Sponsored by:

Spare Tire Lock and Key

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Larry Walters
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tire Lock and Key

Can a key be made for an early C3 spare tire lock with a code of B1? Will a regular locksmith know what this means and know which key blank to use? Thanks.
Larry
Old 04-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

I assume it is not the lock that came with the car, correct? You can make a key to most any lock. A locksmith can do it. First they will need to pick the lock to get it in the open position so it will come apart. Once apart, there should be a key code number on the lock cylinder. From that code, he can make a key.

Gary
Old 04-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Larry Walters
Navigator

Originally Posted by Duke94
I assume it is not the lock that came with the car, correct? You can make a key to most any lock. A locksmith can do it. First they will need to pick the lock to get it in the open position so it will come apart. Once apart, there should be a key code number on the lock cylinder. From that code, he can make a key.

Gary
Thanks Gary. Actually I have more experience with this than I want as I had to have door and ignition keys made but the key blank was easy and the code was visible on the door lock onced removed. I am looking at buying the bolt with the lock on it but no key. The seller says the lock has B1 stamped on the outside back of the lock. I don't know if this is actually the key code. The locksmiths I have worked with were obviously not thiefs in former life cause they don't pick locks, they just cut keys to codes or copy keys. I don't want to buy this and then have to break the lock to use the bolt. Do you know anything about what the code should look like on this lock, ie - could B1 be the code? Thanks.

Larry
Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Larry, you should fill out the rest of your profile so we can tell what year of car you have.

However, as a general rule, the early C3s used the same key for the doors and ignition, the square head, and the same key for the spare tire lock, storage compartment and alarm (if so equipped), round head.

Hope this helps you make your decision.

cc

BTW, find a locksmith who has been in business for at least 30 years and he will most likely be able to re-key the lock to match your storage compartment key (if the keyway matches) and will have the correct key blanks too.

Look around the shop for old keys on the wall and old locks.

Last edited by CCrane65; 04-06-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Larry Walters
Navigator

Originally Posted by CCrane72
Larry, you should fill out the rest of your profile so we can tell what year of car you have.

However, as a general rule, the early C3s used the same key for the doors and ignition, the square head, and the same key for the spare tire lock, storage compartment and alarm (if so equipped), round head.

Hope this helps you make your decision.

cc

BTW, find a locksmith who has been in business for at least 30 years and he will most likely be able to re-key the lock to match your storage compartment key (if the keyway matches) and will have the correct key blanks too.

Look around the shop for old keys on the wall and old locks.
Thanks Crane. I didn't realize my profile was incomplete so I fixed that. Actually mine is a '68 so it had the octagonal ignition and door key. That problem is solved. I don't have a key for the lock compartment but that is an easy key gut to get at so I can use this to help determine the key blank. I guess you don't know if the "B1" on the spare tire lock case is actually the key code. Let me know if you think it is. I'm sure it is a simple key. I don't really need the lock but I need the bolt and I have a chance to get both. It doesn't make sense if I can't make the lock work. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:03 PM
400hp427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Larry Walters
Can a key be made for an early C3 spare tire lock with a code of B1? Will a regular locksmith know what this means and know which key blank to use? Thanks.
Larry
http://www.jessersclassickeys.com/
This guy can make anything, he can even cut keys from the number on your key fob
Old 04-06-2009, 11:50 PM
68mako2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 400hp427vette
http://www.jessersclassickeys.com/
This guy can make anything, he can even cut keys from the number on your key fob
Thanks, this is a great help and close too.

LW
Old 04-07-2009, 12:16 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks Crane. I didn't realize my profile was incomplete so I fixed that. Actually mine is a '68 so it had the octagonal ignition and door key. That problem is solved. I don't have a key for the lock compartment but that is an easy key gut to get at so I can use this to help determine the key blank. I guess you don't know if the "B1" on the spare tire lock case is actually the key code. Let me know if you think it is. I'm sure it is a simple key. I don't really need the lock but I need the bolt and I have a chance to get both. It doesn't make sense if I can't make the lock work. Thanks.
No but most key codes are a single letter. That looks more like a date code. "B" is usually February. The number could stand for the first day of the month or it could stand for 1971.

I would guess that the code for the lock will be on the cylinder not the lock casing.
Casings are interchangeable whereas cylinders are specific to certain key ways.

cc

Last edited by CCrane65; 04-07-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

First, go find a REAL locksmith as any real locksmith can pick these locks. I assume your tire lock looks like the one in the first photo (from my 78'). In order to get the cylinder out to make a key, a small pin accessible thru the hole in the face of the cylinder needs to be depressed (I used a small drill) then rotate the cylinder Counter clockwise (which is why you have to pick the lock) and the cylinder will come right out. With the cylinder out, the locksmith can easily make a key. Note that my 78’ did NOT have any key codes on the cylinder, but yours might have one (should be a 4 digit as I recall). At some point GM stopped stamping the cylinder with the key code. Also, the B1 is not the key code as you can see in the last photo, they all have this ID. Hope this helps.

Gary

Old 04-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Larry Walters
Navigator

First, go find a REAL locksmith as any real locksmith can pick these locks. I assume your tire lock looks like the one in the first photo (from my 78'). In order to get the cylinder out to make a key, a small pin accessible thru the hole in the face of the cylinder needs to be depressed (I used a small drill) then rotate the cylinder Counter clockwise (which is why you have to pick the lock) and the cylinder will come right out. With the cylinder out, the locksmith can easily make a key. Note that my 78’ did NOT have any key codes on the cylinder, but yours might have one (should be a 4 digit as I recall). At some point GM stopped stamping the cylinder with the key code. Also, the B1 is not the key code as you can see in the last photo, they all have this ID. Hope this helps.

Gary

Gary, this is exactly what I needed to know. You have been of great help. Thanks.

Larry
Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 PM
68mako2
Intermediate

Gary, this is exactly what I needed to know. You have been of great help. Thanks.

Larry
Hi Gary. I'm back and I have the lock. It is a '75. Do I need to have the correct key blank to insert to turn the lock after the detent is depressed? Right now I am soaking it I WD40 and I have tried to remove the lock following your instructions but it won't come out. I don't have the correct key blank so I am basically just trying to turn the lock cylinder by turning the slotted opening. Thanks for your help. My plan is to remove the cylinder, the cylinder in my inside lock compartment and take them somewhere and have them matched and keys made. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 68mako2
Hi Gary. I'm back and I have the lock. It is a '75. Do I need to have the correct key blank to insert to turn the lock after the detent is depressed? Right now I am soaking it I WD40 and I have tried to remove the lock following your instructions but it won't come out. I don't have the correct key blank so I am basically just trying to turn the lock cylinder by turning the slotted opening. Thanks for your help. My plan is to remove the cylinder, the cylinder in my inside lock compartment and take them somewhere and have them matched and keys made. Thanks.
Larry,
You need the correct key or a locksmith to "pick it" open. If you are going to a locksmith to have the keys made anyway, he/she can pick it open for you. Just trying to twist will not do it. MANY years ago I worked my way through college as a locksmith. Back then, I picked open hundreds of 60’s and 70’s era locks to make keys when lost by their owners. Not sure I could pick one open today.

Gary

If you can't find someone to get it open for you, you can send it to me and I'll give it a go.

Last edited by Duke94; 04-15-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Just try "picking a lock" on youtube......lots of info there.....educational purposes only please
Old 04-15-2009, 10:10 PM
68mako2
Intermediate

Larry,
You need the correct key or a locksmith to "pick it" open. If you are going to a locksmith to have the keys made anyway, he/she can pick it open for you. Just trying to twist will not do it. MANY years ago I worked my way through college as a locksmith. Back then, I picked open hundreds of 60’s and 70’s era locks to make keys when lost by their owners. Not sure I could pick one open today.

Gary

If you can't find someone to get it open for you, you can send it to me and I'll give it a go.
Thanks Gary. I'll look for a locksmith. You have been very helpful.

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To Spare Tire Lock and Key

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Lock and Key