Sponsored by:

Hydroboost install complete with pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:25 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Hydroboost install complete with pics

I finally got to take my '80 out for a spin with a Hydroboost hydraulic brake booster yesterday. I like the feel of HB brakes SO much more than a stock vacuum booster. Total cost of the project was about $300.

I've got to give credit to our son, Matt. He put a HB booster on his friend's Camaro and applied what he learned to my car, especially for connectors, hoses, and routing the lines. The end result looks great!! See for yourself:

Here is the installed booster and MC from the left:

and from the right:

Here are a couple of pics showing how the lines route over the Steeroids u-joints:

Keeping the lines high and tight-left keeps them as far from the headers as possible too:

Matt is a CNC machinist. He annodized the custom aluminum mounting plate and engraved the top edge. Nice tough:

Old 06-08-2009, 10:28 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Very nice and neat job.

I really like the hose routing. I also like that you used stainless rather than rubber for the return line. I did the latter and plan to go back and redo it. Works fine but I like the look better with all stainless.
The following users liked this post:
76CSRvette (07-15-2016)
Old 06-08-2009, 03:27 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

When you use a hydroboost, does the MC end up in the same place it was when connected to the vacuum canister? In other words, will the MC brake lines exactly match up to the holes in the MC just as if it was still with the vacuum booster?
Thanks
Old 06-08-2009, 10:32 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
When you use a hydroboost, does the MC end up in the same place it was when connected to the vacuum canister? In other words, will the MC brake lines exactly match up to the holes in the MC just as if it was still with the vacuum booster?
Thanks
I made no changes to the MC or brake lines whatsoever. I didn't measure, but I think the HB and vacuum boosters are the same depth. I will measure tomorrow to let you know for sure.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:40 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicely done. Very clean.

Did your son make the custom mounting plate?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Looks very nicely put together. This is one of the things I have been wanting to do to my vette for a while. I like the cost of your project. Is the hydraboost a junkyard unit or any details would be appreciated?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:15 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by MN-Brent
Nicely done. Very clean.

Did your son make the custom mounting plate?
Yes, Matt machined the mounting plate. The mounting plate is the most important part of the conversion because that is what maintains the functional length of the rod from the pedal to the booster.

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
Looks very nicely put together. This is one of the things I have been wanting to do to my vette for a while. I like the cost of your project. Is the hydraboost a junkyard unit or any details would be appreciated?
The Hydroboost is a $50 junkyard unit from a late-90's 3/4 ton Chevy pickup. Yes, Matt did an excellent job with the whole setup. He spent a lot of time measuring for the plate, mocking up the hoses, choosing and shopping for the right connectors, etc. That is his signature.

Eddie, let me know when you're ready to convert.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:39 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I have the hydroboost also from VB&P

believe me, you will stop.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hydroboost gives a whole new meaning to braking on a C3. It is one of the most inexpensive enhancements you can make. And like Eagle says: you will STOP and darn quick and easy!

C3 Hydroboost
Old 07-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m not sure I understand…..I’ll agree your mounting plate looks nice, but I cant see how it works any better than others. I’m not trying to be negative here, but there are lots of people who will want to try the conversion and the thickness of the plate would only affect the position of the adjustment nut on the clevis. Or am I missing something?

Not the best picture, but the plate on mine is only 1/8” thick.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Originally Posted by Theiskell
I’m not sure I understand…..I’ll agree your mounting plate looks nice, but I cant see how it works any better than others. I’m not trying to be negative here, but there are lots of people who will want to try the conversion and the thickness of the plate would only affect the position of the adjustment nut on the clevis. Or am I missing something?

Mounting plate thickness can be compensated on the clevis position. The mounting plate does look nice indeed.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:05 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

The thickness of the plate would only affect the position of the adjustment nut on the clevis. Or am I missing something?

My Hydroboost unit was missing something - an adjustment nut. The Hydroboost unit I got from the salvage yard (the last one they had) has a fixed length clevis. It was easy to make the plate the thickness needed for the HB clevis length to be the same as the vacuum booster.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:29 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

For the conversion, most will cut off the eye of the rod and thread it 3/8 24, then use the adjustable yoke from the original kinkage. Then the mounting plate thickness is mute.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
My Hydroboost unit was missing something - an adjustment nut. The Hydroboost unit I got from the salvage yard (the last one they had) has a fixed length clevis. It was easy to make the plate the thickness needed for the HB clevis length to be the same as the vacuum booster.

Ahhhhh I see why you would think the plate thickness is critical. Like Aktbird said most cut the end off and thread it. I do need to give you credit for making it work your way. That is thinking out of the box nice job! You might have a business there, I’m sure some would like the plug and play feature you have come up with.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Originally Posted by MN80Vette

I am just curious as to how you mounted the clevis to the brake pedal since the pedal is designed for the original style clevis which straddles the pedal with the pin going through and locked.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:36 PM
rogernison
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Hose routing

Do you have any pics of the pressure hose routing from the ps pump to the Hydroboost?

Get notified of new replies

To Hydroboost install complete with pics

Quick Reply: Hydroboost install complete with pics