Sponsored by:

Add Mat to Bonding Strips?

Old 12-21-2008, 09:13 AM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Add Mat to Bonding Strips?

Hi-

I've been think of the best way to build up the bonding areas for a front fender that I am going to install. In its current state, the strips are so recessed that when I mock up the fender there is a huge gap between the strip and surface of the fender - especially at the a-pillar at the top corner.
I was wondering if I could just add some epoxy resin + mat layers on top of strips to build it up. My panels are SMC and the bonding adhesive that I have is the Evercoat SMC panel adhesive. I just want to be sure that this adhesive will stick to the Mat.
thanks!

Old 12-21-2008, 02:40 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

You can use small pieces of balsa wood as spacers cut into 3/4" squares. Put a stack about every 6 or 12 inches. Choose a thickness of balsa that will allow you to stack pieces together to achieve the desired height. When you mix up your adhesve, dip each square into it, coat them completely, and place them where and as needed. You'll need to hold the panel in place with screws or tape. Sometimes you can drill a hole in the outer panel and thread a sheet metal screw in. When the screw hits the panel behind, you can raise and lower the outer panel by adjusting the screw in or out. The drawback of screws is you'll need to fill the holes. After the shimming is done, fill the gap with adhesive. Make sure everything is clean.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:19 PM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Al.

Get notified of new replies

To Add Mat to Bonding Strips?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Add Mat to Bonding Strips?