Sponsored by:

Looking for feedback on Patriot sidepipes

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:34 PM
JUSBAD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for feedback on Patriot sidepipes

I am looking for feedback on Patriot sidepipes, and if anyone has the Lake Pipes and pictures of any patriot pipes. I have a 76 and am wanting to get some soon with my Christmas Money $$$.
How do they sound and what size do I need as far as length, also, what diameter did you choose. I am looking for the best sound possible for low cost sidepipes, I just cant afford the Hookers right now.
Thanks
Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

we put the Summit side pipes on a friend's car. We used the 60" Patriot ones with the "S" pipe because he has headers. We had to cut the reducer off the chrome inlet elbows, and s-pipe, then expand the s-pipe end to match the chrome inlet diameter. We also had to put a bend in the brackets and mount them upside down to get the pipes higher on the car. The tops are about half way up the rocker panels. We sahved off the u-bolt and part of the nut to keep from having to trim the rocker moldings. We then drilled another hole in the shields, and rotated them up to cover the top of the pipes.

He didn't like how quiet the side pipes are, so we cut out the baffles (they are only about 1.25" diameter in the pipes. We then welded in the 12" round muffler from Summit (it has a 2.5" inside diameter). That was still too loud, so we welded in an additional 24" round muffler.

The car is still loud, but he likes it. We also don't have any more room for additional mufflers behind the shields.

We spent about 50 hours on the pipes to get them like this, and I used up about a whole roll of wire in my welder. We have had them on and off the car about a dozen times. We welded all the connections except one in the middle of the s-pipe for adjustment. We did not weld the chrome inlet or outlet to the resonator section, so we still have some adjustment there.

I told him we had to finish my 2 cars before we took those off his car again!

Here is a shot of them on his car:

It was a lot of work to make them fit and look right. We wanted to have some ground clearance, since the car has been lowered about 2" from stock. The pipes barely hang below the frame rails, now.

You can see a 68 with the same Patriots on his car in the background of the picture. His has about 3" clearance under them, and his car is at stock ride height.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:45 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Save you car, time and money,
for the most part those look and fit, like they came from JC.Whitney Auto parts,
if you got to have side pipes get the Hooker or the Orginal factory side pipes.
No disrespect meant for the Vett in the pictures above.
just my opinion, and everone has one ! 69VETT
Old 12-30-2008, 04:49 PM
1Z87L8
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like mine and it didnt take near as long to mount them. but then im not running headers so that may have been their problem, i paid $200 for the pipes shipped from Jeg's and another $150 at the exhaust shop to hook them up.

i did not hollow out or mess with the mufflers seeing as how they are glasspacks it takes time to break in properly, mine after about 1500 miles sound fantastic to me.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

The factory baffles in the Patriot side pipes is very restrictive. The overall inside diameter is about 1" or maybe 1 1/2".
Old 12-31-2008, 06:04 AM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

I have the 4 into 1 type of those and im very happy with them,they are 5 years old now and they look like new.
Sounds great also,for the money they cost i think they are great,havent felt any bigger power loss either.
Went to the track and the times where the same as with the dual 2.5" exhaust i had before.
I dont have the most powerfull engine here but its still pretty quick its a 327 with new heads,intake,holley 650dp,headers

Old 12-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 69Vett
Save you car, time and money,
for the most part those look and fit, like they came from JC.Whitney Auto parts,
if you got to have side pipes get the Hooker or the Orginal factory side pipes.
No disrespect meant for the Vett in the pictures above.
just my opinion, and everone has one ! 69VETT

Old 12-31-2008, 12:49 PM
73C3
Instructor

I have the 4 into one sidpipes like Stingraymaniac has pictured with an S pipe and headers. They sound pretty good.

The only draw back is the 4 to 1 collector portion is press fitted into the main tube and it constantly pulls out and leaks. If I had a welder I would tack weld it on the back side where it can't be seen. Since I don't have a welder, I drilled a small hole at the joint in the back and installed a self tapping sheet metal screw to hold the joint together.

Even with the screw installed, the joint still leaks. I think it is a poor design and they could have done better.

If you get side pipes, watch the back of you're legs when exiting!!! I have several "Corvette Kisses" on mine. You will learn VERY FAST with shorts on in the summer. You always have to warn passengers.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:15 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Too restrictive and hang way to low!

If you want side pipes do it right.
Hooker or OEM.

You can find a good used set of Hookers or OEM for under $500.
Why spend $200-$400 for junk?
Old 12-31-2008, 06:36 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sound ok. Fit fine but WAYYYY to restrictive
Old 01-01-2009, 09:05 AM
retireddave
Intermediate

I think they look great
Old 01-01-2009, 02:14 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

"Just an opinion",If you can't afford the hookers right now,why not wait and save more money till you can afford to buy hookers.You'll be glad you did!
Old 01-01-2009, 02:56 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

[QUOTE=JUSBAD;1568366260]I am looking for feedback on Patriot sidepipes, and if anyone has the Lake Pipes and pictures of any patriot pipes. I have a 76 and am wanting to get some soon with my Christmas Money $$$.
How do they sound and what size do I need as far as length, also, what diameter did you choose. I am looking for the best sound possible for low cost sidepipes, I just cant afford the Hookers right now.
Thanks
[/QUOTE

I have Patriot 4 to 1 now. Look good, sound good. Replacing my engine now and will pull the Patriot pipes off and replace with Hooker Headers and Side Pipes. No complaints though, they have been nice.
Name:  Side Pipe and Wheels Completed.JPG
Views: 17778
Size:  568.4 KB

David
Old 01-01-2009, 02:59 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

[QUOTE=77Sleeper;1568397634]
Originally Posted by JUSBAD
I am looking for feedback on Patriot sidepipes, and if anyone has the Lake Pipes and pictures of any patriot pipes. I have a 76 and am wanting to get some soon with my Christmas Money $$$.
Thanks
[/QUOTE

I have Patriot 4 to 1 now. Look good, sound good. Replacing my engine now and will pull the Patriot pipes off and replace with Hooker Headers and Side Pipes. No complaints though, they have been nice.
Attachment 47633416

David
http://s404.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=P3020042.flv

http://s404.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=P8210011.flv

Here are a couple of movie files for your listening critique. Enjoy.
David
77Sleeper

Last edited by AllC34Me; 01-01-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for feedback on Patriot sidepipes

Quick Reply: Looking for feedback on Patriot sidepipes