had other cars (Yenko?) too.
He was trying to document the 69 as the 1st Motion built.

Hello,

My name is Larry Clain of Tulsa OK.

I presently own a 1969, Baldwin Motion Phase III "GT" Corvette, that was Hugger (Actually Monaco) orange with a black stripe. It was shown in the NY auto show back in 1969 when it was still new. If you have any original owner info on this car I sure would appreciate it. When I bought it back in 1972 it was painted black w/Gold stripes (2). I have owned it for all these years and am now trying to document it.

I have been able only to trace it back to Dallas and that it was sold by Diamond Motor co. back in early '72. By then it was Black with a candy gold stripe down the center of the car and around the tail. I would love to find the original owner and /or any old photos of this '69 Baldwin Motion SS427 Phase III GT. I am certain that it is the 1st one that Joel made and the same car as on the cover of the magazine. It has a tank sticker showing it came from Baldwin Chev as the new car dealer. It shows it to be a 435 hp car with Th400 trans the same as shown in a article in and on the cover of the Aug. '69, issue of High perf Car's magazine.

Please, if you can be of any help let me know. Please understand that I have already talked to Joel Rosen himself in person all about my car and he will only help if I pay him $1500 just to search his old records. You can be sure that I intend to do it just as soon as I can afford to, but still I want to try to locate the original owner to see if I can find any old photos or other info about it that Joel may not have. Joel makes no gurantee that he has all the records of the cars that he built so I could be out the $1500 and still not now anymore than I do now.

I will pay a $100 finders fee if anyone can provide a verifiable lead for me to locate the info or person I am searching for. I will also pay $25 for any good color photos of this car that were NOT already published in the car magazines of that era.

What ever you do Please don't send this to Joel. He has heard enough about it already I am sure. I am ready to part with the $1500 to Joel but I am not a rich guy like most of these in the car hobby and I just work for a living repairing swimming pools. It was very hard to hold on to these cars all these years but it is still mine and in bad need of restoration. I love my car and black is my favorite. I hate orange but will paint it that color if it turns out to be the actual car that was on the cover back then.

Marty Shore, who was the editor of the magazine back then has told me that it was Hugger orange not red like it looks on the cover. he just played with the color some so that it looked more red because it sold more copies on the newsstand.

Please...? help me if you can ...? If you have no info then PLEASE accept my thanks for your time to read this and NO Reply from you will be necessary..! I do not want to take up anymore of you valuable time. But, either way I want to thank you in advance for your time.

Larry Clain
Tulsa OK
http://www.hardcoreware.net/forum/se...r-t16828.html?

Sad story.
Lesson is to have a will and documented.
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/show...30/an/0/page/0
Old 06-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I bought Marty Shorr's Hi-Performance Cars magazine off the news stand
Was that the magazine featuring a writer with the pen name of Seymour Balz? He was a cool dude and I seem to recall they even sold "Seymour Balz for President" stickers. Whatever his real name was, the guy knew performance cars, and looking at the current political conditions and the industry I'd say we would be better off with HIM in the White House !
Old 06-13-2009, 10:32 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vettesbydesign
parker....those valve covers that you posted.....I have some identical,but in the area where it says motion on yours....mine say A/FX.What are these?I know they are old,and when I was growing up...A/FX in the Ford circle meant factory experimental.
My friend's 74 454 convertible has a set of those motion style valve covers.
Thanks,and sorry to stray from the OPs question....
I have motion style hood,but the inserts arn't filled.Wish it was real(the hood),but was built in 71 on the west coast.
The valve covers came with a blank rectangluar area in the middle where you could put any badge you wanted in there. I have also seen a set on an Iso Grifo where the rectangle had a cast bowtie in it. Motion did one Iso Grifo for Marty Shorr and no, this isn't it.

The car

The covers

A/FX was not a Ford thing, it was where the factories played with their hot rods for the hearts and minds of young buyers.

Last edited by parkerracing; 06-13-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:17 PM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have any history on the traction bar you have in one of the first photos?

Looks to be a nicely engineered/thought out piece...
Old 09-18-2009, 07:07 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Don't know who did the traction bar (since been sold). About the only neg. was it weighed about as much as the rest of the frame (an exageration, but not by too much). Motion traction bars for Corvettes looked like the camber adjusting links mounted at the spring pad in a V forward to the frame. They are also about 3" longer. /:\
Old 10-18-2009, 09:31 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

I remember salivating over their catalogs back in the 70s. Good stuff!!
Old 01-31-2010, 03:54 PM
kellyr073
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerracing
Don't know who did the traction bar (since been sold). About the only neg. was it weighed about as much as the rest of the frame (an exageration, but not by too much). Motion traction bars for Corvettes looked like the camber adjusting links mounted at the spring pad in a V forward to the frame. They are also about 3" longer. /:\
Vette brake Products sells a traction bar. I think it's similar to the one on the Motion vettes, that is a single center mount for the Differential to the frame crossmember.

Quick Reply: Pics of a motion corvette?