Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom C3's from the 70's *PICS*

Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 PM
canamvette75
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom C3's from the 70's *PICS*

My car has been around since 1977 and i thought i would share some pics of the shows from back then.

1977: First show ever for the car at the NY Coliseum. At that time the car was candy apple brandywine over a black base (the car got redun soon after). The car got best in show at its first ever show:

1978: Car got redun with a full 6 tail light rear and fastback window. The car also got painted teracota firemist (cadillac color). That color got changed less than 2 years later though because it looked bad. These pics are also from the coliseum but from the next year.

The Zaino Brothers Display. If u look closely you can pickout five can am's(mine, two red ones, silver one, and a gold one):

One of the red can am's in the display (you can see the silver one in the backround):

Early 1980's: Car got redun for the final time. this time the paint was changed to the same candy apple brandywine as the first time. The only difference this time is that it was over a gold base. The car still has this same paint job almost 30 years later. Pic is from a show in the early 80's at the NJ Garden State Arts Center.

Pic from 80's:

Pic from 2008 with same paint:

Hope you enjoyed that blast from the past. Let me know what you think

Last edited by canamvette75; 04-01-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:00 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Believe it or not I use to attend those NYC shows with my regal blue metal flake with white and candy blue strope stripes '69 Z/28. I probably saw your car back in the day as I always followed the Zaino Brothers stuff. Tommy is back at in again and has a shop on the south shore of Staten Island. To those interested I always see a pick-up he recently painted and his work is still top notch 1st class. By the way your car looks great and has withstood the test of time.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Vector wheels

Nice car, I have the American Vector wheels also, I noticed that in the first picture the wheels are stock, but the rest of the pictures show the wheels with the spokes being a dark color. Any special prep for the paint job and what type of paint?

Old 04-01-2009, 10:50 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mod75
Nice car, I have the American Vector wheels also, I noticed that in the first picture the wheels are stock, but the rest of the pictures show the wheels with the spokes being a dark color. Any special prep for the paint job and what type of paint?

This works real well for a DYI. http://duplicolor.anthonythomas.com/...wto_wheel.html
and it comes in several colors.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:10 PM
canamvette75
Racer

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
Believe it or not I use to attend those NYC shows with my regal blue metal flake with white and candy blue strope stripes '69 Z/28. I probably saw your car back in the day as I always followed the Zaino Brothers stuff. Tommy is back at in again and has a shop on the south shore of Staten Island. To those interested I always see a pick-up he recently painted and his work is still top notch 1st class. By the way your car looks great and has withstood the test of time.
tommy zaino is indeed still kickin in staten island. i see him alot. i also see his brother sal (zaino wax) alot. unfortunatly tommy's paint shop cought fire a month or two ago (his mechanical shop is still fine). now while he repairs the damage, he is working out of a paint booth down the street.

also did u live in brooklyn while zaino was in buisness?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:45 PM
applevette
Instructor

Originally Posted by canamvette75
Pic from 80's:
Awesome ride!

Is that a hand poking out of the side exhaust?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:10 PM
canamvette75
Racer

Originally Posted by applevette
Awesome ride!

Is that a hand poking out of the side exhaust?
yup. also if u look in the first pic from 1977, you can see a hand on the dash. this is where the car gets its name "Handy Kandy" from. to this day we still put the hands all over the car.

we still put them in the exhaust too, but i dont have any pictures of it right now.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:31 PM
OURSHARK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The paint looks great after 30 years. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I think those are Western II Cyclone wheels with cones and spinners available from Eckler's in the early 1980s. I had written correspondence in the 1990s with the folks who produced those cones and spinners.

This was 35mm, pre-digital camera.

Last edited by Paul L; 04-02-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:51 PM
canamvette75
Racer

Originally Posted by Mod75

The wheels were painted by Zaino Brothers also. They sanded them as smooth as they could get them and then , after masking off all the shiny surfaces, sprayed them with Knock-Off wheel paint. It's highly metalic and a dark silver gray in color. If you look at the wheels again ( 2008 pic)you'll also notice that I also obtained the knock off hub adaptors for the Western Wheels with original knock off spinners. The early picture shows spinners on the wheels but they were on a hub the was fastened to the wheel face with screws and they didn't cover the lug nuts. They made very few of those knock off kits back in the late 70's, early 80's and are hard to come by today.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:55 PM
canamvette75
Racer

Originally Posted by paul 74
I think those are Western II Cyclone wheels with cones and spinners available from Eckler's in the early 1980s. I had written correspondence in the 1990s with the folks who produced those cones and spinners.

You are correct!! I obtained the kit from someone who had them on his Vette for a short while and then decided to do a full restoration so I had an opertunity to get them in almost NOS condition. You don't see them for sale anywhere today.

Last edited by canamvette75; 04-02-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:56 PM
KevinK
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I have seen your car....I remember the hands for some reason....you ever do an shows in CT?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:03 PM
canamvette75
Racer

Originally Posted by KevinK
I think I have seen your car....I remember the hands for some reason....you ever do an shows in CT?
No, never done any shows in CT. I did attend the show at All American Chevrolet in Hackensack NJ which has a large participation from a Vette club from CT. Ever do that show??
Old 04-02-2009, 08:14 PM
canamvette75
Racer

Also, do you remember George Stone from your NYC show days???...
Old 04-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

Ok while we are on the NYC shows, there used to be a C2 show car that was called Blown Glass. It was Candy Apple Red with a mural of a guy blowing glass. I think I remember it from a show out in Long Island?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 PM
canamvette75
Racer

Originally Posted by sixty4
Ok while we are on the NYC shows, there used to be a C2 show car that was called Blown Glass. It was Candy Apple Red with a mural of a guy blowing glass. I think I remember it from a show out in Long Island?
I've never ran in to that guy while doing shows back in day...
Old 04-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

Your car is really nice (I forgot to mention)! I remember the car I mentioned from a show at the Nassau Coliseum. Did you ever show it there?

Get notified of new replies

To Custom C3's from the 70's *PICS*

Old 04-02-2009, 09:10 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

tommy zaino is indeed still kickin in staten island. i see him alot. i also see his brother sal (zaino wax) alot. unfortunatly tommy's paint shop cought fire a month or two ago (his mechanical shop is still fine). now while he repairs the damage, he is working out of a paint booth down the street.

also did u live in brooklyn while zaino was in buisness?
No a native Staten Islander but the Zaino Brothers were very well know out here also. I did know about the fire because someone I work with knows him real well from back in the day.

Also, do you remember George Stone from your NYC show days???...
That name rings a bell but I can't remember why. :o
Old 04-02-2009, 09:23 PM
canamvette75
Racer

That name rings a bell but I can't remember why. :o
George Stone was the guy who you sent your entry form to. he basically set the show up.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:22 PM
turbojet
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What motor you got in that Bad boy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom C3's from the 70's *PICS*