Sponsored by:

Vintage air ordered

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Sundevil64
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Vintage air ordered

Well I ordered my Vintage Air kit for my 74.

I figured it would be easier than trying to reassemble the a/c in the car currently and not to mention much more efficient.

any tips? wish me luck.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Ken74Conv
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very interested in how it works out for you. My 74 has had the
ac removed and I wonder what can be used from the old system.
Thanks,
Old 08-20-2009, 10:14 AM
onempty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a 74 with AC but it has not worked since I bought the car. Please post pics and details on the install.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:46 AM
ccs96
Pro

St. Jude Donor 06-'07

Put one in my 76, not a bad job.
About the only thing you use from the old system is the control wheel, which is retrofitted with Vintage Air electronic controls.

Replace the original unit with a new one.

You get rid of the evaparator box on a previous a/c car.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:11 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by onempty
I also have a 74 with AC but it has not worked since I bought the car. Please post pics and details on the install.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:10 AM
jfleye
Advanced

Default Vitage air

Pulled the non working factory air in my 71 coupe. The kit came and if you read the instructions and spend time with the parts it worked well. They did send the wrong hose kit but when I called they figured out what the problem was and sent the new hose in 4 days. The layout under the dash was a litttle less than clear .
Now the number one thing---very cold air. The controls are very near the original and work better than the vaccumn line feed in the car.. You get to toss a hand full of rotten hoses and a bunch of cluttered wires if you are replacing factory air.

Number two thing---VERY COLD AIR
Worth the money in my eyes. I have a 69 I've worked on and still ony will blow 15 degree lower air and not enough of that.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Sundevil64
Pro

Originally Posted by jfleye
Pulled the non working factory air in my 71 coupe. The kit came and if you read the instructions and spend time with the parts it worked well. They did send the wrong hose kit but when I called they figured out what the problem was and sent the new hose in 4 days. The layout under the dash was a litttle less than clear .
Now the number one thing---very cold air. The controls are very near the original and work better than the vaccumn line feed in the car.. You get to toss a hand full of rotten hoses and a bunch of cluttered wires if you are replacing factory air.

Number two thing---VERY COLD AIR
Worth the money in my eyes. I have a 69 I've worked on and still ony will blow 15 degree lower air and not enough of that.
Thanks for the input. I'm looking forward to it. I am going to love having the extra room in the hood area.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:58 AM
CFD E59
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

I hear nothing but good things from Vintage. Let us know how it turns out?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:09 AM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Sundevil64
Well I ordered my Vintage Air kit for my 74.

I figured it would be easier than trying to reassemble the a/c in the car currently and not to mention much more efficient.

any tips? wish me luck.
Would it be ok to post a link or part number for your kit? Based on some of the comments here, I'm quite interested.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:44 PM
DJCorn
Instructor

Any updates?
Old 10-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Sundevil64
Pro

Default Vintage Air

Well kinda of.

I have spent the last 4 weeks trying to get the vendor (Copperhead Racing) to order it and getting shipped. After all they have my money. I kept getting the run around and promises that well get it shipped next Thursday...over and over. It was promised in 2-3 weeks plus shipping time (Vintage Air, I found out is 2hrs from my house). I kept getting reasons like "I have just been so busy, I'm trying to get around to it." The reason I am able to purchase this item for recreational purposes is because I am "busy". A bunch of apologies later I still hadn't had my a/c. So I finally contacted the manufacturer, Vintage Air in San Antonio. I spoke with the national sales manager, George. He was able to help me with the vendor and according to the UPS tracking number I should get it today. I had just spoken with George at Vintage Air Monday of this week.

Anyone who knows me, knows I gripe a lot about rules that don't work, inadequate people, and lack luster companies. I am not very tolerant with apathetic and incompetent people and/or organizations. Case in point the above referenced experience with Copperhead.

On the other hand I cannot say enough about the professionalism Vintage Air has demonstrated. They could have done a bunch of other things, but the easiest would have been to do nothing. Instead they jumped out in front and fixed a situation they had no fault creating. OUTSTANDING SERVICE! It was very, very refreshing to see this. I have another corvette (64) that when it's ready it will receive a Vintage Air kit. As far as I am concerned they have my business going forward.

So with that said, I should be able to get the install started shortly work allowing of course...
Old 10-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The smaller compressor is the more efficient part & weighs less.

I just changed the compressor on a working system.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:15 PM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default aftermarket verses factory

I have a hot rod air for mine that I need to get put in. My 1974 has been sitting for a while with the motor out [have new motor and trans] so I am out of excuses need to get started. I priced the parts out to repair the factory one and decided to go with aftermarket as it is actually cheaper than repairing the factory one. I can give you several reasons to ditch the factory unit

1. It sits out in the engine compartment absorbing heat from the engine
2. It uses r-12 and has to be updated to 134 [pita]
3. Parts cost more to repair than aftermarket complete kit
4. Aftermarket unit is more efficient

The only reason to have the factory unit is you are going for Bloomington Gold and need to put car back original. That isn't happening here.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:53 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default I have a Hot Rod Air unit also

they are in El Paso, I got mine direct from them. Eddie was a big help. It's a great unit!

http://www.hotrodair.com/index.cfm/p...rod/prd105.htm
Old 10-09-2009, 11:01 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Well kinda of.

I have spent the last 4 weeks trying to get the vendor (Copperhead Racing) to order it and getting shipped. After all they have my money. I kept getting the run around and promises that well get it shipped next Thursday...over and over. It was promised in 2-3 weeks plus shipping time (Vintage Air, I found out is 2hrs from my house). I kept getting reasons like "I have just been so busy, I'm trying to get around to it." The reason I am able to purchase this item for recreational purposes is because I am "busy". A bunch of apologies later I still hadn't had my a/c. So I finally contacted the manufacturer, Vintage Air in San Antonio. I spoke with the national sales manager, George. He was able to help me with the vendor and according to the UPS tracking number I should get it today. I had just spoken with George at Vintage Air Monday of this week.

Anyone who knows me, knows I gripe a lot about rules that don't work, inadequate people, and lack luster companies. I am not very tolerant with apathetic and incompetent people and/or organizations. Case in point the above referenced experience with Copperhead.

On the other hand I cannot say enough about the professionalism Vintage Air has demonstrated. They could have done a bunch of other things, but the easiest would have been to do nothing. Instead they jumped out in front and fixed a situation they had no fault creating. OUTSTANDING SERVICE! It was very, very refreshing to see this. I have another corvette (64) that when it's ready it will receive a Vintage Air kit. As far as I am concerned they have my business going forward.

So with that said, I should be able to get the install started shortly work allowing of course...
Well, that F'N blows because I just ordered my VA kit from Copper Head racing last week....they told me 3 wks for delivery. I have a timeline I am working on with my engine swap so I need that kit here on time. I might call em and put a bug in their ear.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Sundevil64
Pro

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Well, that F'N blows because I just ordered my VA kit from Copper Head racing last week....they told me 3 wks for delivery. I have a timeline I am working on with my engine swap so I need that kit here on time. I might call em and put a bug in their ear.

I would. Hopefully it will go much better for you than me. I wanted to have this car to paint next week, but it will not happen now until quite a bit later. I had pulled the interior and most of the engine bay minus the motor and I had a method to my madness of reassembling. I also didn't want to work on top of new carpet. The name of the person there is Delene. She is very pleasant on the phone, but don't be fooled. Of course you always want to be professional and not rude, but just be warned. She will say she will do something and not do it, again, and again (at least in my experience). Ask for a tracking number and follow up with call and/or emails promptly if you don't get it. I don't know what the deal is there. The amount of time she spent with me on the phone she could have ordered the part from Vintage Air. Their turn around time is 2-3 days. For me I had the item the next day since I am in central TX. Hopefully yours will be on schedule.

They offer the kit at a great price,but had I known how this would have gone I would have ordered it directly or from another distributor. There is a cost for everything.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:04 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

I would. Hopefully it will go much better for you than me. I wanted to have this car to paint next week, but it will not happen now until quite a bit later. I had pulled the interior and most of the engine bay minus the motor and I had a method to my madness of reassembling. I also didn't want to work on top of new carpet. The name of the person there is Delene. She is very pleasant on the phone, but don't be fooled. Of course you always want to be professional and not rude, but just be warned. She will say she will do something and not do it, again, and again (at least in my experience). Ask for a tracking number and follow up with call and/or emails promptly if you don't get it. I don't know what the deal is there. The amount of time she spent with me on the phone she could have ordered the part from Vintage Air. Their turn around time is 2-3 days. For me I had the item the next day since I am in central TX. Hopefully yours will be on schedule.

They offer the kit at a great price,but had I known how this would have gone I would have ordered it directly or from another distributor. There is a cost for everything.

***Deleted***

Refund issued.

Last edited by ajrothm; 10-12-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage air ordered

Old 10-09-2009, 02:29 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Well, I think I'm screwed....

I tried calling and emailing Copperhead, I have had no contact with them. I called Vintage Air and naturally, there has been no orders placed with them by Copperhead. Now when you go to Copperhead's website, the site is defunct.....ie. down, not working, no longer there, probably out of business. I feel a major screw job coming on. If I don't hear back from them by Monday afternoon, I will dispute it with the credit union and let them try to collect it, I can have a provisional refund within 48 hrs, then the CU will have to bury it in Copperhead's a$$....

I can't stand thieves....
Just wondering why you didn't order that system from a local dealer? or did you get some kind of discount from copperhead?My neighbor is a dealer and im planning on getting it from him when im ready.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:59 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redcruz1120
Just wondering why you didn't order that system from a local dealer? or did you get some kind of discount from copperhead?My neighbor is a dealer and im planning on getting it from him when im ready.

***Deleted***

Refund issued.

Last edited by ajrothm; 10-12-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

We have installed at least 6 Vintage air system in various classics cars and it's a great product. I'll be ordering on for my '68 in the next couple months.

Quick Reply: Vintage air ordered