Sponsored by:

Steering Column problems...it's endless

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:04 AM
behardt91
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Column problems...it's endless

I've reassembled my column for the most part but my horn isn't working right. Whenever I turn the steering wheel, the horn goes off as if it's grounding when it's not supposed to. I'm also having a problem when I go to turn the car while it's moving. The car will turn completely but about halfway through the turn it's as if there's some resistance that wasn't there before. I know something in there is not right. Someone said the wires within the column aren't pulled back all the way but I'm not sure. Give me some advice. This is the first time I've ever been inside my column. My car is a 79 L82 Corvette.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

When you reinstalled your steering column into the car did you follow the installation procedure as outlined in the AIM? If the steering column shaft is not aligned properly to the steering gear input shaft, it can result in some binding occuring at the flexible coupling.

You should inspect the flexible coupling (under the hood, down under the brake booster.) The two stop pins extending rearward (toward the driver) should be central in the slots of the steering shaft flange. They should be central and not touching the flange. Turn the steering wheel one quarter turn and inspect both pins again. They should still be central.

The wires from your turn signal switch should be extending down and out of the steering column head without even being close to the steering shaft. I have heard of the wires being pinched and short circuiting but not contacting or rubbing on the rotating steering shaft.

There should be a plastic retainer GM part number 7808385 that covers the C-clip that retains the telescoping upper steering shaft. The retainer not only prevents the C-clip from working it way out of its slot, it also insulates the big telescoping spring from contacting metal and causing the horn to blow. This plastic retainer usually gets very brittle and breaks into many pieces when you try to disassemble the steering column. Is it possible that you didn't replace the retainer?

Jim
Old 06-27-2009, 10:43 PM
behardt91
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did replace the plastic retainer after it broke and I think I've found out what's causing the horn to co crazy. And I don't think there are any wires that have been scrunched up so the steering issue must have something to do with the shaft. I'll definitely take a look at it next time I get the chance. Thanks for the help Jim.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column problems...it's endless

Quick Reply: Steering Column problems...it's endless