Sponsored by:

Idle Solenoid

Old 08-10-2009, 12:46 AM
ToplessLS3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Idle Solenoid

I have a 71' 270HP with A/C .

I am looking help locating the correct circuit for the Idle Solenoid.

(Kicks up the idle so the car doesn't stall with the A/C on.)

When I got the car, the A/C was completely disconnected and the

wiring under the hood was a nightmare.

What color is the wire (or should be) and where does it come from.

I have tried to read a wiring diagram, but I am no electrician that is for sure.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:12 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't know about '71 but my '72 does not have a solenoid to kick up the idle when the A/C is on.

It has an Idle Stop Solenoid to prevent dieseling when you turn off the engine.

On '71's you have a CEC solenoid which is a dual function solenoid. One function is to prevent dieseling and the other function is as a TCS solenoid which only allows vacuum advance in third and fourth gears with the engine at operating temperature and below 230 degrees.

Your solenoid has two wires and two vacuum hoses. I don't know what color your wires are but my single wire is dark tan/brownish.

They are mounted on the driver side of the carburetor with a bracket mounted to the corner. The wires run along the top edge of the valve cover and come from behind the coil.

You should double check all this with your A.I.M. but I believe one hose comes from the vacuum advance can on the distributor and the other one comes from the ported vacuum source tube on the upper left front of the carburetor. I do not know which hose goes to which port on the solenoid.

The '71 shop manual has exact instructions for setting your minimum idle speed but essentially you start by disconnecting the CEC solenoid then setting the idle speed to 400 rpm or the lowest speed that the engine will keep running at.

Then you plug the CEC back in and using a 1/2" open end wrench on the hex head of the plunger adjust the idle so that it pushes the throttle linkage enough to achieve 800 rpm or so. Turn it clockwise to lower the idle speed or counter clockwise for faster.

I have not had any problems with my '72 idle with the A/C running nor with dieseling in the three years I've had the idle stop solenoid installed.

I had lots of problems before I had one though.

cc

Last edited by CCrane65; 08-10-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:52 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

CC...good description of 71 setup. Just to add when looking at the CEC solenoid ports the vac advance hose connects to the left port and the ported carb hose connects to the right port. Two wires (blue & white) plug into the back of the solenoid.

Get notified of new replies

To Idle Solenoid

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idle Solenoid