Sponsored by:

Repainting Frame Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:32 AM
dukvet76
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Repainting Frame Question

I purchased a 72 rolling chassis out of florida that some guy spent a ton of money on having restored. When it was delivered, it got bumped around and there is some small surface rust and scratches on the frame. I would like to repaint the frame to protect it before putting the body on it. I don't want to remove all the suspension parts to do this, because there is nothing wrong with them.

Can anybody recommend a paint that I can brush on over the existing paint (after I scuff it down), so that I have the piece of mind that my frame is protected and surface rust won't start. Would POR15 do the trick?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:00 AM
hicswa
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dukvet76
I purchased a 72 rolling chassis out of florida that some guy spent a ton of money on having restored. When it was delivered, it got bumped around and there is some small surface rust and scratches on the frame. I would like to repaint the frame to protect it before putting the body on it. I don't want to remove all the suspension parts to do this, because there is nothing wrong with them.

Can anybody recommend a paint that I can brush on over the existing paint (after I scuff it down), so that I have the piece of mind that my frame is protected and surface rust won't start. Would POR15 do the trick?
Go to www.eastwood.com. They got the stuff you will need. They also got a good help section or just call them.

Danny
Old 05-11-2009, 09:24 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You first need to test the paint that is on the frame to see if it adheres well....or not. If it doesn't hold up to minor scraping, any good paint you put on top won't hold up either. It's your call, but now's the time to do it, if you want it done right.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:15 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I do not think Por15 would be your best choice over paint,
It would be best to remove the paint espically if it is scratching and rusting easily.
you have no ideal how or / IF ? the frame was prepped ? 69VETT

Get notified of new replies

To Repainting Frame Question

Quick Reply: Repainting Frame Question