Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Radio Install Help 1970

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:21 PM
red70stingray
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Radio Install Help 1970

I am installing a secret audio stereo 2 and hiding it in my glove box. 1970. This post will confirm i'm no expert!!!. The directions say to wire the red to a constant "on" wire regardless of the key possition, not to lose any presets... can't i just run a positive and negative from the battery and use the remote to turn it on or off? I assume the later will also not lose my presets. Can it be hooked up so it will turn off with the key without losing presets, if so, what wires should i look for??? If it helps, i have an original radio that plays fine, can i piggy back off any of those wires???
Thank You!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:23 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Your new radio has 12volts with key, 12 volt hot all the time and gorund

Your car radio harness has black for ground, Gray is dash lights (Do not use) and Yellow which is 12 volts with key. There is no hot all the time back in 70.

Get a hot all the time at the fuse box GM used Orange as hot all the time or you might see on the fuse box (Bat) which is battery. Take a test light and check it. Or go to Cigarette lighter which should be orange, center terminal.

This way radio will shut off when you take the key out and presets will stay for memory. You can piggy back off the power & ground wires. Solder and tape.

There is no reason to run wires all the way back to the battery

Hope this helps
Old 02-17-2009, 01:15 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nix

Run a 16 gauge wire from you needed hot location to the Fuse panel, crimp a red fermale lug on the end, and plug it into the batt terminal. C.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Droptop-Rob
Instructor

Could you share what radio your installing? I am still looking for one, and a hidden system would be cool. where did you get it? thanks for the info and good luck with the install
Old 02-17-2009, 08:50 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The radio will be inches from the battery. Put an appropriate fuse in the line and wire it directly to the + battery terminal. (Why bother with the fuse panel and 20 feet of wire?) The bigger problem is getting rid of the heat from the amp in the radio head unit when it is closed up in that 'box'. [By the way, how will you get the jack out when you have a flat?]
Old 02-17-2009, 09:16 AM
red70stingray
Pro

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The radio will be inches from the battery. Put an appropriate fuse in the line and wire it directly to the + battery terminal. (Why bother with the fuse panel and 20 feet of wire?) The bigger problem is getting rid of the heat from the amp in the radio head unit when it is closed up in that 'box'. [By the way, how will you get the jack out when you have a flat?]
I originally was going to hook it right to the battery, but thought i'd ask first... as far as removing the jack when i have a flat... as stated, the radio is hidden in the glove compartment, thats the center compartment with the key.... the jack is in the far right compartment behind the passenger seat.....
Old 02-17-2009, 09:23 AM
red70stingray
Pro

Originally Posted by Droptop-Rob
Could you share what radio your installing? I am still looking for one, and a hidden system would be cool. where did you get it? thanks for the info and good luck with the install
My set up is as follows...
Restored interior with an original factory radio with the speakers in the upper dash.
I then bought a SECRET AUDIO 2 SYSTEM which is ment to be hidden and very, VERY easily put it in the center section of the compartment area. It works by RF remote, dont need to point it at the unit for it to work. I have 4x6 speakers installed behind the kick panels and have 6x9 speakers in the rear tucked up behind the rear wheels, you do not see the rear speakers unless you lay on your back and look up.... worth the tedius install. The whole system is out of sight.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:15 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Sounds like you thought it out quite well. I'm not familiar with the "secret" radio but [mistakenly] thought it wouldn't fit in the center compartment, so I assumed the 'jack' compartment. I'd love to hear it when you get done.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:40 PM
bruiser
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 153 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I had one in my car for a little while. Didn't like it, controls hard to use.
I ended up just cutting my dash for a radio/cd player.
http://www.soundmove.com/secretaudio.htm
Old 04-01-2009, 02:33 PM
red70stingray
Pro

As requested.... pictures of the radios,yes plural, installed....
With the interior gutted... installed an original radio and wires and it plays threw speakers in the upper dash..
I then had speakers installed, 4x6 in the kick panels, took me awhile to find flat ones that wouldnt distort the kick panels...
Then had 6x9's installed in tha back... custom made "boxes" speakers are invisable!!!!
installed a secret audio to the center glove box and you can't see a thing!!!!
P.S. All those hidden antennas work like crap, so a Y was installed and the antenna was ran from the original radio back to the secret audio...
Pictures!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

Very nice install!!! I wish I would have known about this animal before I cut my dash.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:04 AM
red70stingray
Pro

Originally Posted by Theiskell
Very nice install!!! I wish I would have known about this animal before I cut my dash.
Thank You!

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Radio Install Help 1970

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radio Install Help 1970