Sponsored by:

Questions about PA Antique plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Drbluevert
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about PA Antique plate

Tag place said I need 4 pictures (all sides) and the car must be restored 100% and original. If even the hubcaps are not correct they will reject the application. I've seen klunkers on the road with Antique tags? I'm told it takes a month to get tags and cannot get any temp tags meanwhile. Anybody know the facts?
Old 08-04-2009, 01:50 PM
depdep3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I considered the same thing then decided there were too many restrictions.

Go to this web site and do a search for "antique"

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/
Old 08-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Go here: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ets/fs-ant.pdf

Read this:

DEFINITION OF ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLES
Antique Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured more than 25 years prior to the
current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformance with
manufacturer specifications.

Classic Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured at least 15 years prior to the current
year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformity with manufacturer
specifications and appearance.
Any classic motor vehicle registered under Section 1340 (relating to antique, classic and
collectible plates) on the effective date of the amendment to this definition which fails to qualify as a classic motor vehicle
pursuant to these provisions may retain such classic registration unless another type of registration is applied for and
issued for the vehicle.
Emphasis added. I think you are OK with changing your hubcaps.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:43 PM
vette442
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had about 8-10 cars with PA Classic and Antique tags since 1991. Yes, they are sticklers about accepting applications now, much more than in the past. The car needs to be pretty much stock, no wrong year external parts/stripes/colors or aftermarket add-ons, and the windows need to be up in the pics so they can be sure the glass is there (I kid you not). If you see a car in crappy shape with the older purple plates, they got them awhile back when things were less stringent or the car has deteriorated since then. Another possibility is that they used pics of a similar, nicer car when the application was sent in.

It takes about 5-10 days to get the antique plates if you use a local notary/PA messenger service that goes to Harrisburg regularly. Another option if you're itching to get your car on the road is to pay a little more for regular registration/temp tags then apply for antique plate at the same time. You will have the regular plates/temp tag at appx. $120 right away, then you have also spent $85 for the one-time antique/classic registration that will come in a couple weeks later. I've done that before too.

Terry
Old 08-04-2009, 11:04 PM
jpargo
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist

Terry is correct, you are better getting regular tags first then applying. I would also consider getting classic vs. antique as the restrictions on the antique are terrible in my opinion. Just my 2 cents and I have classic tags on my 68 coupe and 72 vert...
Old 08-05-2009, 07:09 AM
nutsy
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

when i applied for my antique plates in pa they were rejected because it has a luggage rack. i had to take it off and send new pics. its a hassle but worth it if you dont drive much. its nice never paying for renewal or inspections.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Craigs 75
3rd Gear

I just got PA classic tags for my 75 about a month ago. and it took about 10 days! Make sure you take all four pictures straight on all sides. And windows must be up or you will be waiting a few more days. It dosen't seem right that you pay for the car,taxes,insurance and tags, and still can't drive the car.But that the wonderful state of PA.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Raptor119
Instructor

Plus the fact most states today do NOT want to keep old cars on the road. The eco-***** want you to buy a tree hugging friendly econobox that you can pack maybe two bags of groceries in.

Not to mention the "lost revenue" for taxes they don't get on newer car purchaeses.

They are making it as hard as they can and I think the sitting president will be rolling out more ridiculous laws to keep his eco-**** friends happy. Stay tuned..............
Old 08-05-2009, 03:32 PM
69/03vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Drbluevert
Tag place said I need 4 pictures (all sides) and the car must be restored 100% and original. If even the hubcaps are not correct they will reject the application. I've seen klunkers on the road with Antique tags? I'm told it takes a month to get tags and cannot get any temp tags meanwhile. Anybody know the facts?
You do need 4 pictures with windows up and you can not have any aftermarket wheels. The car does not need to be 100% original just so it looks lika a car with the options that were offered by the manufacturer. I got antique tags for my 69 corvette and it has a L88 hood & hooker sidepipes & not painted the original color. The state is getting tougher on these applications, but its worth it not going through inspections and emmisions test.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:54 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I run the classic plate for two reasons. First, I like to drive my cars and the classic plate allowed me to put more miles on the car legally than does the antique plate. Secondly, and you may scoff at this one, I like the annual inspection to help me make sure the car is safe for the road. If you are driving it then it doesn't hurt to have it inspected. No emissions requirement for the classic plate so that aspect is a non issue. If you plan to drive it you might consider the classic plate. My two cents.
David Howard
77Sleeper
Old 08-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Drbluevert
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for all the good info

It was decided that a one-time fee and no inspections with antique tags is the way to go. First, because as a "drive-as-you-restore project and possible re-assignment later, it's more cost and time efficient to just jump in and run whenever time permits. Secondly, The out of state title already was mileage exempt with no recorded mileage, so records are already limited. Also, Haggerty is less than $200 per year with good coverage with antique tags. The only thing concerning is the Hooker Side pipes and the lack of lower trim pieces. With The windows up it looks like the windows have some sort of blue tint in the pictures.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:47 PM
nutsy
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

maybe you can find someone with the same year and color for pics. what do you have?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:03 PM
shank0668
Burning Brakes

Is ohio the same way? I would be F[] cked. My windows are $hi+ and my car is painted wrong
Old 08-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Bigwheel74
Instructor

I got an antique tag from Pa. for my 1974 last year. The tag place told me the same thing "has to be 100 % original." Mine is not even close to stock. It is painted black, has factory stlye sidepipes, an L-88 hood, and 1980's turbo style wheels . It has a 396 engine with 396 emblems on the hood. No problem, got the tag in a few weeks.

Think about it. Do you really believe that Pa. has an expert that works for the motor vehicle department that can say what is "original" for all makes and models going back 50-75 years? Even a rookie Corvette enthusiast could have seen that mine was not factory stock.

I think as long as you don't look like a far out custom car you will be fine. The big advantage with the Antique tag is the permanent registration and no yearly inspection. This way you don't have to sweat out the local inspection shop messing up your ride.

Go for it! The worse they can say is no.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

When I got my tags I didn't have the car in state and the wheels were aftermarket. I got rejected. But then someone from the forum here photo shopped some original wheels for me and I got my plates.

you can switch it up afterward but they need to see it unmodified. Iwas surprised they were so well informed!
Old 08-07-2009, 11:27 PM
whitehause
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Basically...unless it's dead on stock, don't bother.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Crab
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 2004 I applied for Classic plate for my 1980 that was bone stock original 11k mile Corvette, and got rejected because it had a " Chevrolet Heartbeat of America " license plate on the front bumper.
The following users liked this post:
Jeffs82c3 (05-11-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about PA Antique plate

Quick Reply: Questions about PA Antique plate