New CS-144 Alternator too close to valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:48 AM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New CS-144 Alternator too close to valve covers

Hey Guys,

I got my new CS-144 alternator and mounting brackets for Christmas.
However, even with all of the research that I did, I guess that I still didn’t get everything right.

I got these pieces :

Summit:
SME-2001 Alternator Bracket
MCH-RA5-500 Adjustment Rod, 7.50-8.75 in.

And the alternator:
http://store.alternatorparts.com/partno1213642dr.aspx

Here are some pics of it setup in place.

The problem is the tall valve covers. The adjustment rod is maxed out at only ½ turn on the threads in these pictures. Is my solution just as simple as getting a larger adjustment rod? Or will that hit something? Hood or inner wheel well? The front clip is in the back yard right now.

Or do I need to swap out this Alternator out with one that has mounting tabs at 10 and 6 like Thegazman did in this post?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...lternator.html

Thanks for the advice.

KO

Old 01-13-2009, 12:05 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you have a V-belt pulley. Have you found a belt to use yet?

I think you only need to get a longer adjustment rod, but your final set-up is determined by your belt size, unless your going with a serpentine set-up eventually.

This should be an easy problem-right
Old 01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like you just need a longer adjustment sleeve. Not sure where to look for that. Maybe McMaster Carr or Grainger, or perhaps a racing supply.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:16 PM
charger212
Intermediate

Seems to me you could lower the arm that goes from the alternator to the adjustment rod and that would give you a bunch more adjustment. If it won't lower more than you can notch it or perhaps take a little meat of the alternator case right behind the ear. I have the exact set up with the same valve covers and I haven't put it together yet. Let me know how it works out.

Thanks and good luck,

Rob
Old 01-13-2009, 12:27 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Those tall valve covers are a problem. Use only if absolutely necessary.

You can end up with a longer bar and longer belt, but then the next problem will be the belt riding on the power steering pump.

Don't know what breather you will use, but the covers also require shortening the pcv inlet tube on the passenger side.
The following users liked this post:
70worm (07-15-2022)
Old 01-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

I don’t have your alternator, but the rest of your set up is like mine including the tall valve covers. I was scanning the Speedway catalog yesterday and noticed they sell threaded aluminum rods for the heim joint ends. What I am trying to get at is they are a lot less expensive than buying a different size from March. I had to buy a longer one for my setup and it was 50.00 from March. You should be able to get what you need from speedway for about 7.00. One other tip would be getting a longer bar by an inch or so than you think you need. Your already going to be getting a custom length belt, the longer rod will make fitting it easier.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

The gates belt part number I ended up with was 7541. It looks like yours will be the same or atleast close. Just an FYI......I also noticed you have a lot of polished aluminum on your motor. I polished my bracket, PM me if you would like a couple of tips on that.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:30 PM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by charger212
Seems to me you could lower the arm that goes from the alternator to the adjustment rod and that would give you a bunch more adjustment. If it won't lower more than you can notch it or perhaps take a little meat of the alternator case right behind the ear. I have the exact set up with the same valve covers and I haven't put it together yet. Let me know how it works out.

Thanks and good luck,

Rob
The way that this mounting kit came uses that top piece as an extension. You can see in the picture below that the 'ear' on it touches the casing and that is where it tightens up. I thought about using some kind of spacer there to get some more room but I am trying to keep the Bubba in me from doing that kind of stuff.

Unless I mounted it wrong. It looks like there may be something behind the bracket extension in this pic. I'll have to check it out and see.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:34 PM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by noonie
Those tall valve covers are a problem. Use only if absolutely necessary.

You can end up with a longer bar and longer belt, but then the next problem will be the belt riding on the power steering pump.

Don't know what breather you will use, but the covers also require shortening the pcv inlet tube on the passenger side.
I tried the short ones first but they hit the rockers. I got the breather and PCV covers from the same company that made the covers, Billet Specialties. So I hope that they took that into account.

KO
Old 01-13-2009, 11:43 PM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Theiskell
I don’t have your alternator, but the rest of your set up is like mine including the tall valve covers. I was scanning the Speedway catalog yesterday and noticed they sell threaded aluminum rods for the heim joint ends. What I am trying to get at is they are a lot less expensive than buying a different size from March. I had to buy a longer one for my setup and it was 50.00 from March. You should be able to get what you need from speedway for about 7.00. One other tip would be getting a longer bar by an inch or so than you think you need. Your already going to be getting a custom length belt, the longer rod will make fitting it easier.
The gates belt part number I ended up with was 7541. It looks like yours will be the same or at least close. Just an FYI......I also noticed you have a lot of polished aluminum on your motor. I polished my bracket, PM me if you would like a couple of tips on that.
Thanks
I ordered their catalog today and checked out their site, very nice.
If I measured correctly, I will need a 56" belt. I used a tape measure around the 3 pulleys and it is just shy of 56". I was always told to measure the outside and not the inside. Does anyone know if that is correct on these.
It also, depending upon the length of the belt, looks like I will be getting a 7" rod from speedway. to take up the slack.

I haven't done any research on belts before. Is the Gates belt better than the Goodyear gatorbacks that I can pick up at Autozone?

thanks
KO
Old 01-14-2009, 12:03 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive used both Gates and Goodyear and never had a problem with either.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kortensi
Thanks
I ordered their catalog today and checked out their site, very nice.
If I measured correctly, I will need a 56" belt. I used a tape measure around the 3 pulleys and it is just shy of 56". I was always told to measure the outside and not the inside. Does anyone know if that is correct on these.
It also, depending upon the length of the belt, looks like I will be getting a 7" rod from speedway. to take up the slack.

I haven't done any research on belts before. Is the Gates belt better than the Goodyear gatorbacks that I can pick up at Autozone?

thanks
KO
The 54 in the part number 7541 indicates the length of the belt. If you think you need the 56” belt try the part number above or a 55” belt. What I found was when I was trying to get my belts tight, I would run out of adjustment. When I was measuring I got a longer belt length also. These belts will stretch a small amount after you run them for a while. So you want to be on the lower end of your adjustment at first.
As far as gates verses good year to me it’s a toss up both are good. The parts store should be able to cross reference the gates number over to good year.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:36 PM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Theiskell
The 54 in the part number 7541 indicates the length of the belt. If you think you need the 56” belt try the part number above or a 55” belt. What I found was when I was trying to get my belts tight, I would run out of adjustment. When I was measuring I got a longer belt length also. These belts will stretch a small amount after you run them for a while. So you want to be on the lower end of your adjustment at first.
As far as gates verses good year to me it’s a toss up both are good. The parts store should be able to cross reference the gates number over to good year.
I still had the original belt and it was a Goodyear # 15550 V-Belt, 7/ 16 in. Width, 54.50 in. Length. This one would barely reach to the center of the pulley on the alternator. I stopped at a local Autozone and picked up their generic belt in a 56" to test it. The O'Reilly's Auto by my house has the 55.50" Gates belt in stock that I am also going to pick up and test fit. If they have a 55" I'll pick one of those up too just for fun. I'm hoping that one of them will work.
I'll let you all know tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:58 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-14-2009, 10:58 PM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

So the 56" belt was huge. I didn't get a chance to get the others yet. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:57 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

The way that this mounting kit came uses that top piece as an extension. You can see in the picture below that the 'ear' on it touches the casing and that is where it tightens up. I thought about using some kind of spacer there to get some more room but I am trying to keep the Bubba in me from doing that kind of stuff.

Unless I mounted it wrong. It looks like there may be something behind the bracket extension in this pic. I'll have to check it out and see.
That extension (clocking) bracket isn't fitting right with your alternator. It should fit snug against the body. I have the same bracket as you on my BB and it all works fine with tall valve covers. I don't see why you couldn't loosen the bracket, move it to fit against alternator body, and tighten well at that point. Another word of advice, I have broken a total of 3 of those supplied bolts with the bracket. This was on my smallblock. I've since replaced all the allen bolts with the black hardened bolts you can buy at Lowes and have had no problems since then. I would recommend this for sure!

I don't have any available close up pics of my bracket but here's what I do have. Note, I have removed that little extension piece on the engine side of the adjuster bar and moved the extension piece to the backside of the alternator.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

Look in Summit Racing under "adjusting rods" and buy a longer adjusting rod and get yourself a new belt to match.

Get notified of new replies

To New CS-144 Alternator too close to valve covers

Old 01-16-2009, 10:02 AM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tshort
That extension (clocking) bracket isn't fitting right with your alternator. It should fit snug against the body. I have the same bracket as you on my BB and it all works fine with tall valve covers. I don't see why you couldn't loosen the bracket, move it to fit against alternator body, and tighten well at that point. Another word of advice, I have broken a total of 3 of those supplied bolts with the bracket. This was on my smallblock. I've since replaced all the allen bolts with the black hardened bolts you can buy at Lowes and have had no problems since then. I would recommend this for sure!
I don't have any available close up pics of my bracket but here's what I do have. Note, I have removed that little extension piece on the engine side of the adjuster bar and moved the extension piece to the backside of the alternator.
I took the mounting assembly ear off and there is only one place to mount it on the back of the alternator. I am assuming that the tip of the ear is supposed to make contact with the housing to be the support/leverage point. I wonder if it is laid flat like below and tightend up, if it would still be secure. I'll see how it fits on the old SI style alternator. Maybe it's made to fit that specific style. If so I will need to find a place that sell just this piece for a CS-144.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 AM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

I still had the original belt and it was a Goodyear # 15550 V-Belt, 7/ 16 in. Width, 54.50 in. Length. This one would barely reach to the center of the pulley on the alternator. I stopped at a local Autozone and picked up their generic belt in a 56" to test it. The O'Reilly's Auto by my house has the 55.50" Gates belt in stock that I am also going to pick up and test fit. If they have a 55" I'll pick one of those up too just for fun. I'm hoping that one of them will work.
I'll let you all know tomorrow.
Well the 55.50" belt fit but hit the power steering pump. The 55" allows for about a 1/16" space from the belt to the pump but it is also close to the valve cover.
The power steering pump uses a 36.5" belt right now, but I am going to try a 37" belt to see if I can get it to move out a bit and give it a bit more clearance.
Are there any set guidelines on how much room the belt should have around it?
And how much space should be in-between the valve cover and alternator?

PS: Please ignore all of the saw dust. I was making some headboards for the girls this weekend. I’ll dust it all off later.

Here are some more pics.
Over all setup:

mounted:

Pulleys look to be lined up.

Spacing in-between the valve cover and alt.

Power steering pump

Spacing of alternator belt and power steering pump

I've got a bit of room to move this to the right with a larger belt.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:51 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

I looked at mine and even though the extension piece fits the contour of my alternator better it is NOT using that tab for support. Mine's not touching. It's close but there's still a small gap.
Are you actually running power steering or do you just have the pump for the hydroboost? I've been wanting to install the hydroboost but don't have pwr steering and don't want to convert.

Quick Reply: New CS-144 Alternator too close to valve covers