Sponsored by:

Driver Door Mirror Template

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:13 PM
SD71VETTE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Driver Door Mirror Template

My 69 does not have the door mirror installed and before I start drilling in a good door skin I would like to ask for help. Does anyone have a template they could send me? I have researched old posts but nothing is listed that I could print or download.

Scott
Old 12-19-2009, 12:51 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Try contacting someone like Paragon or Ecklers, maybe they can send you a template, or if you have an assembly manual, there is a template guide in there.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Use the AIM as a guide. Google up pix of any late 68-72. Your mirror will mount in the same place.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:48 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I probably have the template from mounting my passenger door mirror. You should be able to use it for the correct measurements. PM me tomorrow as I am out of town until tomorrow night. I'll look for it.

Rob
Old 12-20-2009, 06:06 PM
flyingman21
Instructor

I believe there is some kind of backing that goes between the door skin and the metal. I am not 100% sure but that's what was on mine. I actually had to cut out a piece of the metal part of the door to remove my old rusted piece.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by flyingman21
...I believe there is some kind of backing that goes between the door skin and the metal....
A backing plate for mirror mounting is part of the driver's door. It's up under there, but difficult to see.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Default Vader vette

A deer knocked my driver side mirror off this summer on the way back from a car show. It broke the metal piece that the mirror hookes to so I ordered that whole part the gasket and the tear drop piece of metal. great part arrived quick, I take off the door Panel and low and be hold I would have had to taken a dremmel tool and cut a slot out of my window channel to use hold down bolts so luckly the stubs were sticking up so I flattened the stubs ,drilled and tapped the old one out .With the exception of A little raised area at the back of the mirror in the fiber glass I was lucky.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:40 PM
wills670
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
A backing plate for mirror mounting is part of the driver's door. It's up under there, but difficult to see.

There is a metal plate under the door skin.
When I had my door skin off the metal plate was hidden behind a metal support and it was attached with countersunk alum. rivets to the door skin.
I took the plate off of mine snadblasted it and reinstalled it with new rivets and also added some bonding adhesive to make sure it did not go anywhere after I rebonded the door skin.

I looked all thru my pics. of the door and I did not come up with pics. of the door skin but I did find one of the door frame and I outlined where the bracket is when the door skin installed.
Hope this helps, Wilson

Old 12-21-2009, 06:24 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a few pics that may help. I don't remember seeing a specific measurement in the AIM, but I could be wrong.
Glenn

Old 12-21-2009, 07:31 PM
SD71VETTE
Instructor

Thanks Rob!

I just sent you PM

Scott

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
I probably have the template from mounting my passenger door mirror. You should be able to use it for the correct measurements. PM me tomorrow as I am out of town until tomorrow night. I'll look for it.

Rob
Old 12-21-2009, 07:35 PM
SD71VETTE
Instructor

Guys,

Thanks for all the assistance and the pictures. The AIM shows how it mounts, but no measurements are shown or given. I know that plate is in there somewhere and I want to be as close as possible to it so I can possibly utilize it to mount the mirror. If not I will try the well nuts.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:50 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Scott, just emailed you with a scan of the template.

Rob
Old 12-22-2009, 08:26 PM
wills670
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sd69vette
Guys,

Thanks for all the assistance and the pictures. The AIM shows how it mounts, but no measurements are shown or given. I know that plate is in there somewhere and I want to be as close as possible to it so I can possibly utilize it to mount the mirror. If not I will try the well nuts.

If you are sure the plate is there you may be able to take a magnet and identfy where the plate is under the glass. If the plate is there you would be a whole lot better off finding the holes and using the metal bracket. The problem I have heard of is the well nuts tend to let the mirror shake quite a bit when people added the mirror to the pass. side.

I would also be concerned about large bit finding the metal bracket and ripping it loose when drilling out for well nuts. If that was to happen the problem could be a lot worse.

After you figure out the metal bracket is there you might have some luck with the template finding the exact place where it is and use a small drill bit to try and find the two factory holes. The mirror bracket that mounts to the door will cover up a little bit of mistakes. And if you get lucky enough to find the factory holes use a tap to clean up the threads you don't want to mess up the threads or strip them out.

Hope this helps, Wilson
Old 12-22-2009, 11:35 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 369 Likes on 218 Posts

See below for the mounting instructions and a copy of the template.

The template has dimensions on it so you can enlarge the printed copy as needed.

Roger
Old 12-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Guys, can anybody put the paper template back online for me??? Thanks!
Old 09-03-2015, 07:26 AM
bagpipes
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Digging up an old thread but does anyone have a copy of the chrome mirror template for the passengers door that they can post?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Not yet, hope somebody has to share...
Old 09-04-2015, 01:18 PM
bagpipes
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_dog
Not yet, hope somebody has to share...
I'll have em both by the end of the week - will scan and post. It's really odd that nobody has these anywhere on line.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:25 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Guys any update??? thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Driver Door Mirror Template

Quick Reply: Driver Door Mirror Template