Sponsored by:

Please Recommend Portable Garage/Carport

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:14 PM
drspencer
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Please Recommend Portable Garage/Carport

Could someone please recommend a good portable garage?

I live in New England, so it must be able to withstand harsh winters.

Sub question: What do I do for flooring? I was told that storing a car on grass, or even a gravel driveway, is asking for trouble.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2009, 12:04 AM
procketus
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

I've had this up for 2 yrs now. One good investment I made.
http://Name:  2008_0306truck30031.jpg
Views: 5550
Size:  163.4 KB
http://Name:  2008_0306truck30037.jpg
Views: 3016
Size:  45.7 KB

Shelter logic is the company.

Mines a 12x20, and the truck fits with enough room to work. The Vette has PLENTY of room. Both ends roll up, there are 8 posts screwed into the ground about 18 inches to hold it down. Hasn't moved yet. They do have a snow weight rating but down here we don't worry about that. The snow we do get literally falls off. Talked to the service people and she suggested spraying it with Pam. Did that and it worked great.

Northern Tool has them. Got mine for about 300 bucks.

Right now it is still on the ground, but I am gathering things up to install a floor under it.
Attached Images   
Old 12-04-2009, 12:08 AM
drspencer
Burning Brakes

That's a nice looking rig, couple of questions;

Does it lock?

Does it have ventilation?

How easy is the set up/install?

What would I use for flooring (mine will probably go on grass or a gravel parking lot)?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2009, 12:29 AM
procketus
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Man that was quick reply!
No, they don't lock. What I did is got a length of chain and and a cheap lock. So when we go away I just connect the chain to the zipper and lock it. Their website has many options may have some way to lock it. They even have an option for a door on the side of it.

Ventilates good. The very bottom of the sides can be lifted up for flow thru. I've been out working in there when the wind was really howling and barely get a whiff of it.

Set up was EASY to say the least. 2 of us had it up in just a few hrs. The hardest part was screwing the augers in the ground. Hard clay and middle of summer. Lots of bolts to put frame together but not bad.

I'm planning on building a subfloor out of some 3" channel I have with 3/4' boards for the flooring. But it could easily be installed on a concrete pad and install the augers in before concrete sets up.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:00 AM
turbo78vair
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portable cover

While in Western NY, we put up a Cover it 'tent' in which to house our motorhome. It was 40' long, 14' tall. It was quite the project to put together, but with my fearless crew of friends and a lift, we made it in a day and half.

Company at that time was out of New England. They made/make all sizes of covers. The cover held up great in the Western NY winters. I was worried about strong winds, but it just seemed to huff and puff along with the winds. Sorta afraid to look out the window in the morning to see if it was still there.

We made a stable gravel/rock base. Dug recesses for boards to go across for front and rear wheels to rest on.

Good luck in decision process.

Gary C
Old 12-04-2009, 07:37 AM
drspencer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turbo78vair

We made a stable gravel/rock base. Dug recesses for boards to go across for front and rear wheels to rest on.

Good luck in decision process.

Gary C

I was told that you don't want to store your car on grass/gravel. What can I use for a sub floor for my portable carport?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2009, 08:43 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Not sure where you are from but if it is in a snow climate look at the round ones. I have gone thru 2 of the types shown above oner the past 5 years in Mass while my brother inlaw in Maine is going on 7 years with his first round one. Snow loads seem to kill the sloped roofs. Here are some sites you can check out.

http://mdmshelters.com/
http://sheltersofnewengland.com/
http://theshelterman.com/
http://allzippedup.com/
Old 12-04-2009, 11:50 PM
69ragvette
Racer

Default carport

I needed a garage quick so I bought a metal carport $800 then went on craigs list and picked up a door for $50 and some metal to close it in $50 got some pallets free ,plywood $150 you can see mine http://photobucket.com/bertpayne
Old 12-05-2009, 12:11 AM
drspencer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 69ragvette
I needed a garage quick so I bought a metal carport $800 then went on craigs list and picked up a door for $50 and some metal to close it in $50 got some pallets free ,plywood $150 you can see mine http://photobucket.com/bertpayne
Hi-I'm not seeing any pics of your homemade garage in your photo album.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Sebago Shark
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Friend of mine has 2 of them. He levels out a good gravel base and then lays down pressure treated 2x4's flat 16" oc going across. 12 footers if shelter is 12 ft. Then screws down 3/4" t&g Advantech floor sheathing. Advantech is water resistant and holds up pretty good. He parks a good size Kabota and his 3/4 ton plow truck on it. You could put some deck stain on it too. Advantech-about $25.00 at Lowes or any lumber yard.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

I have the "COVER-IT" unit as well. I've had it almost 10 years and it's starting to show it's age, but still very useable. I laid down 2 layers of 5 MIL plastic (Home Depot) then 1/2" particle board (treated plywood would be better but cost more). My 88 PU has spent the last 10 years in the "tent" with no problems. I do have to relocate squirrels from time to time and throw moth ***** and mice bait around the base. I was going to build something more permanant (carport like) but the city wouldn't give me a permit because it would be to close to the lot line.

Gary
Old 12-05-2009, 09:26 AM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To store you won't need a floor. Put it up on 5 jack stands supported by 24 inch squares of 3/4 inch plywood. One each near the wheels and one front center. It'll be off the ground and no issues with flat spotted tires, and it's CHEAP.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:06 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I too have a Cover-it. In order to get more circulation in the shelter I cut out some rectangular holes and placed vent covers on them at each end. Just some nuts and bolts.

No matter what shelter you buy make sure after every snow storm you get out there with a broom and get the snow off. A foot of snow is heavy, throw in some ice and rain and more snow and you are only looking for trouble.

You dont say where you live but there is a dealer in Uxbridge, Ma.
I put down 2 layers of tarp on the ground to keep the moisture out but that is a major problem. I do not store my vette in there since it needs to be in a secure garage.

Good luck.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:54 PM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Here is a heavy duty one (12 X 20) from the east coast of Canada. Cover Tech http://www.cover-tech.com/portablegarages.htm
Name:  newpicture.jpg
Views: 3684
Size:  90.3 KB
Old 12-06-2009, 12:06 AM
69ragvette
Racer

Default garage

go to http://photobucket.com/bertpayne
Old 12-07-2009, 10:21 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a 10 x 20 Man Steel Shed. They install it within an hour. Comes with a metal floor but for a vehicle, they recommend putting 3/4" plywood as a floor (which I did). You go have to paint it which, isn't too big of a deal.

http://www.manproducts.com/

With this you never have to worry about snow caving in the roof or it blowing away

I got the 8" door option on both sides. Really is a convience to be able to go in either way.

Last edited by TWINRAY; 12-07-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 PM
John A F
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the rounded Shelterlogic from Northern Freight also. Its the 12'x20'x8' high model. I put down about a 12" layer of Item 4 and put a 3/4' CDX plywood floor over pressure treated 2x4' sleepers and 2x10's and tar roofing paper. I had trouble with the auger anchors going in so I had to dig 12" holes, put the augers in then fill them in with cement. My 3 neighbors and I had it up in an afternoon. The whole shebang cost less than $1000.00 My neighbor has a similar setup that has survived 10 years of southern New York winters and is still in good condition.

Get notified of new replies

To Please Recommend Portable Garage/Carport

Old 12-07-2009, 09:49 PM
turbojet
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi neighbor, thinking of buying one myself but was wondering does the town approve. I heard they were making owners take them down in Mahopac.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:13 PM
John A F
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by turbojet
Hi neighbor, thinking of buying one myself but was wondering does the town approve. I heard they were making owners take them down in Mahopac.
My neighbor had his up for ten years for his '85 Mustang GT convertible. It is just off his drive way right next to the street and nobody has said anything in all that time. Mine is in a location that is not visible form the street so I have no worries. Actually I live in Putnam Lake, but have a Brewster mailing address. If you live in a development that has a homeowners association, they may give you a hard time.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:04 AM
lock-n-load
Racer

Originally Posted by drspencer
I was told that you don't want to store your car on grass/gravel. What can I use for a sub floor for my portable carport?

Thanks
I wonder if its ok to store on asphalt or concrete or is the wood still better ?

Quick Reply: Please Recommend Portable Garage/Carport