Sponsored by:

New BBC Oil Pressure Line Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Default New BBC Oil Pressure Line Install

I purchased a oil pressure line kit for my 72 LS-5 to replace the really lonnnnnnnng plastic tube a po used.

Any tips and suggestions before I start the install?

I know from the pictures in the AIM that I will need to bend the metal tube to mate up with the 45 degree block fitting and I'm concerned about how to do that without kinking the tube or just ending up with a big arc instead of a crisp angle about 2 inches from the end.

Also, the plastic tubing that came with the kit is only 18 inches long so I'm concerned that I may not have enough room to work behind the gauge bezel to make the connection. Anyone else done this successfully?

Thanks

cc
Old 01-15-2009, 10:24 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

I used a 45 degree adapter on my gauge with a braided line. I think i got a complete kit from my local speed shop.

If you have a 45 degree adapter the rigid copper line should go striaght in without bending?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:29 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jim2527
I used a 45 degree adapter on my gauge with a braided line. I think i got a complete kit from my local speed shop.

If you have a 45 degree adapter the rigid copper line should go striaght in without bending?
Jim, the metal tube looks like steel to me. It's only about 8-10 inches long then a black plastic line goes the rest of the way to the gauge.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:38 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by CCrane72
Jim, the metal tube looks like steel to me. It's only about 8-10 inches long then a black plastic line goes the rest of the way to the gauge.
OK...gotcha. The metal tube connects on the block end.

I used a kit like this from Jegs....I used the first adapter pictured on the back of my gauge

Old 01-15-2009, 06:24 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

On a BB, the system starts at the block just above the oil filter with a 45* adapter- 1/4 pipe to 1/8 compression fitting, then about 10 inches of copper line, a straight 1/8 compression fitting thru a bracket that bolts to the head just behind the exhaust manifold/header on the left side, then 1/8" nylon line to the gauge. Lots of guys are scared of the nylon line, but mine has been there for 35 years with no problems. I did run copper 1/8 line one time from the gauge to the engine (another car) all was good until vibraion cracked the line under the dash. Interior got oiled and so did I.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2527
OK...gotcha. The metal tube connects on the block end.

I used a kit like this from Jegs....I used the first adapter pictured on the back of my gauge

I have that same kit and have mine apart right now. That one 90 degree fitting is the one that fits on the back of the gauge????
Old 01-15-2009, 07:38 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

A small block can use anything that'll clear the intake- I've done them with a straight fitting, a 45* fitting and a 2" nipple to a 90* fitting. The idea is all the same. Your SBC could probably use the fitting on the far right or upper fitting. The line in the picture looks like it may be a -4 AN. The only thing you need to do is make for sure that the fittings you use are also AN fittings to pipe thread. The port in the block and the back of the gauge will be pipe thread.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
The port in the block and the back of the gauge will be pipe thread.
The one in the block is no problem. It is the stock gauge that is the problem. It is not a pipe fitting and none of the pictured adapters fits. Not even close
Old 01-15-2009, 09:08 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gordonm
The one in the block is no problem. It is the stock gauge that is the problem. It is not a pipe fitting and none of the pictured adapters fits. Not even close
There is a special 90* fitting for the back of the gauge. I got lucky and had one given to me by $tingray.

Originally Posted by TimAT
On a BB, the system starts at the block just above the oil filter with a 45* adapter- 1/4 pipe to 1/8 compression fitting, then about 10 inches of copper line, a straight 1/8 compression fitting thru a bracket that bolts to the head just behind the exhaust manifold/header on the left side, then 1/8" nylon line to the gauge. Lots of guys are scared of the nylon line, but mine has been there for 35 years with no problems. I did run copper 1/8 line one time from the gauge to the engine (another car) all was good until vibraion cracked the line under the dash. Interior got oiled and so did I.
TimAT, can you describe the bend in the BB metal pipe after it leaves the fitting in the 45* adapter? The pipe I got from Paragon is straight and will need to be bent in order for the fitting to match up to the adapter.

cc
Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

I didn't know the gauge was a special fitting! Thinking about it, I probably always did an aftermarket gauge so it was pipe thread. OOPS, egg on my face.

the bend is just a gentle wide radius bend- no kinks. that line on Ol' Red looks like hammered dog poop. It's been thru 3 engine changes, 2 head changes, and gone from stock iron manifolds and 3 sets of headers in 35+ years. Still works and no leaks- it's just fugly. My contention is that anyone looking that close needs to be elsewhere.

Get notified of new replies

To New BBC Oil Pressure Line Install

Quick Reply: New BBC Oil Pressure Line Install