Sponsored by:

Carpet over reflectix and dynamat questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:53 PM
vettecrazy88
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Carpet over reflectix and dynamat questions

For 75 coupe. Carpet is not jute backed. Dynamat down. Reflecticx cut to size.

Should I use spray adhesive on all layers or just over reflectix?

Do I need to get the jute backing?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:01 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you'll only need adhesive on the vertical surfaces.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:20 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You'll get lots of 'opinions' about which layer should be under the other and about how effective each is. 'Experts' say the Dynamat needs to be next to the floorboard to properly dampen the sound vibrations; others say the heat insulation needs to be first so that the heat doesn't reach the Dynamat...and so on, and so on. Personally, I wouldn't put two layers of anything under my carpeting...but.... Anyway, I think you should use some 3M spray adhesive to stick the Reflectix to either the floorboard or the Dynamat, because it is relatively slick. You only need to use it on the vertical surfaces when you install the carpeting. You do not need any jute underlayment if you are installing the other stuff. {P.S. I'm not sure how you get the carb to open fully with all that stuff under the accelerator pedal.}
Old 06-13-2009, 12:14 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
{P.S. I'm not sure how you get the carb to open fully with all that stuff under the accelerator pedal.}
Just dont install it under the pedal. One layer of Dynamat will not affect the pedal. The few square inches that isnt covered with reflectix is not going to make any difference
Old 06-13-2009, 01:21 AM
vettecrazy88
Pro

Thanks MakoShark72 and 7T1Vette.

Dynamat Extreme on floorboard and tunnel, Reflectix over that. Spray adhesive binding those two. Spray adhesive on vertical surfaces between Reflectix and Carpet. So Firewall and tunnel, behind seats, wheel wells. What about very back of storage area where light is? Does the carpet just hang there ore require adhesive?
Old 06-13-2009, 01:41 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vettecrazy88
Thanks MakoShark72 and 7T1Vette.

Dynamat Extreme on floorboard and tunnel, Reflectix over that. Spray adhesive binding those two. Spray adhesive on vertical surfaces between Reflectix and Carpet. So Firewall and tunnel, behind seats, wheel wells. What about very back of storage area where light is? Does the carpet just hang there ore require adhesive?
Sounds about right... Heres a couple of pix of mine, I havent done the Reflectix yet. I dont plan to use adhesive between the Dynamat and Reflectix. Just will use some to hold carpet to the vertical surfaces, like behind the seats and over wheel wells in back. Also, since I have sidepipes, I'll only use Reflectix on the forward footwells, firewall, and tunnel. Remember, Reflectix does nothing for noise dampening, so where there is no heat source, there's no need to use the Reflectix, IMO. Dynamat simply dampens vibrations (sound) so it should go wherever is accessible, since all parts of our cars vibrate, hence all parts are a source of noise. Large panels and parts will vibrate the most, so make the most noise (floorpan, footwells, door skins, etc) so therefor are the best use of Dynamat...

Old 06-13-2009, 01:42 AM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My reflectix sits loose except at the rear compartment opening vertical surfaces.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:57 AM
vettecrazy88
Pro

Thanks MakoShark72 and AK. Mal. Great advice as usual on this forum.

I use a quarter jar where I have to put a quarter in the jar whenever I swear working on the Corvette. Is this a 50 cent job or a $2.50 job? I made $1.25 in just one sentence doing the parking brakes. I don't swear that much either.

Last edited by vettecrazy88; 06-13-2009 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:47 AM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

The reflectix is easy peasy. If you don't have it already, buy some of the metallic duct tape that is sold at the home improvement stores near the duct work. Not the regular gray roll of duct tape.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:49 AM
toolman1981
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a few pics from my install.
Dynamat definitely attatched to the car surface (metal, fiberglass). Installed on all flat areas that sound can resonate through.
And even in the rear compartments.
Reflectix spray adhesived to Dynamat on all flat and verticle surfaces.
Yes you do need to watch out not to get it too thick around pedals.
I only put Reflectix on the floor surfaces, not the doors or rear area.

After doing all this its like having a totally different car. Much more solid feeling.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:24 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You don't need Reflectix in the storage compartment area...only back to [and including] the bulkhead behind the seats.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:55 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vettecrazy88
Thanks MakoShark72 and AK. Mal. Great advice as usual on this forum.

I use a quarter jar where I have to put a quarter in the jar whenever I swear working on the Corvette. Is this a 50 cent job or a $2.50 job? I made $1.25 in just one sentence doing the parking brakes. I don't swear that much either.
I'd say a no swear job. Didnt you say the Dynamat is already down? If not, its easy, just a little time consuming. It doesnt have to be pretty, with all the "Dynamat" emblems perfectly lined up. You're going to cover it anyway with reflectix and then carpet. Overlapping is fine too. The refectix looks very easy. Its lightweight, CHEAP, and easy to cut.

Post some pictures as you do this!
Old 06-13-2009, 05:16 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Just make sure that you trim around your front floorboard drain plugs and not cover over them.
I use Dynamat Extreme and the Dynamat Extremeliner when I insulate Corvettes at my shop. I remove the jute when installing the carpet because the Extremeliner is padded. I do not know of this "reflectix" product.
There are alot of nice looking Dynamat jobs out there installed in Corvettes.
The rear carpet should use the three rubber carpet plugs to hold it against the rear vertical wall where your interior light housing is located. (if i'm not mistaken). I also use spray adhesive to aid in holding it up along with the rubber plugs, just watch out for the fumes, make sure you have VERY good air flow or you will get a SERIOUS head rush. Or better yet, wear a respirator.....brain and nervous system damage can occur, Some people are more sensitive to the chemicals than others.
"DUB"
Old 06-14-2009, 07:44 PM
vettecrazy88
Pro

Thanks to all! The advice has made it so much easier. Got the back area done. Looks nice.

Grandmastercorvette you mentioned rubber carpet plugs. Do you have mopre info as I didn't see any when I removed the old (wasn't original) and missed them. Do you know if they are in the assembly manual?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:06 AM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

The rubber carpet plugs are the same ones used by GM to hold up your firewall insulation. The holes in your rear area will be about 5/16" in diameter and there are three of them. I am working on a 75 interior and just installed teh rear carpet so this is a FACT.
The rubber plug has a head on it about the size of a quarter, and it has a arrowhead shaped cone on the end to aid in securing it to the fiberglass. They are in the catalogs , probably near the firewall insulation section. They are a bit ttricky to install and with you having no way to get to the backside of the rear panel without major parts removal, care must be taken while installing them so you do not poke a hole through the plug when installing. It you need to talk to me about this, call me (704)394-5150 "DUB"

Get notified of new replies

To Carpet over reflectix and dynamat questions

Quick Reply: Carpet over reflectix and dynamat questions