Sponsored by:

th400 kickdown switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:36 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Default th400 kickdown switch

i am trying to find the underdash switch for my th400 kickdown.
i tried corvette central, midamerica, ecklers, and lectric unlimited.
searching on those sites for th400 kickdown switch doesnt show what i need.

any suggestions.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 PM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is probably what you want. After installation push the stem all the way forward (kind of hard) until you hear a noise. It will then set itself the next time the gas pedal goes to WOT.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...ssion%20switch
Old 03-09-2009, 08:45 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

thats the one i need,
thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 08:45 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Here it is

http://www.zip-corvette.com/Zip/prod...7BA53B141CA456
Old 03-09-2009, 10:10 PM
hammadown
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

2 great sources to get your switch at

Hammadown
Old 03-10-2009, 02:43 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

i was using the wrong words in the retailers search engine.
transmission switch brings up what i need at every place i try now.
transmisson kickdown is what i was using and that doesnt work.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:28 PM
crullg
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to install this part as well. How tough is it? Is there a good way to test the selenoid on the transmission to make sure that works? I also see some of the wires are bare, not melted or anything, just not covered. This part was gone when I bought the car, wondered why it did not downshift when putting the accelerator down. Any other help would be appreciated as to testing and wireing it up. Thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Ron71
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by crullg
I am looking to install this part as well. How tough is it? Is there a good way to test the selenoid on the transmission to make sure that works? I also see some of the wires are bare, not melted or anything, just not covered. This part was gone when I bought the car, wondered why it did not downshift when putting the accelerator down. Any other help would be appreciated as to testing and wireing it up. Thanks
It is not too difficult but you will have to wiggle your way under the dash and steering wheel as much as possible. It is not very comfortable but it doesn't take too long as there are only 2 screws that hold it in place if I remember correctly. Once installed and the wiring plug hooked back up on it, turn the key to the accesory setting but do not start the car. Reach up and manually engage the switch with your hand. You should be able to here a click sound from the transmission. The same switch also operates the cowl induction flap on the hood if your year has that.

If pressing on the gas pedal does not fully engage the switch, you can slide a small piece of rubber gas hose, or the like, over the cylinder arm of the switch and it will allow some greater movement.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 PM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Good advice here. As mentioned the switch is self adjusting. Perhaps the switch is o.k. but just out of adjustment. Reach up and push the arm on the switch toward the direction of the engine. It takes a little force so push hard at the base of the arm. When you hear a snap or thump or click or noise it has reset. The next time you push the gas pedal to WOT it will set itself.

At WOT with the switch in the on position you should be able to check the wire connector to see if it is hot.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:28 PM
smon
Racer

I believe summit sells and adjustable unit that fits in the stock location for about $40. My pedal does not push the switch far enough, good idea on the rubber hose.

Sean
Old 11-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Ron71
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 75vettehelp
I believe summit sells and adjustable unit that fits in the stock location for about $40. My pedal does not push the switch far enough, good idea on the rubber hose.

Sean
Several folks use black tape and wrap around several times to "thicken" the armature. I personall prefer the rubber hose as it does not become sticky in the summer when the interior gets hot and the tape begins to soften up.

I had one switch that I could not seem to get adjusted after resetting several times, bending the gas pedal, etc. To get it adjusted just the way I wanted it, I used a small piece of rubber gas hose, which brought it pretty close but not perfect. The fix was going to the auto store and buying short piece of a larger rubber hose that slid over the rubber gas line. Overall the armature was about 3/8 to 1/2 inch wider in diameter when I was done which allowed the kickdown to work great ever since.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:33 PM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 75vettehelp

Sean
Sean, I would bet your pedal would push the switch far enough to energize if you would do the "self adjust" I mentioned in my post. If the pedal arm pushes the switch arm at all it should self adjust. The piece of hose over the switch arm is a good idea if you can keep it from working itself out of position.

Get notified of new replies

To th400 kickdown switch

Quick Reply: th400 kickdown switch