Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Etched Flag Aluminum Horn Button

Old 01-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Etched Flag Aluminum Horn Button

I was getting tired of the scratches in my '77 horn button, which was already the rare cross flag button that you can't buy anymore. I had tried polishing it but the scratches were just too deep. I started thinking of a way that I might be able to replace the button with either something similar or just plain better.

Recreating the button with the clear resin and a foil emblem under was just not practice, so I ended up making this. It's a perfect fit to replace the factory button and it brings a really cool contrast to the black column parts and matches the brushed look of my four spokes. I don't have it installed yet because I am planning an 8 button head screw pattern on the ring that this button mounts under.

Needless to say, I am very happy with how it turned out and it was actually very easy and cheap to make...about the same as what a replacement button would cost.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very ingenious and looks great. I would be curious to see what the flags look like painted. You could easily remove the paint if you didn't like it.

Sure is nice to have access to machining tools. I can think of a million things I could do to help my Vette if I had a lathe and a welder (and knew how to weld)
Old 01-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work DB! I like the look…How is the etching done? Is it engraved or what? Is someone local doing it for you? Sorry for the million questions, but I have several things I would like to have done. I have been thinking of getting an engraving tool to try to do some things like this.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Theiskell
Nice work DB! I like the look…How is the etching done? Is it engraved or what? Is someone local doing it for you? Sorry for the million questions, but I have several things I would like to have done. I have been thinking of getting an engraving tool to try to do some things like this.

Yeah I have a guy who does my etching and has a full compliment of CNC machines and tools. He's made lots of stuff for me over the years and he never lets me down. Great machinist.

All I have to do is come up with a concept, a design, specifications, and relay it all to him in an email. He sends me the proof for approval, and a cost plus shipping. Once he gets the payment, he finishes the work, and ships it.

The best part is that once he makes something for me it's always in the computer and very easy for him to reproduce.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great I would say there has to be a market for those
Old 01-18-2009, 03:01 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Bobz08C6
I would be curious to see what the flags look like painted. You could easily remove the paint if you didn't like it.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:19 PM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you gonna add color to the flags? (oops missed previous post) Still curious.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Very nice piece of work DB but it does need some colour .
Old 01-18-2009, 05:43 PM
bojangies46
Racer

VERY COOL
Old 01-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Bruthish
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

Nice Matt! I like it!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:33 PM
curtis74
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw this up close the other day. It looks great! This guy does some nice work.........
Old 01-19-2009, 12:34 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rayluka
Are you gonna add color to the flags? (oops missed previous post) Still curious.

Not really sure about the color. I have a black wheel cover and column and the aluminum finish contrasts very well with the black. I might try it, as I have painted a few other items I have etched and they turned out good.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Durango_Boy
Not really sure about the color. I have a black wheel cover and column and the aluminum finish contrasts very well with the black. I might try it, as I have painted a few other items I have etched and they turned out good.
I think it looks good the way it is. If you do color it I would just paint the indention all one color. If you start trying to paint the whole thing like the emblems are painted I’m not sure that would look good. Just my .02
Old 01-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Criste
Instructor

You can always paint it later if you decide the color would help the emblem pop.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:08 AM
mdbelanger
Instructor

I was getting tired of the scratches in my '77 horn button, which was already the rare cross flag button that you can't buy anymore.
Nice job the machinest did for you.

Bought mine here.

http://www.zip-products.com/Zip/prod...3E236DA53AD138

Michael.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mdbelanger
Nice job the machinest did for you.

Bought mine here.

http://www.zip-products.com/Zip/prod...3E236DA53AD138

Michael.

Yeah that's the flag that's available to buy. The one I have is the one you can't find. Note the differences in flag design...it's the same as the nose, fender, and fuel lid on the '77 thru '79 Corvettes. All the replacement buttons have the later C3 flags, which don't match the '77 - '79 flags.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:15 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Matt,
If you fill the etched areas with wax, then wipe off the upper surface well, you could paint the other areas the same as the original. Then, heat it up to remove the wax and you'll have a perfect match! Nice job on the replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To Etched Flag Aluminum Horn Button

Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 AM
mdbelanger
Instructor

MY ERROR.

Your correct. Going thru my notes, I have three new ones all different. Bought it used.

Forgive_me

Michael.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mdbelanger
MY ERROR.

Your correct. Going thru my notes, I have three new ones all different. Bought it used.

Forgive_me

Michael.

Don't sweat it. This was just my solution because I can't get a new stock button and I don't like the offerings from the vendors. I wanted my '77 flag so I came up with the etched idea. I actually have it on several other pieces on the car.

Fuel Door:

Engine Data Plate:

The plate needs some touch up work on the flag, I did that with paint pens, and I wasn't happy with the results. However, it won't get mounted to the firewall until I have the new engine finished and in the car so I have time to get it fixed.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

..about the same as what a replacement button would cost.
Looks like the machinest does nice work but actually, about 50-70% more than a replacement button from vendors

Last edited by Jclgodale3; 01-20-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Etched Flag Aluminum Horn Button